Start by marking “Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times” as Want to Read:
Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times

Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times

The Great majority of murders are family affairs, committed by outwardly ordinary people who often have never committed a crime.

But the murders that grab headlines, that stay in our memory and haunt our nightmare, are at work of psychotic serial killers and mass murderers, brutes whose behavior challenges our very definition of humanity.

In some ways, our brothers; in other
Published December 30th 2006 by MJF Books (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Killers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killers

Victoria Trevino
Mar 08, 2008 Victoria Trevino rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those mature enough to handle reading about two main things of book: murder and rape
Shelves: books-i-own
WARNING:
This book includes some details about the murders such as rape, sexual/child abuse, cannibalism, dismembering bodies, stabbing, shooting, language, and other things.

Review
This book is very much interesting. I would NOT recommend this to those who aren't mature enough to handle it - we wouldn't want them to get ideas of how to murder people from this book. It does mention sexual things. Cawthorne doesn't go much into detail in some things, but he doesn't leave much for the imagination.

Ove
Catherine
Nov 17, 2013 Catherine rated it it was ok
Killers> is merely a compilation of various murderers, brief accounts of their upbringing if relevant, and the crimes for which they are known. The information is not new, but it does include specific (arguably graphic) details of injuries inflicted on the victims in greater detail than I usually encounter in casual recollections of this nature. I expected to see The Boston Strangler, the Zodiac Killer, Ted Bundy, Son of Sam, and Jeffrey Dahmer included, but this was the first account I had e ...more
Eva Leger
Feb 28, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: b-true-crime
This was almost perfect for me because while I'd heard of most of these murderers I didn't know much about each one. There were a few exceptions, Ted Bundy and Charles Manson to name two.
I saw in another review that someone else mentioned it and I agree - two or three of these "murderers" (one may not have actually murdered) just didn't belong in the book. The Australian "dingo case" is one that I remember off the top of my head. I'd like to ask the author what made him add that and the other o
Danielle
Aug 11, 2008 Danielle rated it liked it
I thought this was a interesting book to read. It was fascinating and I couldn't put it down but what bothered me about it is the fact that the author rarely, if at all, sites his sources and has no bibliography page. I couldn't take it all as fact so I always had that in the back of my mind. I suppose anything that I have questions about or plan on discussing with others about these murderers will have to be researched. I have a hard time taking books as truth without reliable sources. But rega ...more
Julie
Jun 14, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
I watch a lot of crime investigation tv with my partner so i do like reading more about killers and their motivation and back stories.
Especially with these ones that are featured as they were stories that I had heard briefly about but not in that detail. They were also condensed enough that each story or account wasn't too long. Just enough to get the gist of the story.

Also a good leader into reading individual accounts of different serial killers.
Now back to reading some fiction haha
Neri.
Jan 12, 2016 Neri. rated it really liked it
I liked the style of writing in this book - it was very informative but not too boring with the facts. It was interesting to read because I'm into mysteries and criminals and into finding out why they did what they did.
Kimberly
Mar 12, 2014 Kimberly rated it did not like it
don't bother with this book. there's many others that are far better. given that this is about true crimes, it's disturbing when the author is supposedly citing direct quotes from americans but uses britishisms.
noelle
Jun 20, 2012 noelle rated it it was ok
is it really even worth nothing that nigel cawthorne isn't much of a writer? completely devoid of personality and just straight facts (albeit somewhat questionable ones), which is actually fine if that's what you want to read. it just wont be very much fun.
joolz
Apr 29, 2012 joolz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book about some terrible murders. As well as explaining about the murders it also gives some information about the victims, which makes this more upsetting than a straightforward crime book at times. It brings home that, whilst many of the killings may be quick, they still qualify as barbaric for the cruelty inflicted upon the people left behind to cope with the devastation. For example, this comment about an American killed on a whim by a sniper:

"Thirty-three-year-old post-gradu
Alex Bartholomew
Apr 28, 2016 Alex Bartholomew rated it liked it
All in all, this one is an entertaining collection of blood chilling accounts of SOME of the century's most resonating killing sprees and mass murders. For those keen on issue of this matter, the book might be of some interest. Yet, if you are an expert, a, so to speak, veteran in this field, these reports may seem too hollow to you. Like the one on Ted Bundy, which might have provided a lot more information, should the author tried harder. I personally picked this one because, living in Russia, ...more
Hud-c

This is a compilation of several heinous murders done by some of the most gruesome killers and psychos the world have seen. If you're looking for straight facts, then try to read this book. However, if you won't to get more details specifically the reasons for the murders and more on the life of the killers, then, get another book - a biography or a book solely written for that specific crime. The good points of this book is the way Mr. Cawthorne outline each crime. He created subsection for ea
Natasha M.
Like other reviewers I kind of questioned some of the evidence given as there wasn't much to back up some of the statements made but as this was one of my impulsive Bargain Buys before hopping in line at the cashiers, I suppose this is what I get for making hasty purchases. This book sort of reads like a very dry noir mystery writing (to me, anyway) but I was surprised to see something as "recent" as the Columbine shooting included at the end of the book. I must say, I have read better books wit ...more
Chris Ramsey
May 13, 2011 Chris Ramsey rated it liked it
I found this was a rather cursory review of some of the most heinous murders on record. I enjoyed the collection between England, Australia and the United States. For the most part, probably because I have read other pieces on most of these cases, I found the book offered little I didn't already know. However there were aspects to Son of Sam and the Columbine murders I was not originally aware of. In some cases it seemed the research and information was more indepth, yet in others it felt horrib ...more
Dan
Sep 27, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like reading a wikipedia entry as if it were a pulp novel. A little overwrought with adolescent macabre detail, while providing almost no context or theory about reasons or causes (despite the introduction promising this). If you want to read a checklist of crimes with just enough human information to seem exploitative (this victim was a father of three! this one was about to attend college!), go for this book.
Paula
Jun 07, 2010 Paula rated it liked it
Good, in the aspect that it gives so much detail about the killers, but a couple of the sections were too wordy, such as Doctor Death, which I ended up just skimming just so I could get it over with. The writer must be English, since those are the killers that were too wordy and/or pointless. The vampire and debit worship sections were pointless to be put in this book, I can think of a lot more barbaric murderers than those. By the end I was a bit disappointed with this book overall.
S.
Aug 03, 2013 S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cheshire
if you compare Nigel Cawthorne to properly-published writers then of course all his entire output comes out at the 2-3 star level. but if you think of him as that "1.99 ebook speed-writer" then possibly we can even go as far as 4 stars for these quickly-researched, quickly-written books about war, crime, sex. of the three, Cawthorne is skilled at writing about the second and third.

this book has graphic accounts of newspaper-famous killers. demented, twisted, and often sexual 4/5
John Barclay
Jan 08, 2015 John Barclay rated it liked it
A fairly well written series of short pieces about famous murders and murderers. No great new revelations or anything but mostly well documented history of this sort of thing. I read it hoping for things to show students, but it's all has an edge of lurid detail that makes it not useful in the classroom.
Katie
Jun 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
I;m glad I got this for 50cents, I would have been been disappointed otherwise. For a book with this dramatic of a cover, it was pretty blah. Like the history teacher that manages to make something that should be interesting into a boring lecture. Its better than having nothing to read, but as a last resort only.
Paul Fenlon
Nov 19, 2012 Paul Fenlon rated it it was ok
This was an interesting read , it certainly opened my eyes to further things to look into but in general I found this book to be pretty shallow in covering a lot of these very interesting cases. At times some of the coverage is somewhat gruesome but again it was really a very brief snapshot about the crimes not much detail into the killers minds that isn't already out there.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
This had some very interesting cases that I had not heard about, and also some I have read before on. Overall the cases were interesting. I just wish there would have been more pictures surrounding each case spoken about in this book.
Sarai Lillie
Mar 10, 2012 Sarai Lillie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in Morbid history
Recommended to Sarai by: Random book choice at Barnes & Noble
Shelves: own, owned-read
For a book toted as being about "the most Barbaric murderers of our times," Mr. Cawthorne included some rather idiotic ones.

This book was frustrating at points because of grammar and other such errors that do not belong in a published book.
C
Oct 07, 2011 C rated it it was ok
Actually kept giving me nightmares when I was reading it before bed so I stopped. Like an extremely detailed wikipedia entry, with lots of added gore and such. Not particularly interesting or whatever, but I guess it was cool to learn about certain killers that I might not have otherwise.
Joy
Aug 24, 2013 Joy rated it did not like it
Lots of bad information and lurid, sensationalized language. But, for a really quick, free true crime read, I suppose it is okay. People seriously interested in procedurals or the psychology of criminals would do well to skip this one.
Desley (Cat fosterer)
May 01, 2012 Desley (Cat fosterer) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was an OK read, but like others I was surprised at the choice, and also the lengths of some of them seemed odd in comparison to their crimes. I found out a few new things about some of the murderers.
Elisa
Nov 21, 2012 Elisa rated it it was ok
There's not much to say about this book.I didn't really like the way it is written, some information in this book was unnecessary.
The fact that people can be this evil never fails to amaze me.
Oh and the dingo case wasn't really needed in this book.
Cheryl Houston
Feb 19, 2013 Cheryl Houston rated it liked it
I was hoping for a little more insight into the minds of these people, the why, and this book didn't deliver a lot of that. The author also seems biased against alternative religions, with a "if it's not Christian, it's Satanism" attitude.
It was interesting, but more of an overview.
Kathleen Leach
Oct 13, 2012 Kathleen Leach rated it did not like it
The "worst," he says; and he leaves out Bob Berdella and ends with Columbine. Sorry. Not impressed.
Billie Alfrey
Mar 06, 2014 Billie Alfrey rated it really liked it
Morbidly fascinating.
Ferdinande
It was ok, got to know a bit more about the killers but there's not enough background to feel the impact of their crimes. A light read but at times slow and boring.
Laura Norman
Oct 30, 2010 Laura Norman rated it did not like it
for such a fascinating subject this was a horrible read. so many editing mistakes, typo's etc. was very hard to read through.
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • The Fence: A Police Cover-up Along Boston's Racial Divide
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • Angel Face: The Real Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox
  • Made Men
  • The Murder of Jim Fisk for the Love of Josie Mansfield: A Tragedy of the Gilded Age
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2006
  • Jack the Ripper
  • Serial Killer Investigations
  • Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator
  • Chasing the Devil: My Twenty-Year Quest to Capture the Green River Killer
  • The Crimes of Paris: A True Story of Murder, Theft, and Detection
  • This Is for the Mara Salvatrucha: Inside the MS-13, America's Most Violent Gang
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper
Nigel Cawthorne is an Anglo-American writer of fiction and non-fiction, and an editor. He has written more than 80 books on a wide range of subjects and has contributed to The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph Daily Mail and The New York Times. He has appeared on television and BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Many of Nigel Cawthorne's books are compilations of popular history, without footnotes, referen
More about Nigel Cawthorne...