Start by marking “The Arthurian Tradition” as Want to Read:
The Arthurian Tradition

The Arthurian Tradition (Elements Of Series)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Allowing readers to embark on a pictorial journey into the treasure house of Arthurian lore and legend, this book brings the magical world of Arthur alive. The author shares insights into stories, characters, sources and inner meaning with a look at Merlin, King Arthur in history and myth, the Grail Quest and Arthur in the modern world. By the author of The Elements of the ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Element Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Arthurian Tradition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arthurian Tradition

Arthurian Lucre
This short arthurian non fiction book left me a bit perplexed. I- I am not sure what to think about it. I liked the small chapters which were quite interesting and well written down, I was quite curious about the "exercise" part. As an atheist scientist I couldn't see much the point of it but they were truly fun, at least some of them.

I can't give it full stars because it was really short and the quantity of informations is not very big or innovative. I think that the only chapters I truly found
Al Gritten
Nov 25, 2012 Al Gritten rated it liked it
This is a very readable overview of the Arthur of history and of legend by a well-written and world renowned scholar of Arthurian legend. He begins with the historical Arthur, Merlin, Guinevere, and Lancelot and then adds the early pagan legends that developed around them, and then explores the means by which these early legends were later Christianized. He explores not just the people but also the legends around Camelot, the Grail, and Avalon. He looks at some of the potential spiritual signifi ...more
Debbie
Who was Arthur? Was he the war leader of a Celtic tribe? The last bastion of Roman "civilization" left behind to defend Britain against the invading Saxons? Was he real or just legend? How does Merlin and the Holy Grail fit into this legend?

John Matthews offers a brief and informative look at the legend of King Arthur and how many streams of myth, legend and history fed into his current incarnation.
Maureen Hickey
Aug 04, 2014 Maureen Hickey rated it it was ok
I was hoping to learn more about the Arthurian legends I hold so dear, but there was nothing I didn't already know. Disappointing. And also the narrator sounded like he truly believed in the legends and encouraged all of us to go on "The Quest" for the Holy Grail. I honestly don't know if he was being serious or not.
Karen
Oct 03, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: pop-culture
I was going along just fine until I got to the end and realized that this author is in some sort of Arthur related society (cult?). That's just weird, to say the least.
Monique
Aug 24, 2015 Monique rated it liked it
Pretty interesting survey of Arthurian traditions. What I really appreciated was the book list at the end from which I can continue my exploration of this topic.
Juliet
Jul 19, 2007 Juliet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A great introductory book on Arthurian legends. Includes wonderful pictures and stories as well.

Letricia Brooks
Letricia Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mike Smith
Mike Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Pryvian Morgiana
Pryvian Morgiana rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Matt Patton
Matt Patton rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Lori Reed
Lori Reed marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Matthew Goodsmith
Matthew Goodsmith marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Trista Weir
Trista Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Mar 15, 2016
Jennifer Stewart
Jennifer Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Baylee Burger
Baylee Burger rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Xan
Xan rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Ricardo Neves
Ricardo Neves marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Nick Boldrini
Nick Boldrini rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Jennifer Cearley
Jennifer Cearley rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Jamiila
Jamiila marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Matthews is an historian, folklorist and author. He has been a full time writer since 1980 and has produced over ninety books on the Arthurian Legends and Grail Studies, as well as short stories and a volume of poetry. He has devoted much of the past thirty years to the study of Arthurian Traditions and myth in general. His best known and most widely read works are ‘Pirates’ (Carlton/Atheneum ...more
More about John Matthews...

Elements Of Series (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Elements Of Earth Mysteries (Elements Of Series)
  • Elements of Christian Symbolism
  • The Elements of Technical Writing (Elements of Series)
  • The Elements of Celtic Tradition
  • The Elements Of The Runes (Elements Of Series)
  • Celtic Christianity (The "Elements of..." Series)
  • The I Ching (Elements Of Series)
  • The Chakras (Elements Of Series)
  • The Elements of NLP (Elements)
  • Prophecy (The Elements of.....Series)