Mom I Need to be a Girl

Mom I Need to be a Girl

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This book, written by the single mother of a Transsexual teen-ager, is a true account of their experiences wending their way through the morass of roadblocks and confusion in seeking approval for the son to become the daughter she had always been meant to be. It describes clearly the troubles that the "system" deliver to maintain the status-quo, and the overwhelming drive...more
Published December 19th 2007 by BookSurge Publishing (first published 1998)

Anna
What this book lacks in depth and writing it more than makes up for in heart. The mother was beyond supportive and accepting of her gender variant child, and 20 years ago! It makes me jealous for the sake of my gender variant friends who's families were less helpful.
Definitely an educational read for anyone, and very helpful to gender variant people and their allies.
Jules
I'm tempted to give this little gem five stars because it was literally the ONLY book of its kind that could be found when I needed it. Parenting a transgender teenager is, in so many ways, an isolating task and in those first few weeks, I clutched this slim yellow volume, feeling like Evelyn was my only friend.

What the book perhaps lacks in depth, it makes up for in warmth and genuine love. While Evelyn managed everything better than I was at that moment and her daughter was more even-keel and...more
Isabella
"Mom I Need to be a Girl" is a beautiful and compassionate read. It's the true story of a mother's understanding and support of her transsexual teenager. This book is an example of how to, to all parents who have who have a transgendered child of any age.

It's an inspiration and a breath of fresh air in a world with still too many prejudices towards the LGBT community.
Kia Shiru
I've read this book years ago, it was so touching and caring that I still remember most of it even now.
Janice
This book was written by my husband's amazing sister.
Nicki Starling
Nicki Starling marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Hobotnica
Hobotnica marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Amy Happy
Amy Happy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Emma Ward
Emma Ward marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Michelle Jo
Michelle Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Lirael
Lirael marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Carolyn Trim
Carolyn Trim marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Letitia
Letitia marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Elizabeth Alleman
Elizabeth Alleman marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Katie Moncelsi
Katie Moncelsi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013