Start by marking “Glory Goes and Gets Some” as Want to Read:
Glory Goes and Gets Some

Glory Goes and Gets Some

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  22 reviews
How is a woman in her thirties, HIV-positive and fresh out of rehab, supposed to find love and work in contemporary, urban America, steering clear of self-pity and doctrinaire "happy-talk"? This linked short story collection shows how Glory goes and gets some.

Emily Carter's debut traces Glory‚s stay in Minnesota’s recovery community, from halfway houses in blighted urban n
Published September 1st 2000 by Coffee House Press

To ask other readers questions about Glory Goes and Gets Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory Goes and Gets Some

Howard
Always interesting and sometimes dazzling, a collection of stories and fragments from the life of a self-destructive upper middle-class bad girl.

Emily Carter grew up in a privileged Upper East Side home, the daughter of feminist writer Anne Roiphe, and proceeded to explore other options, ending up a HIV+ recovering junkie. Presumably autobiographical, these linked stories about a recovering addict named Glory, set largely in New York City and Minneapolis (the addiction and recovery capitals of t
Genevieve Tyrrell
Effing awesome. The language in this is extraordinary and experimental even. Carter also has such a wonderfully powerful- in your face - provocative voice which isn't always something I've been exposed to from a female writer, yet she also retains a level of self humility and raw brokeness I admire.
Sue Seeger
This was some gritty stuff right here, but felt very immediate. In your face good, but not for wimps.
Diann Blakely
This fetchingly titled, début collection of interlinked short stories concerns a still often-ignored demographic: HIV-positive young women from the middle and upper-middle classes. The protagonist is fresh out of rehab and has some hilarious things to say about the American recovery community. In her sardonic but heartfelt chronicle of getting beyond heroin and alcohol abuse, she meets “an awful lot of people...who talked the talk, all the time. Their faces seemed to glow, and they’d go on and o ...more
T.R.
Raw, real writing that will make you think, smile, and cry.
Chicklit
This book started strong. I was absolutely mesmerized by the writing in the first half of the book. The Glory stories were raw and truthful and beautiful. In the second half of the book, though, Glory becomes a less prominent character and the writing seemed to lose some of the sharpness it had in the first half. The stories were more traditional and less compelling.

Still, this book deserves four stars for being some of the best short story writing published today.
Michelle Llewellyn
Whenever I find myself getting bored and skimming, that's when a book only gets one or two stars for being redundant. I have trouble sympathizing with characters, in this case one very egotistical female character, who glory in self-destructive behavior. Once we finally got around to the "AIDS" part and all its glory it was time to get off this snowball and go read some Coetzee. Hey, we should get those two together!
Eyna
In some parts of the book where Glory talks about her struggle
in dealing with substance and behavioral addiction, I can imagine
how frustrating it is -- having the feeling of being unwanted.

Though I don't find the book a compelling read, the author's manner
of writing is rhythmic and superb. Her narrating persona, I can say,
is brutally honest.
Caryn Rose
I hated it. I loved it. I wanted to throw it across the room. It made me cry unexpectedly, usually on the subway, which just increased my love/hate relationship with it. In the end I was glad I read it and would recommend it to others, but just be warned that you may have the same kind of reaction and don't give up!
elizabeth
Ignore the tacky cover pictured here (or go for the Picador edition if you can find it). If you've ever been caught by addiction or love or Minnesota or funny women, you should read this book. And you probably should if you haven't, because you will be. The title story is brilliant.
dora morgan
at first i really liked the style of this person's writing . before end of book though, i was pretty depressed and couldnt get through last story or two. i know- i am way too impressionable..... would like to check out any other things by this author though.
Elanor
The spirit of humor, even whilst in the throws of self-destruction, is devestatingly honest. I'm recommending this book to a Dr. friend who's an HIV specialist who works at the local free clinic . . . I'll report back his findings.
Rock
You know that cheap thrill you get when some book you're reading or show you're watching mentions your provincial hometown? The cool thing about Glory is there's lots of thrills in addition to that type of thrill.
Kate
Jan 24, 2010 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recovering Minnesotans
Recommended to Kate by: Emily, in a way
"Those people from the Midwest. Oh, they're clever. Watch the snowflakes fall, observe the sky change from blue to black to blue again, and think and think and think before they speak."
Tina Carstensen Lopez
Feb 21, 2012 Tina Carstensen Lopez rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Loretta, dear friends
Recommended to Tina by: Jeannine reminded me about it
I loved this book. Teaches you to love the characters for being brave and trying even if they fail. Honest and smart interpretations of people not often portrayed fairly.
Katie Cruel
A close call between three and four. The stories are well crafted and stand alone great but the momentum is lost about 1/2 the way into the story cycle.
Kathleen
When you might want to leave the world behind and read something totally stupid, turn to Glory before you abandon all hope of 'serious' fiction.
Leila Cohan-Miccio
Really beautifully written, but I lost interest when the stories weren't about Glory.
Dawn
My favorite part of the book was that it took place in MN
Dan
gritty short stories from the US.
Erin El Issa
Erin El Issa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Emily Graham
Emily Graham marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Sanders.noah
Sanders.noah marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
layla
layla marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
  • No More Nice Girls: Countercultural Essays
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • Pills, Thrills, Chills, and Heartache: Adventures in the First Person
  • Nice Big American Baby
  • The Best American Short Stories 2004
  • Airless Spaces
Mature Reading Instruction Set 2: Box Set Books 1-10 (MRI Mature Reading Instruction) Mature Reading Instruction Set 4: Box Set Books 1-10 (MRI Mature Reading Instruction) Mature Reading Instruction Set 3: Box Set Books 1-10 (MRI Mature Reading Instruction) Mature Reading Instruction Set 1: Box Set Books 1-10 (MRI Mature Reading Instruction) Mature Reading Instruction Starter Set: Box Set Books 1-10 (MRI Mature Reading Instruction)

“Like so many other kids gone wrong from my time, place, and class, I thought it glamorous to be self-destructive. Unfortunately, I had also always known that this was a stupid and callow way to think.” 3 likes
“Like diabetes, she referred to it. Diabetics take insulin. In the same way, people with bipolar disorders took lithium, and alcoholics went to AA. Diabetes is the all-purpose analogy in my culture. Everybody has some form of it that needs to be tended on a maintenance basis. No one is ever cured, no one gets all the way well.” 3 likes