Start by marking “The Phantom of the Opera” as Want to Read:
Read Book* *Different edition

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  127,594 ratings  ·  3,595 reviews
First published in French as a serial in 1909, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually t ...more
Published December 10th 2002 by Modern Library (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom of the Opera, please sign up.

Eileen Garrison I read this book for the first time when I was in 6th grade, and I absolutely adored it! As a teacher now, I'd simply say, you have to know the child…moreI read this book for the first time when I was in 6th grade, and I absolutely adored it! As a teacher now, I'd simply say, you have to know the child in question in order to determine whether or not he/she should be reading it.
It is Gothic horror, more than romance, to be perfectly honest, and yes, the descriptions can be detailed, but there is no 'gore' to speak of. In all reality, the horror isn't extensive. The violence isn't graphic at all, and the romance is non-explicit.
If you don't think it's appropriate based upon your knowledge of the child, then withhold it. If you think the child is mature enough to handle it, then,by all means, let them at it! It's not only a great literary experience, but a great cultural experience as well.
I think the most important thing to get out of this is that it's a great opportunity for children to learn about acceptance of others.(less)
Kitty Kestrel From the movie? I prefer the realism in the book, but I will answer your question. In the movie, the phantom presented the perfect representation of…moreFrom the movie? I prefer the realism in the book, but I will answer your question. In the movie, the phantom presented the perfect representation of evil: good looks. No evil thing is presented (at first) in a disagreeable light. And that, in a sense, is what the movie has done; it has made the Phantom of the Opera, a story of a twisted, demonic man, into a love triangle where the villain is purposefully made to provoke pity from the audience and the hero is made to look as a roadblock the the pitiful, judged villain. (less)

Emily May
May 17, 2015 Emily May rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't view Wuthering Heights as a romance (and maybe those who do ^_^)
Shelves: classics, 2014, favourites
Persons who are visited by the Angel quiver with a thrill unknown to the rest of mankind. And they cannot touch an instrument or open their mouths to sing, without producing sounds that put all other human sounds to shame.

Erik, AKA The Phantom of the Opera, is Paris's answer to Heathcliff. This book is a darkly romantic tale of a man's descent into violence and madness, and the woman who forms the obsession at the centre of his life.

I should probably confess: I am a shameless lover of The Ph
Pramod Nair
“And, despite the care which she took to look behind her at every moment, she failed to see a shadow which followed her like her own shadow, which stopped when she stopped, which started again when she did and which made no more noise than a well-conducted shadow should.”

Gaston Leroux - who popularized an entire sub-genre of detective fiction called ‘locked room mystery’ through his works like 'The Mystery of the Yellow Room' and his fictional amateur sleuth, Joseph Rouletabille - is most renow
This book changed my life...I'm so not kidding. I saw the play years before I decided to read this book. I'm so sorry that I waited so long because it was fantastic! I plan to re-read it again! It has everything in it! It's scary, creepy, romantic, sweet, sexy, dark, sad, depressing, etc. This is the third book on my list that I would recommend to anyone that i meet! (having harry potter and the twilight series at number one and two spots. haha)

W A R N I N G *MAY be a spoiler in this next parag
Vane J.

“If I am the phantom, it is because man’s hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.”

I believe everyone has at least heard about The Phantom of the Opera. If not for the book itself, then it may be because of the movies. I knew it was a book, and I knew there were movies, but I’ve never watched any of them, and the book I read until now.

In any case, if you’ve heard about this story, then you know it’s a tragic one – and indeed, it is.

Henry Avila
Sorelli, a principal dancer in the beautiful, new, and fabulous Paris Opera House ( circa 1880), is angry, her dressing - room has been invaded, by half a dozen hysterical young ladies, ballet dancers. The frightened performers have seen the legendary Phantom (Ghost), claiming to have noticed a very ugly man, but well dressed, in the passageway. The superstitious but brave woman, opens the door quiet slowly and takes a peek. The shadowy, in gaslight, reddish walls, give a strange ambiance, but t ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
Well, that was melodramatic.

Because I quit a book last week, I forced myself to finish this one. I can finish anything on audio, thought I. I am not a quitter, thought I. But after struggling to focus on this and backtracking 2 hours because I realized I had been daydreaming the entire time, I have come to the realization that the DNF review is not so bad a thing.

This read was torturous. I finished it but did not have a good time.

“You don’t love me. But you will.”

Sorry Erik but no. No I won’t.
Evelyn (devours and digests words)

What a melodramatic book this is. Lots of swooning, lots of proclamations of love, and lots of unnecessary details that do not add anything to the plot.

'Tis where me and the ghost of the opera part ways for good. I will probably never know the original reasons as to why Erik - the ghost, the genius and the mad came to be what he is in the first place. I don't think I care much to find out either way.

All the care in the world you can give me and it will still be not enough for

While I was in New York City, living it up on 7th and 27th, I decided that I would go see a musical, with friends, on Broadway. However, being the 'buy-first-think-later' student that I am, most of the musicals were out of my price range. The suitcase load of cheaper comics and novels had something to do with this. However, I did have enough cash to go with two of the ladies on the trip and get tickets to The Phantom of the Opera with Peter Jöback staring as the eponymous character. We all dress
"Masterpiece" doesn't cut it. It's a work of art. To be honest, I didn't even know this was a book until I found it in the library, but now it's one of my favorites (let's put it this way -- I read it in one day). I love Gothic novels, but this one tops everything I've ever read. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I have no idea what people mean when they say it's hard to read. The characterizations are so vivid, it was like being sucked into the pages. From the follies of the opera managers, ...more
Mar 28, 2015 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone

The story takes place in the Parisian opera house and the famous Phantom lives somewhere in its undergrounds.
Mysterious and music-loving, he even has a private lounge.
One of the chorus girls, Christine, lost her father who always told her about the Angel of Music and once, she hears this angel singing and follows him through a hidden door in his dark empire.

From this moment on the Angel of Music teaches her and Christine improves her singing until she is a well known and treasured singer.
Νόμιζα ότι θα το λάτρευα αυτό το βιβλίο,όμως όοοοχι! Η γραφή του Leroux δεν έδενε,πήγαινε από τον αόραστο και τη βαρεμάρα στον ενεστώτα και την εγρήγορση χωρίς λόγο. Οι χαρακτήρες όλοι αντιπαθητικοί,κυρίως ο Ραούλ που ήθελα να του χώσω κάτι στο στόμα για να σταματήσει να μιλάει και να κάνει σα μυξιάρικο. Δεν μου προκάλεσε ανατριχίλα,δεν έζησα στην όπερα,δε ράγισε η καρδιά μου για τον αγνό έρωτα των δύο νέων ούτε για το δράμα του Ερίκ,που έκανε σαν ανώριμο παιδάκι, Γενικά,ΔΕΝ.
2/5 μόνο για το υπερ
Sep 11, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: I saw the play - it was incredible
This book was surprisingly good... a surprise because most books written around this time (I believe this was written in 1909) seem to be very boring and/or difficult to read. I have seen the play (and loved it) and was always curious about the original novel, which, I'll say right now, is definitely worth reading. Very captivating and suspenseful and emotion-invoking. My only real complaint is on the character of Raoul who is often described as what I would call a "weenie" - crying alot and ful ...more
Sophia Sardothien
Growing up with this classic seeing the play, movie, annotated book (the ones with a bunch of guiding questions) and comic. Ever since I was young I’ve grown an undeniable love for the phantom of opera - Erik.

In all versions, the story was told in a third person. However, I was hoping that in this book, I could empathise more with the characters. But in this case I felt rather distant with them. As I was forced to read from a lot of useless perspectives, which kept the pacing extremely slow.

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is another book that has been lingering around with a bookmark sticking out of it since October. It's not that it's a hard read - on the contrary, for an "old" book, it's incredibly readable. I don't know who did this translation or whether that has anything to do with it, but it is easy to read. But to be honest, it lacks something. It's just not as dramatic as the musical, though it has its moments.

I've never seen the musical, sadly; I've only the seen the most recent movie version - whi
I've watched the musicale years ago and I loved it. I decided to give this one a try as an audio book since it's short and I want to read at least one classic novel per year. I just find this an okay book. The prose isn't my cup of tea and the narrator almost bored me to death. Some parts are unnecessary and I just couldn't connect with the characters.

I guess It's not for me.. I think I'll just go with the musicale version.
“No more talk of darkness. Forget these wide-eyed fears. I'm here, nothing can harm you. My words will warm you and calm you...”

OK OK, I won't go there, no Andrew Lloyd Wibbly in this review. The Phantom of the Opera seems to have joined the rank of books that few people bother to read because too many people assume they already know the entire story. There is a lot more to the novel than a crazy guy with half a mask abducting a girl just to give her some free singing lessons. I mean who does
Tatiana Arutyunova
There are so many things I could say about this book, and most of them aren't good. There was literally ONE thing I actually enjoyed.

Leroux presents the "strange affair" of the Phantom to us as if it were fact. Normally that wouldn't bother me too much, but it is continually insisted upon until you want to shout that there is no way it is at all possible and to kindly take your insanity elsewhere in case it's catching.

The plot is convoluted at best and constantly bounces between the main action
The plot is simple enough, our heroine has a nasty case of Stockholm Syndrome, and it's only too obvious that this is a patchwork serialization, but the author has a talent for writing an enchanting Gothic atmosphere. A good bit of fun for an afternoon.
Wow! So much more to this old gothic mystery than I ever expected! Review pending....
Laura V.
-¿Usted tiene miedo... y dice que me ama? Si Erik fuera bello, ¿me amaría usted, Christine?

-¡Desventurado! ¿Por qué tentar al destino? ¿Para qué preguntarme cosas que he ocultado como un pecado en el fondo de mi conciencia?

La película definitivamente tiene una visión romántica que no puedo atribuir al libro. En serio. Tanto Christine y Raoul, son completamente patéticos, sin ánimos de ofender. No tienen ni un solo rasgo que pueda rescatar.

En cambio, el fantasma es un personaje de lo más comp
Black Elephants
Hold your hand up at your eyes as if you are about to pull the trigger of a pistol because we are about to discuss the ins and outs of the the mystery that Gaston Leroux claims to have succintly unraveled in The Phantom of the Opera. Like most great science fiction—Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein, etc—Leroux promises that the indepth research, second-hand accounts and confessions he has collected will finally unveil the labyrinthine scandal that still is fresh in the memories of Parisians.

And what
Whew, that was a marathon.
Alicia Reid
“Raoul,” she said, “forget the man’s voice and do not even remember its name…You must never try to fathom the mystery of the man’s voice.
“Is the mystery so very terrible?”
“There is no more awful mystery on this earth.”

This is not a ghost story. Yet, at the same time, it is about a haunting.

The Phantom of the Opera is about a madman, Erik, who is infatuated with the singer Christine Daaé and consumed by his hatred towards humanity. He resides underneath the Paris Opera House, which he haunts
By current standards, this is not the easiest book to invest/lose yourself in, yet I'm still going with five stars and here's why.

A little background

Best described as a Gothic mystery/romance, The Phantom of the Opera is a beast meets beauty affair presented as if a true story being told through the eyes of Leroux and based on his own personal inquiries and research. It was originally published in French as a serialization in the early 1900s, and was later collected and published together as a
Gina Mora
One of my new favorite books of all time...and one of the saddest. I never realized what a tragic character Eric, or the Opera Ghost, was. He just wanted to be loved. This does not excuse all of his behavior, but it does explain it. From his childhood, even his mother rejected him and despised him. I know that Christine is supposed to be the heroine of the novel and Raoul is supposed to be the hero. Yet, I found Raoul to be whiny, immature and just young- in the throws of a first love like all t ...more
Jako dobro! Inace mi ne pasu "klasici" , ali ova mi je bas legla.

Prica o fantomu opere mi je inace za 5* , ali su mi 2 stvari uskratili uzivanje. Stil pisanja i Christine.

Za stil... da li je do engleskog prijevoda ili je jednostavno tako , ali nije mi se svidio. A Christine me je uzasno nervirala.

Od mene jaka 4*.
For the most part, I thought this novel was good. But I had so many little issues with it that I can’t say it was a great read as a whole. I know the adaptations done are considerably more enjoyable so I look forward to those, but the novel was at times a hit and miss for me.

I didn’t understand the characterization of Erik. I was confused at every other chapter whether we were supposed to sympathize, pity, or loathe him. I generally just thought he was an asshole but the way Christine treats him
  • Phantom
  • The Complete Phantom of the Opera
  • Les Misérables
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Carmilla
  • The Vampyre and Other Tales of the Macabre
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3)
  • The Lady of the Lake
  • Bleak House
  • Cyrano de Bergerac
  • Kim
  • A House of Pomegranates
Gaston Louis Alfred Leroux was a French journalist and author of detective fiction.

In the English-speaking world, he is best known for writing the novel The Phantom of the Opera (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra, 1910), which has been made into several film and stage productions of the same name, such as the 1925 film starring Lon Chaney, and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical. It was also the basis of the 1
More about Gaston Leroux...

“If I am the phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I am to be saved it is because your love redeems me.” 395 likes
“Erik is not truly dead. He lives on within the souls of those who choose to listen to the music of the night.” 351 likes