Start by marking “A Rose for Mrs. Miniver: The Life of Greer Garson” as Want to Read:
A Rose for Mrs. Miniver: The Life of Greer Garson

A Rose for Mrs. Miniver: The Life of Greer Garson

In this first-ever biography of Greer Garson, Michael Troyan sweeps away the many myths that even today veil her life. The true origins of her birth, her fairy-tale discovery in Hollywood, and her career struggles at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer are revealed for the first time. Garson combined an everywoman quality with grace, charm, and refinement. She won the Academy Award in ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by University Press of Kentucky (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Rose for Mrs. Miniver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose for Mrs. Miniver

Stephanie
Feb 06, 2008 Stephanie rated it liked it
I'm probably one of about 5 people who read this book. I used to have a HUGE thing for Greer Garson movies when I was in my early adolescence. As a librarian, finding out that Garson began her adulthood as a researcher for Encyclopedia Britannica was pretty cool! A well-educated, strong woman, Greer Garson had a full career in film and went on to help fund a theater in Santa Fe, her adopted home. There's not a lot of dirt here, but maybe she didn't have much dirt in her life anyway?
Jennifer Taylor
Jun 04, 2016 Jennifer Taylor rated it it was ok
The author relied too much on old source materials with virtually no interviews from those who knew her best, which doesn't give the reader any real insight. It glossed over any difficult times in her life, and perhaps presented her too much through rose-tinted glasses (pun intended). The book also got bogged down with at times with tedious plot breakdowns of her films.
Ginger
Oct 02, 2016 Ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
Greer Garson is my absolute favorite actress, but the book was a slow read. Very thorough in telling of her life. So enjoyed learning new tidbits I did not know about her
Gift from my husband.
Hope
Dec 13, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
Greer Garson was a class act and her biography, A Rose for Mrs. Miniver, accentuated that. I have nothing profound to say about the book, but the quotes below show some of the reasons why I admire her:

"But there were fewer opportunities in the 1970’s for her. Filmmakers rarely made the sophisticated, romantic comedies or dramas that she preferred, and she refused to join her Hollywood peers like Joan Crawford, Olivia de Havilland, and Bette Davis who were making horror films like Whatever Happen
Roger
Feb 03, 2009 Roger rated it really liked it
I met the author, Mike Troyan, at a book signing event I did at a Barnes & Noble in Citrus Heights, where Mike serves as the community relations manager. Mike and I share a love for classic movies, and Greer Garson is one of the actresses who brought class to the classics. Mike's biography of Garson is comprehensive and illuminating, not only providing a great portrait of the actress but also wonderful details about the films she made. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves films ...more
Rachel
Jan 23, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen four of Greer Garson's movies: "Mrs. Miniver", "Goodbye, Mr. Chips", "Random Harvest" and "Pride and Prejudice". I was curious to learn of her life so I read this biography. It was refreshing to read about an entertainer with good morals. She led a very interesting life and achieved her dreams.
Sally McMullin
I bought this book at Pecos National Monument after a visit there. Interesting about this movie star's life and her and her husband's interest in saving this Pecos Pueblo, which was on their ranch, for future generations to enjoy.
Christine Sinclair
Mar 12, 2016 Christine Sinclair rated it really liked it
Excellent biography of one of the brightest lights in the movies. It's incredible that this is the first and only biography of Greer Garson, but it is so well-researched, so complete and so glowing that we don't need any others. Well done, Michael Troyan!
Mike Milton
Jun 20, 2013 Mike Milton rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-film
Good insights on one of the classic actresses of the Golden Era. Well written and enjoyable read for those who enjoy film star biographies. Read Irene Dunne's and Jimmy Stewart's after this.
Sally
A real tome of a book, yikes. Interesting but not one of my favourites - at times it was just TOO long.
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Loni
Loni rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2011
Saklani
Saklani rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Christine Mathieu
Christine Mathieu rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2007
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Khd
Khd rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Marta
Marta rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Anne McMullen
Anne McMullen rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Trueboardman
Trueboardman rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2011
Rob Pruden
Rob Pruden rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2011