Start by marking “Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)

Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery #9)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  274 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Murder never takes a holiday or so Loon Lake learns one wintry Thanksgiving Day. Chief of Police Lew Ferris, short-handed thanks to an AWOL coroner, never even gets the turkey stuffed before the bodies start to surface. By the end of the day, credit card theft and dysfunctional families have so muddied the waters that not even expert tracker and dedicated fishing guide, Ra ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Bleak House Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Hot Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Hot Shot

Elizabeth
Dec 08, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Totally addicted to Victoria Houston books. All the characters are like old friends. Going to head to Loon Lake this summer!!!!!
Patricia
It’s Thanksgiving Eve and Nolan Reece is giving an engagement party for her daughter, Blue. Pleased with the party, she takes her nightly stroll down to the dock. Since Nolan has managed to blackmail her only child, a child she has hated since before her birth, into becoming engaged to a man she does not love, she is actually feeling exceptionally pleased with herself.

And being more than a little inebriated, she cannot react quickly to the sounds in the brush that shouldn’t be there. A hard blo
Patricia
Jun 14, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Thanksgiving is a holiday for family and friends, relaxing after dinner, and just all around good food and fun. Chief of Police Lew Ferris plans for a peaceful Thanksgiving with Doc Osborne, retired dentist and part time deputy. Doc plans for an early dinner with his family and then a later a leisurely dinner with Lew and hopefully dessert in front of the fire and thoughts of future plans.

First, the death of a local resident intervenes. Nolan Reece is found dead down by her dock early on Thanksg
Lorlee
Mar 25, 2016 Lorlee rated it liked it
Retired dentist Paul Osborne was hoping for a pleasant Thanksgiving holiday with his daughter and ladylove Police Chief Llewellyn "Lew" Ferris despite his irritating houseguests, neighbors who have overstayed their welcome by five weeks during their home renovation. Unfortunately, the drowned body of social royalty Nolan Reece washes ashore just after her daughter's engagement party and Lew finds that she also has her hands full investigating a rash of credit card fraud incidents that all seem t ...more
Apr 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Grey853
Dec 11, 2010 Grey853 rated it liked it
Lisa
Mar 28, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Ms. Houston came to do an author chat in my hometown library. She was very nice, fun, and answered questions...even the obnoxious guy in the second rown who told her that, while her first books were sort of "rough," he could tell she'd improved a lot. Note to self: laugh and say thank you, even while turning red.

I forgot that I had already read this one, but I probably would have purchased it anyway.
sarg
Aug 05, 2013 sarg rated it liked it
Just finished "Dead Hot Shot" by Victoria Houston
Gave it 3 1/2 stars
This is a "Murder she Wrote ", kind of Murder mystery . The main character is a female police chief Named Lewellen in a small Minnesota resort town. Her sidekick is a retired dentist Named Osborne. A quick easy read with a simple plot, greed,jealousy ,murder.
Debra
Oct 09, 2008 Debra rated it really liked it
This series has such wonderful characters and place sense. I don't understand why more folks don't read it. I neither fly fish nor know Wisconsin, yet I feel comfortable in her world. (Well, except for the murders...) On the other hand, a fisherman acquaintance of mine says that she has gotten it just right.
Arielle Gordon
Jan 06, 2016 Arielle Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so love this series! By now the characters feel like old friends. The writing flows really well and it's always so hard putting one of these stories down. Yes, it does include fishing, but not so far as to be off-putting to those who don't. I hope to continue reading about Doc, Lew and Ray for a long time!
Dianna
Aug 20, 2016 Dianna rated it liked it
A murder mystery set in Loon Lake, Wisconsin. Although #9 in the series this is the first one I've read. It is a very quick read with enjoyable characters, action and snappy dialogue. After all the 'heavy' novels, I was so ready for something light and this fit the bill.
Kathleen
Feb 10, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
While this is my introduction to this author, I discovered this is the ninth book in a series about Loon Lake in Wisconsin. I liked the maturity of the characters, the twists of the plot and the author's appreciation of a part of the country I know little about.
Mike Murray
Nov 13, 2016 Mike Murray rated it liked it
2016 Book #72/35: Yet another enjoyable journey in Loon Lake. I do wish she'd break away from the formula every once in a while, but they're still fun.
Karen
Jul 06, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Ok mystery. Had it figured out halfway through and since it didn't have many twists to the plot it got a bit boring toward the end.
Jan
Jun 25, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loon Lake is a rich bite of larger than life characters, budding later in life relationships, and engaging puzzles to be solved. This installment was a good one.
Sue
Oct 17, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
V. Houston's newest Loon Lake (N. WI) mystery was perhaps her best. If you like N. WI, fishing, small town mysteries - this series is great!
Mary
Jul 01, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok
I read this book for my book club. It is a quick read, but very simplistic...not much suspence or intrigue.
Alice
Jul 30, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
I am loving Houston's novels this summer. They make me feel like I'm home in northern Wisconsin even though I am not there this summer. A great escape and well written mystery!!
Susan
Jan 12, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Part of the Loon Lake Mystery Series- this is my first read. Based in northwoods Wisconsin so insiders can chuckle at her jokes a bit more than those with no history in the area. Fairly good plot.
Kitty Tomlinson
May 18, 2014 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Thanksgiving is ruined for Doc and the gang when a socialite is murdered during her daughter's engagement party. Good read.
Chuck Heikkinen
Jan 02, 2014 Chuck Heikkinen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A rich woman dies at her cabin in Loon Lake under suspicious circumstances. The police chief, Lew Ferris and her friend Doc Osborne sort it out.
Hilde Henkel
Houston captures the eccentricities and attitudes of the Wisconsin I love. I don't even fish, but love the north world outlook!
Kel
Oct 12, 2011 Kel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Credit card theft and dysfunctional families lead the mysteries. It never seems to be warm in Loon Lake, but it's always interesting.
Julie
Another great mystery with the retired dentist and Sheriff Lew full of much love for fishing as well.
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Monica Braun
Monica Braun rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Smarshall1
Smarshall1 rated it really liked it
May 18, 2009
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
kc curtis
kc curtis rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • Murder Trims the Tree (A Gertie Johnson Christmas Novella)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Chasing Smoke
  • El Gavilan
  • The Nail Knot (Fly Fishing Mysteries #1)
  • In the Light of You
  • Hogdoggin': The Next Chapter of the Billy Lafitte Saga (Billy Lafitte, #2)
  • Natural Suspect
  • Arizona Dreams: A David Mapstone Mystery
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Harvest Of Murder
  • Doubleback (Georgia Davis, #2)
  • The Marriage Casket (Antique Lover, #3)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • The Thanksgiving Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #6)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Thanksgiving
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL the fifteenth in the series, will be published in June 2015 in hardcover, trade paperback and as an eBook from Tyrus Books. The myst ...more
More about Victoria Houston...

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)