Start by marking “Selected Philosophical Writings” as Want to Read:
Selected Philosophical Writings

Selected Philosophical Writings

St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) saw religion as part of the natural human propensity to worship. His ability to recognize the naturalness of this phenomenon and simultaneously to go beyond it--to explore, for example, spiritual revelation--makes his work as fresh and readable today as it was seven centuries ago.
This accessible new translation offers thirty-eight substantia
Published August 20th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Philosophical Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Philosophical Writings

Brent McCulley
Jan 02, 2016 Brent McCulley rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Reading Aquinas is like listening to your Aunt Bev lecture you on post WWII politics...utterly boring but you know you are obligated to listen and simply nod your head and say "mmhmm" every minute or so.

Nevertheless, I did absorb a good amount of this material. And despite all the repetition, there were a few gems in this book, as it is organized quite nicely with an index in the back which I am sure I will consult anytime I need Aquinas' philosophical opinion on the matter.

Necessary reading.
Regan
Feb 22, 2015 Regan rated it it was amazing
I always forget that Thomas is surprisingly funny.
Nathan
Nov 11, 2016 Nathan rated it really liked it
Nice compilation of some of the Dumb Ox's writings. It's fairly standard Aquinas. If you don't want to spend the money on Aquinas' actual volumes, I would recommend this text and the one called "Selected Writings" published by Penguin. I would start with this one, and then move on to the Penguin one. It's a good way to understand Aquinas' main conclusions and arguments (albeit this is just brushing the snow off, not even scratching the surface. Aquinas runs deep...) and figuring out if Aquinas i ...more
Nox Prognatus
Sep 03, 2013 Nox Prognatus rated it liked it
This book is full of earlier Philosophers work, such as Aristotle, Pseudo-Dionysus, Boethius etc.. it does have Aquinas own take on matters. The book skips back and forth and is very repetitive for the few gems within. one thing is clear, that Aquinas was borrowed out of context by Catholicism and the fact he draws heavily on Earlier Greek philosophy proves it. Some really good sections on life after death, energy and soul. Overall I found the reading repetitive and tedious in places.
Rosemary Reilly
Of course, I didn't read all of it. How could I. But I did read some of it for a class I took on Aquinas's Philosophy of Religion last semester when I was studying in Dublin. And I feel like that effort counts for something.
Daniel2
Dec 22, 2009 Daniel2 rated it it was amazing
Extremely glad I read this. Some arguments are unstable(very few), but for the most part very sold.
Meister90
May 02, 2016 Meister90 rated it it was ok
Aquinas is a methodical thinker with some useful insights, but based on this translation I would never read him again. The writing is unbearably dull. I had to really slog through this one.
Catherine
Feb 18, 2013 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: history, religion
The law section was revolutionary and fascinating. Still prefer to watch paint dry, not because it's more interesting but because it's less theologically problematic.
Cliodhna Ni Ghadhra
Jul 20, 2014 Cliodhna Ni Ghadhra rated it liked it
I am so heartbroken to be away from England that I am giving all its related books mediocre reviews.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Sep 07, 2012 нєνєℓ ¢ανα rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Thought-provoking and so insightful!
Liam Judge
Liam Judge rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it did not like it
Mar 20, 2008
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Jeremy Johnston
Jeremy Johnston rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Shiran Avni barmatz
Shiran Avni barmatz rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Szoki
Szoki rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Gregorio
Gregorio rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Kasi
Kasi rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2008
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Matthew Holmes
Matthew Holmes rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Roberta
Roberta rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Gordon Clark
Gordon Clark rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Denny Hooten
Denny Hooten rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Matthew G
Matthew G rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Gordon Greaves
Gordon Greaves rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Filippocarlo
Filippocarlo rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2007
Dalton Mortimer
Dalton Mortimer rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2014
Masha
Masha rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • The Discourses & Other Early Political Writings (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • An Exhortation to Martyrdom, Prayer and Selected Works
  • The Necessity of Atheism and Other Essays
  • Apologia Pro Vita Sua (A Defense of One's Life)
  • Papers and Journals
  • Gag Rule: On the Suppression of Dissent and the Stifling of Democracy
  • The Three Ages Of The Interior Life: Prelude of Eternal Life
  • Hellenistic Philosophy; Introducing Readings
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
Thomas Aquinas (sometimes styled Thomas of Aquin or Aquino), was a Dominican friar and priest notable as a scholastic theologian and philosopher. He is honored as a saint and "Doctor of the Church" in the Roman Catholic tradition.

Aquinas lived at a critical juncture of western culture when the arrival of the Aristotelian corpus in Latin translation reopened the question of the relation between fai
More about Thomas Aquinas...