Start by marking “The Lotus Eater” as Want to Read:

The Lotus Eater

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  11 reviews
CDL51663
Audio Cassette
Published 1981 by Caedmon (first published January 1st 1935)

To ask other readers questions about The Lotus Eater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lotus Eater

Gino Bossino
I think you have all read the wrong book, it has nothing to do with Vietnam!

It is set in 1913 and the story begins when the narrator visits a friend on the Island of Capri in Italy. There, he is introduced to the character of Thomas Wilson, who came to the island for a holiday 16 years ago. Since then, Wilson had given up his job in London as a bank manager to live a life of simplicity and enjoyment in a small cottage in Capri. As he had saved just enough money to purchase an annuity that would
Sameen Borker
"The will needs obstacles in order to exercise its power; when it is never thwarted, when no effort is needed to achieve one’s desires, because one has placed one’s desires only in the things that can be obtained by stretching out one’s hand, the will grows impotent."

Set in 1913, Italy, The Lotus Eater pans the non-conformed life of a man, Thomas Wilson, from the eyes of the narrator.

Thomas Wilson left a well-settled life in London to live on an Island of Capri, Italy. The story begins with suns
Michael B
Thanks to Gino for properly identifying the actual subject of this short story. The story captures beautifully the struggle of man to act rationally and do "the right thing " vs man's choosing instead too seize the day and not live a life of a dream deferred. Of course, the dream pursued, as always, comes often at a heavy cost.
Kristina Woods
Devastating look at American journalists in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The book portrays a certain kind of addiction that overtakes people living in a war zone and telling the story of the people of the war - American photographers, G.I.'s and the Vietnamese people. Love and obsession become entangled in the middle of this brutal, endless and pointless war.

It forced me to look at my own obsessive behaviors and how I engage in them even though they don't serve me. I appreciated how the auth
Mary Ann
Good book, the ending didn't feel true to the character, and thought the author could of done a much better job. I liked the story of journalist covering the Viet Nam war with the different perspective of villagers, ex pats, and soldiers.
Hermione Laake
Tragic; never quite sure what Maugham means until the very end(that is what makes him so special),to 'die of beauty....'
Janet Sorrells
Excellent book. Gives you a real idea what life was like for Photo Journalist
in Vietnam during the Vietnam War.
Jyotsna
Very descriptive,I imagined Vietnam, and beileve that I was actually there. Enjoyed reading the book.
Lydia Kellett
Great story written during the Viet Nam War. Everyone needs to know this story.
Mary Drayer
I loved this story about a photjournalism during the Vietnam War-plus much more!
A woman journalist during the Vietnam war.
Molly Russon
Molly Russon marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Yu
Yu marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Shahjahan Ahmed
Shahjahan Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Rachel A Barth
Rachel A Barth marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jaya
Jaya marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Ghulam
Ghulam marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Danielle Cecchine
Danielle Cecchine marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Somerset Maugham was born in Paris in 1874. He spoke French even before he spoke a word of English, a fact to which some critics attribute the purity of his style.

His parents died early and, after an unhappy boyhood, which he recorded poignantly in 'Of Human Bondage' , Maugham became a qualified physician. But writing was his true vocation. For ten years before his first success, he alm
More about W. Somerset Maugham...
Of Human Bondage The Razor's Edge The Painted Veil The Moon and Sixpence Theatre

“Very few people know where to look for happiness; fewer still find it.” 5 likes