Start by marking “On Politics and Ethics” as Want to Read:
On Politics and Ethics

On Politics and Ethics

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  13 reviews

The selections not only include St. Thomas Aquinas’s views on government, law, war, property, and sexual ethics, but also provide the theological, epistemological, and psychological background for his political and ethical thought, including the Five Proofs on the existence of God and Aquinas’s theories of knowledge, the soul, the purpose of man, and the order of the unive

Published November 17th 1987 by W.W. Norton & Company

Sara
Aug 07, 2013 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Religious thinkers
I disagree with most of Aquinas' philosophy on moral issues, probably because I'm not a religious person and the majority of his opinions are based exclusively in scriptures and writings by earlier saints, but he did have a huge effect on the way religion was thought about and talked about. He introduced the concept of rational thought to the Catholic church, and that's a huge moment in history. I did like the section at the end of the book that had essays with modern interpretations of Aquinas' ...more
Trice
Another one I'm really wanting to reread, but need to get to some others first... I'm sure I'll wander back some day. The portion of Aquinas' writings that were included was far too abbreviated, but what was there was very good/interesting/thought-provoking. And the 'source' documents as well as the responses to Aquinas' works were great reads, if some bits denser and so, slower than others.
Bria
Oh man I know he was all a big important thinker of the time, and I have to take into account the culture and where he was coming from but I am just not equipped to stomach all this weaksauce bullshit.
Tyler
interesting in context. somewhat revolutionary attempt to embrace parts of Greek thought that were typically rejected at the time. Yet another religious dude that can only see the world through the lens of his dogma, starts with the conclusion, and insists on baptizing Plato.
Itai
I heard an interesting interview with two Swiss medieval philosophy scholars, Joel Lonfat and Bettina Kreissl-Lonfat on The Saint Cast (a podcast I subscribe to on iTunes - this was episode #114), which got me interested enough to read more. Their website is here: http://scriptorium.mediaevaliter.com/...
Phillip Johnston
Short summary of Aquinas's works with selections that show both the Aristotelean tradition and why he was one of the primary church doctors. Also has useful commentary included.
Abby Ang
Reread from Civ. I really liked it this time around, and really appreciated how clearly his reasoning was, even though it's not always something I agreed with.
ryan
interesting stuff. religion is some crazy stuff. amazing how much it affects. and also amazing how long some of those effects last/continue to last.
Giligadi
Three stars, mainly because i disagreed with his shrill and antiquated moral perspective. Still an interesting read, even for an agnostic.
Shaun Kenney
If I had only one book to offer someone on scholastic thought... this would be the one-volume I would pull down from the shelf.
Hevel Cava
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: theology
None
Katherine Sweeney
Katherine Sweeney marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Patrick Dugan
Patrick Dugan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Cale Fraser
Cale Fraser marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Oghenefegor
Oghenefegor marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Rafael Ruiz de Lira
Rafael Ruiz de Lira marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Joshua Yang
Joshua Yang marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Jazmin Alvarez
Jazmin Alvarez marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Alexander Dolgov
Alexander Dolgov marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
  • On Free Choice of the Will
  • The Christian Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
  • Fides Et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason: Encyclical Letter of John Paul II
  • A History of Philosophy 7: Modern Philosophy
  • Back to Virtue
  • The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis
  • Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Philosophy of Science: The Central Issues
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume I)
  • The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield and the Wesleys
  • On Justice, Power and Human Nature: Selections from The History of the Peloponnesian War
  • Selected Writings
  • The Will to Believe, Human Immortality, and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy
Thomas Aquinas (sometimes styled Thomas of Aquin or Aquino), was a Dominican friar and priest notable as a scholastic theologian and philosopher. He is honored as a saint and "Doctor of the Church" in the Roman Catholic tradition.

Aquinas lived at a critical juncture of western culture when the arrival of the Aristotelian corpus in Latin translation reopened the question of the relation between fai
More about Thomas Aquinas...
Summa Theologica, 5 Vols A Summa of the Summa: The Essential Philosophical Passages of St Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica Selected Writings On Law, Morality, and Politics Summa Contra Gentiles: Book 1: God