Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made

Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,562 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Gayle Saunders and Patricia Reid were total opposites who chose each other as best friends when they were children. Through the years they were raised together, as close as sisters. Gayle, the beauty pampered by her working-class parents, believes a man will make her world complete. Pat, the brainy one, is the hand-me-down child whose mystery parentage haunts her. She's de...more
Published January 8th 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1996)

Nardsbaby Reader
Forever binding friendship

I read this book so long ago, yet it is still amongst my favorite. This book was well written and captivates what friendships are truly made of. We all grow and sometimes we part from those we thought we couldn't live without. Gayle, and Pat who are totally different become like sisters when Pat is left on her own. They are forever binded with a terrible memory. As they loose one another and fully run into their lives it seems that they reunite unexpectingly and with a...more
Nastassia Leslie
Seriously. This is one of the best books I've ever read. My bestfriend gave it to me for Christmas last 2007, and I must've read it a million times. I'm not one to read. But, this book has really captured my heart. It reflects that sometimes, love and bond are really stronger than anything else in this world. I can see that this book was meant for me and my bestfriend. :D
Laurie Smith
Great book! I read it when I was in my late 20s slightly after the internet had been invented. I remember that fact because I emailed the authors to say how much I enjoyed their book. And they responded! Wow, an author reached out to me! Like a celebrity. I have that email to this day-15 plus years later.
Vivienne Neal
An Enjoyable Coming of Age Masterpiece

I was not familiar with the authors, found this book in the lobby of the building where I live and took great delight in reading this narrative, which centers on three childhood friends: Gayle Saunders, Pat Reid, and Marcus Carter. As children, a tragedy, along with a secret, brings them closer together, but as they grow older, their lives begin to take different paths, bringing on more secrets, pretense, guilt, resentment, broken promises, lies, love, roman...more
Tee
I loved this book! So interseting and so hard to put down, I almost didn't go to class this morning because I wanted to finish it. It started slow but eventually it picked up and when I say it picked up, I really mean it. So many twists and turns!! I'm a little sad that it's over ...
Rnd
I remember reading this book a long time ago, and thinking that it was the best book I had read in a long time. It was different than the other books I was reading at the time, and I thought it was written so well.
Se
May 30, 2013 Se rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Se by: Book Club Selection
One of my all-time fav reads. Have read and re-read over half dozen times!!! Pat and Gayle really speak to me. Pat is my fav character in the book, Marcus is my second fav.
Ari
While I'm still too young to know if my best friend and I will be able to withstand the challenges that life throws us once we are adults, I could see our friendship in Gayle and Pat's younger years. I think any girl will be nodding her head, laughing and feeling the pain of the main characters, the best friends. The character development is excllent. The authors make you really care about the characters' and their problems. I didn't want this book to be completely realistic because I wanted eve...more
Monica
"the saving graces; snowflower and the secret fan and the women of silk r three well written books about women friendships. Their ups and downs, situations that tear them apart and circumstances that bring them back together. This book to be written by two people is a extremely poorly written book about friendships, life struggles and personal growth. Pat, gayle and marcus r never fully developed characters individually nor were they develop enough to feel that either had strong bonds with the o...more
Delaney Diamond
What a story!

Women's fiction can be such an emotional roller coaster, but I usually love it, and this was no exception.

The characters were interesting and complex, even the secondary characters. I felt like I was looking at the lives of real people, and at times it made me sad and uncomfortable. I wanted everything to tie up neatly, but it wasn’t until the end that I got the feeling of satisfaction I needed after such an emotional upheaval in the lives of the characters. They’d all been through...more
Shelia Thompson
It's a hard-to-put-down book that I've read several times. Each character went through hard times and survived in different ways. That's real-life stuff. Marcus' mom dealt with tragedy in a way that effected the family. The relationships were unexpected and the book was written in may exciting twists and turns. Whew - good reading, indeed.
Papaya
I read this book for a book club and I love it. This book had me laughing on the train coming home from work and people looking at me like I was crazy. Pat and Gayle was good friend and had very different personalities. Pat was more worried about her future, when Gayle was more worried about getting married and not having to work. As they grow older they grow apart. But with Gayle losing everything it brought them back together. It also show how a women should never put all the trust in men as f...more
Keisean
May 09, 2008 Keisean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: my-library
I learned friendship between women is something that can surpass time, space and even anger. After finishing the book, I was left hanging, just a little. Then to my surprise and delight I discovered there is a sequel, so that makes me feel better knowing the story will continue and hopefully end a little better. I was a little disappointed with the return of Gayle's long, lost, dead husband in the cemetery. That was a little bit creepy and soap-opera like. But I guess it gave a nice vengeful twi...more
Katura
I really enjoyed this book. It's about two best friends who are inseparable while they are young. But as we all know, life has its challenges and in this story, those many challenges push the two girls apart. I liked how the story alternated from being told from Gayle or Patricia's point of view. I thought it was beautiful that as grown women, they eventually found themselves back to each other despite all the time and drama that had passed. One of the chapter titles sums it up perfectly, " . ....more
Iuli
I really liked this book not necessarily because of how it was written or the degree of sophistication. The themes of friendship, betrayal, suffering, and finding real love (not necessarily in a romantic way) touched a chord in me. So if you are down for those types of books I think you will really enjoy this one. It has a couple of interesting twists and turns and the chronological arrangement is nifty as well. I also liked the way the authors painted their characters: like real people that you...more
Quanah Edwards
I read this book twice, once when it first came out and again in a book club about 5 years ago. It's a story of a friendship that spans 20 years and the ups and downs that come with being friends for that long.

It's such a good read and you really get caught up in Pat and Gayle's lives. You root for both at different times, taking a side and then switching to the other side. Everyone who I have told about this book loved it.
Carolyn Alleyne
I loved this book. The writing was great and the story kept me engaged. I thought I had read it before but since I never remember what I read, it took me a few pages to figure out i had indeed read it but I didn't mind reading it again. It's a story of hope and that no matter where we come from, there's always room to grow. At the end the characters didn't let their troubled beginnings stop them from having a bright future.
Pamela Greer
Dec 18, 2008 Pamela Greer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
I read this book when it first came out..so the actual story is a little fuzy but I do remember it was a great book and the writing of Donna Grant and Virgina DeBerry was right on. This is a story of the past revisted and showing how we can't go back and change things we have done. Live your best life today.
Tomara Calloway
I can't say how much I really enjoyed this book. This book takes you on a journey of a friendship from childhood to adulthood and has you feeling every emotion along the way. I intend to send this to my best friend of 28 years and hopes that she enjoys it just as much. (Maybe after reading it one more time.)
Angie
really good writing. epic story. i was right there with the two main female sharacters as each one took her separate path in life, feeling the successes that were never enough for one, and the trials endured by the other. full rich descriptions and scenes.
Rhonda McKnight
My favorite things about this book was the awesome character development. Caring about characters is paramount to my really loving a book. I loved these people. Moving through their lives was an experience. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.
Anita Dawson
A good read. The decades that passed in this book helped to develop the character profiles. There were so many emotions that were shared in this book. At times you rooted for the characters as well as felt their pain. Thanks for the read
Shawnette
WOW!!!

I enjoyed reading this book..found it hard to put down. The trials and tribulations of friends and their lives seemed so real. I felt for Gayle..and for Pat. This is a book that I will remember. Two thumbs up!!
Shannon
I read this book when it first came out. I would recommend all "girlfriends" read this book. It also makes for a great book club read. It really helps you to understand the meaning of family and friendship.
Dana "DWJ"
One of my sisters and my favorite books! I got so caught up in the story and the characters. I even got the chance to meet the authors and they were just as warm and wonderful. A definite must read!
Tamara
I read this book a while back, and all I can remember is how slow it was and how I skipped to the end of the book so I could at least discuss it a little in at my book club meeting!
Tracy Lewis
This book was interesting and showed how small of a world we live in. I like how the main character grew up and finished school and got herself a job, despite her mother's efforts.
CKE387
Friendship that endures from childhood into adulthood, bearing many trials and tribulations. True friends stay together & stand by one another through the tough times.
Mo
Good read from beginning to end, hard to put down. I can't say that you any of the action coming, it just sort of happens. One of my favorite reads to date.
Judy
Great book about friendship, family and love. I learned we make choices whether good or bad, but there is the opportunity to learn from them.
  • Big Girls Don't Cry
  • Lil Mama's Rules
  • Good Hair
  • The Hand I Fan With
  • Scenes from a Sistah
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir
  • Baby Brother's Blues
  • Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do
  • Nappily Ever After (Nappily, #1)
  • A Love of My Own
  • Mama
  • Men Cry in the Dark
  • Coffee Will Make You Black
  • Married Men

We are best friends who’ve been co-writing women’s fiction for twenty of our twenty seven years of friendship. Uptown is our seventh novel. For more information about who we are, what we do and/or to read an excerpt of Uptown please visit deberryandgrant.com. We can also be found online at: Twomindsfull.blogspot.com, Twitter.com/deberryandgrant, Facebook.com/deberryandgrant.
More about Virginia DeBerry...
Better Than I Know Myself Far from the Tree What Doesn't Kill You Gotta Keep on Tryin' Uptown