Start by marking “Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)

Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Union Major Abel Jones, Welsh immigrant and veteran of Britain's distant wars, survives the battle's slaughter only to face the riddle of a different kind of massacre. Far from the cries and smoke of combat, forty murdered slaves hang at a crossroads. Their blood may be on Northern as well as Southern hands, with devastating political repercussions. Though few are concerne ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by HarperTorch (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Call Each River Jordan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Each River Jordan

LemonLinda
In book three of the Abel Jones series by this author, forty slaves are found after they have been butchered and/or hung in the area which now lies directly between the two armies. Jones is sent as an emissary of the US Government with papers for safe passage into enemy territory to work with the Confederates to solve this mystery. He encounters more horrors of war, rampant prejudice and danger lurking at every turn, but he is intuitive and together with a couple of Confederates is able to uncov ...more
Suzanne
At first I commended the author on how well he mimicked the prejudices and small mindedness of the average 19th Century person. Then I found out who he is in real life and realized that those are his actual opinions today and it's no great stretch. Books are still entertaining, though. He's a talented writer.

But don't BUY them if you're a liberal. Get them from the library. You don't want your money going to this Fox News contributor who has vilified captured servicemen in uniform, called for th
Sam
This was the first book by Owen Parry I had ever read! I've read other Civil War mysteries, but they don't hold a candle to the Abel Jones mysteries that Parry has written. I not only couldn't put the book down, but I was transported into the Civil War like never before. In the story, Abel Jones heads south to solve a gruesome crime involving Confederates and 40 murdered slaves. I highly recommend this series to any Civil War buff who loves mystery and suspense! This first person account of a We ...more
Jan Aldergate
I like historical mysteries and I am interested in the Civil WAr, so this book was right up my alley. Love the character of Abel Jones, and the way he is written. As the book is first person narrative, very clever handling of his character so that you realise that not all of his observations are quite true. Mr Parry has the Welsh lilt down and the mystery in this one was really secondary to the portrayal of the South during the War. But a satisfying conclusion in which Abel accounts for himself ...more
Donna
Another Civil novel with the same main character, Abel Jones, now a Captain. This one is set in the South just after the battle of Shiloh and Captain Abel is sent to solve the mystery of the brutal deaths of 40 slaves who have attempted to run away to the North. This one has much more battle detail and some interesting Confederate characters. Again, I enjoyed the historical information. Captain Abel is a very likable character. Owen Parry has a great gift of detail as he unravels the story.
Rick
I don't know what happened but I lost interest over the course of a month as I plugged away. I enjoyed the first book in the series several yrs ago, didn't care for the second nearly as much, and now--after getting into the Civil War/Lincoln the past several years--thought I was primed to return.
Parry is a superb writer, too.
Lackluster rating is likely more me than Parry because I haven't been able to finish 3 of the last 4 I've read. I need a good book that I can enjoy and finish...
Rick
Book Three in Owen parry's Abel Jones Civil War mystery series. This was another really good one. This time, Maj. Jones is sent by General Grant across Confederate lines to investigate a massacre of 40 runaway slaves. Lots of action as a result of this.....and again, Parry's style of storytelling rises above the typical to become very well-written literature. He has really captured the style of speaking and thinking of the time. I'd highly recommend this book.
Marvin
Parry creates likable, complex characters who are open enough to learn from people they have been acculturated to dismiss as inferior. There are some interesting observations about religion, too, as when a young runaway slave explains to the main character, a pious (though not extreme) Methodist, "how com Jesus was a Negro" (236-39).
Karen Hogan
If you like anything to do with the civil war and you like a good mystery, you'll like this book about a yankee soldier who joins a rebel officer who tries to find the murderers of a group of free slaves. Very good read.
David Manuel
I'm hooked! Historical fiction, memorable character in Able Jones, wonderful writing/descriptions. I got this book as a free download and have bought #1 in the series. .
Staci
As enjoyable as the Abel Jones series can be, this book seemed a little light on plot to me. It simply didn't seem to flow as easily as the first two novels.
Lisa Rathbun
I know it's book 3, but I read it first. The first person narrative has a distinctive voice that sticks with you. Now I want to read more in this series. (L)
Andrea
Imaginative and haunting. A good mystery set very much in the midst of the American Civil War. Surprisingly I had no difficulties with the grammar.
Mark Shannon

Mystery, suspense, American history. What a wonderful combination.
Maureen
Love this series of books. Civil War Mystery.
John