Start by marking “On Politics and Ethics” as Want to Read:
On Politics and Ethics

On Politics and Ethics

The selections not only include St. Thomas Aquinas’s views on government, law, war, property, and sexual ethics, but also provide the theological, epistemological, and psychological background for his political and ethical thought, including the Five Proofs on the existence of God and Aquinas’s theories of knowledge, the soul, the purpose of man, and the order of the unive

Published November 17th 1987 by W.W. Norton & Company

Sara
Apr 05, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Religious thinkers
I disagree with most of Aquinas' philosophy on moral issues, probably because I'm not a religious person and the majority of his opinions are based exclusively in scriptures and writings by earlier saints, but he did have a huge effect on the way religion was thought about and talked about. He introduced the concept of rational thought to the Catholic church, and that's a huge moment in history. I did like the section at the end of the book that had essays with modern interpretations of Aquinas' ...more
Trice
Another one I'm really wanting to reread, but need to get to some others first... I'm sure I'll wander back some day. The portion of Aquinas' writings that were included was far too abbreviated, but what was there was very good/interesting/thought-provoking. And the 'source' documents as well as the responses to Aquinas' works were great reads, if some bits denser and so, slower than others.
Bria
Nov 12, 2008 Bria rated it it was ok
Oh man I know he was all a big important thinker of the time, and I have to take into account the culture and where he was coming from but I am just not equipped to stomach all this weaksauce bullshit.
Itai
Apr 19, 2009 Itai rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I heard an interesting interview with two Swiss medieval philosophy scholars, Joel Lonfat and Bettina Kreissl-Lonfat on The Saint Cast (a podcast I subscribe to on iTunes - this was episode #114), which got me interested enough to read more. Their website is here: http://scriptorium.mediaevaliter.com/...
Sam Luce
Jan 26, 2017 Sam Luce rated it liked it
Started really well then as most Catholic theologians do save Augustine he takes a harsh left turn and totally disagree with his assertion of the nature of sin, law and man. But was a good read overall.
Tyler
Nov 11, 2014 Tyler rated it liked it
interesting in context. somewhat revolutionary attempt to embrace parts of Greek thought that were typically rejected at the time. Yet another religious dude that can only see the world through the lens of his dogma, starts with the conclusion, and insists on baptizing Plato.
Myranda
Dec 31, 2015 Myranda rated it did not like it
Shelves: assigned-reading
Much too much.
Zaman Ali
Mar 07, 2017 Zaman Ali rated it it was amazing
Good one for those who follow augustine or platoism because it shares the theologian ideas and and provides reason to those idea that's why need to read for understaning certian point of views.
Shaun Kenney
Mar 04, 2012 Shaun Kenney rated it it was amazing
If I had only one book to offer someone on scholastic thought... this would be the one-volume I would pull down from the shelf.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Shelves: theology
None
Phillip Johnston
Dec 09, 2012 Phillip Johnston rated it really liked it
Short summary of Aquinas's works with selections that show both the Aristotelean tradition and why he was one of the primary church doctors. Also has useful commentary included.
Ginnie Grant
Jan 30, 2015 Ginnie Grant rated it it was ok
try as I might I could not get behind Aquinas' ideology. I do give it points for langauge and being well written though.
ryan
May 18, 2007 ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: read_philosophy
interesting stuff. religion is some crazy stuff. amazing how much it affects. and also amazing how long some of those effects last/continue to last.
Barros  Juan Pablo
Feb 04, 2009 Barros Juan Pablo rated it liked it
util
Abby Ang
Dec 20, 2012 Abby Ang rated it liked it
Reread from Civ. I really liked it this time around, and really appreciated how clearly his reasoning was, even though it's not always something I agreed with.
Giligadi
Sep 23, 2010 Giligadi rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Three stars, mainly because i disagreed with his shrill and antiquated moral perspective. Still an interesting read, even for an agnostic.
Taylor Marshall
Taylor Marshall rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Leonora
Leonora rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2008
Aaron York
Aaron York rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Marie Kolbe
Marie Kolbe rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Jloffler
Jloffler rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Jacob Jenner
Jacob Jenner rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2017
IsaacG
IsaacG rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Jeira Eriza
Jeira Eriza rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Donna McKereghan
Donna McKereghan rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
  • On Free Choice of the Will
  • The Christian Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
  • A History of Philosophy, Vol. 7: Modern Philosophy, from the Post-Kantean Idealists to Marx, Kierkegaard, and Nietzsche
  • Introducing Heidegger
  • Philosophy of Science: The Central Issues
  • Catholicism: New Study Edition--Completely Revised and Updated
  • Persecution and the Art of Writing
  • The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures
  • Monologion and Proslogion with the Replies of Gaunilo and Anselm
  • The Four Cardinal Virtues
  • Back to Virtue: Traditional Moral Wisdom for Modern Moral Confusion
  • Discourse on Free Will
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume II)
  • Three Treatises
  • Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer
  • In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience
  • Fides et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason
  • The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis
Thomas Aquinas (sometimes styled Thomas of Aquin or Aquino), was a Dominican friar and priest notable as a scholastic theologian and philosopher. He is honored as a saint and "Doctor of the Church" in the Roman Catholic tradition.

Aquinas lived at a critical juncture of western culture when the arrival of the Aristotelian corpus in Latin translation reopened the question of the relation between fai
More about Thomas Aquinas...