Start by marking “Our Simple Gifts: Civil War Christmas Tales” as Want to Read:
Our Simple Gifts: Civil War Christmas Tales

Our Simple Gifts: Civil War Christmas Tales

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A Union officer struggles homeward through a Christmas Eve snowstorm, haunted by loss and doubtful of the future. Paroled from a brutal prison camp, a young southern soldier yearns to find the one person he loves most in the world -- and worries over the devastation rumored to have reached his family's mountain. An immigrant private plans a startling Christmas surprise for ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Our Simple Gifts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Simple Gifts

Graceann
What a beautiful little book; four short stories set during Civil War Christmases. In the first and longest story, a Union officer is struggling just to get home to his family. In the second, a Union private has a secret. The penultimate story features a young Confederate getting advice from his grandmother on the subject of family harmony. And finally, a freed slave ponders the nature of forgiveness at Christmastime.

These are unapologetically spiritual stories, meant to uplift. Cynics and thos
Jack
The word wonderful springs to mind when trying to describe the stories in this little book.
Ralph Peters, writing as Owen Parry, takes us back in time - 150 years - Christmas during the American Civil War.
For me its as if I was standing to one side and actually watching the events unfold.The sounds, the smells, the colors - Peters seems to have this knack of capturing it all for the reader.
Daniel
I am always on the look-out for short Christmas-related stories, and I liked the idea of these being set in the Civil War time, but only the first story struck a chord with me, and even at that, it was quite predictable.

Not a collection to recommend.
Linda
Written in 2002, Owen Parry's Our Simple Gifts: Civil War Christmas Tales contains four stories from a war fought 150 years ago. A Union soldier, haunted by loss, struggles to return home through a Christmas Eve snowstorm; a Confederate soldier released from a brutal prison camp has a Christmas night reunion with his grandmother, the person he loves most; an immigrant soldier plans a Christmas surprise for his comrades; a freed slave struggles between feelings of revenge or compassion toward his ...more
Rick
I am a Parry fan and this certainly deepened my appreciation for his craftsmanship. The final story is the weaker of the four, perhaps only in relative terms, but the strength of the prior three more than carries this short book and hence earns from me 5 stars. Inspired writing and inspirational stories of the Civil War that emphasize the humanity. Parry creates a setting that I can picture and with people who seem real enough to care about. A perfectly timed read right before Christmas helped p ...more
Sherri
Short stories that pack a punch. Four different character stories in which you could tell how the Civil War affected them and humanity as they return to their homes or trying to celebrate Christmas, all while being reminded or remembering the real Reason for the Season.
Jacquelynn Fritz
This book is four short stories about four men during the Civil War. They each in their own way bring the true meaning of Christmas to those around them. The stories are good, but I was left wanting a whole book about each man and what happened to him after Christmas.
Boyd
A fitting read for the holidays. These stories teach us about charity, fellowship, the love of family, and forgiveness; during a time in the history of the United States, which is still felt to this day.
Valli
I enjoyed reading these moving Christmas stories from the Civil War time period.
Doug
Lovely little short stories about Christmas, but taking place during the Civil War.
Greg
Set of Christmas stories set in the American Civil War. I prefer the Abel Jones stories.
Veronica
I found the book simplistic,inspiring as a children's story, but not thought-provoking.
Hapzydeco
A storyteller collection of tales celebrating the enduring spirit of Christmas.
P.W. Singer
Enojyed it much. Room even "got a bit dusty" during one of the sadder stories.
Hal
too bad the series dried up
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Annette Mccormick
Annette Mccormick marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Elizabeth Hermesch
Elizabeth Hermesch marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
tm
tm added it
Dec 19, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
DC547
DC547 marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Eve Martin
Eve Martin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Marianne Skarshaug
Marianne Skarshaug marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Faded Coat of Blue (Abel Jones, #1) Shadows of Glory (Abel Jones, #2) Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3) Honor's Kingdom (Abel Jones, #4) Bold Sons of Erin (Abel Jones, #5)