A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6)

A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby #6)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Charlie Leathers was not the most popular man in the charming English village of Ferne Basset, but few people seemed to hate him enough to murder him. Still, that was his fate one night, and it brings Inspector Barnaby to the scene to investigate. What Barnaby doesn't know is that before his death, Charlie witnessed what might have been the suicide--or murder--of a young w...more
Published January 15th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan SwiftOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Tempest by William ShakespeareBlindness by José SaramagoA Passage to India by E.M. Forster
Invented Countries
30th out of 85 books — 36 voters
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyConfessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Best Books of 1999
80th out of 215 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharla
Caroline Graham has one of her characters describe Inspector Barnaby as, "a man unclouded by sentiment but not without kindness." I think her writing could be described the same way. We see the characters and get to know them. We may like them or not. We may have sympathy for them or want to see the perpetrators apprehended but either way the author does not beat us over the head with a certain point of view. We are left to form our own opinions. I particularly enjoyed this book because I hadn't...more
Margot Jennifer
LOVE the tv series. This book was good, but certainly not as gentle as the tv series. Some very shocking content in this book. Without it, the book would have been great.
Mazel
Aug 14, 2009 Mazel marked it as to-read
Shelves: policier
Au Vieux Presbytère, Lionel Lawrence , ex; aux idées larges mais fumeuses, accueille régulièrement de jeunes délinquants, que sa femme Ann tolère par soumission et apathie.

Mais, un jour, Carlotta, la pensionnaire du moment, disparaît dans la rivière après une grave dispute avec son hôtesse.

Témoin de hasard, le vieux Charlie saute sur l'occasion pour faire chanter Ann qui, désemparée, consent à le payera Mais on retrouve bientôt le cadavre du corbeau dans un bois.

La disparition de Carlotta, la...more
An Odd1
Basis of BBC-TV Midsomer Murders, pattern unfolds similarly, following Inspector Barnaby's family life, here silver wedding anniversary celebrated with his daughter Cully and her actor husband. Relationship chains have optimistic endings - men, family, animals, yield and usurp power. Vacation feel from Brit slang and expressions like "dot carry one" for limping/ lame, and "Anglepoise" for a swivel arm task lamp (banned by a BBC head who thought small lights bred dark subversive thoughts - is tha...more
Starling
I think it is possible for a novel to be too British. I found myself stumbling over words where I could not figure out what the author was talking about. Most of those words were for food, but occasionally other things as well.

As a result, of that and the fact that I didn't much like the two continuing primary characters, I'm only giving this book 3 stars. One of the things that bothered me was that most of Chief Inspector Barnaby's staff are afraid to open up their mouths. In a couple of cases...more
Damaskcat
A girl falls into a river and appears to drown. An unpleasant man is out walking his dog at night and is discovered next morning dead and his dog seriously injured. Someone is being blackmailed and others are engaged in activities which may or may not result in harm to them or others. Tom Barnaby and his wife, Joyce, are about to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary – can they actually manage to have a celebratory meal with their daughter and son-in-law without crime getting in the way?

In...more
Spuddie
#6 in the Chief Inspector Barnaby series, which was adapted for TV as the "Midsomer Murder" series. (I still haven't seen any of them!) Barnaby and Sgt. Troy are off to the village of Ferne Bassett, where a local gardener/handyman's body has been found dead, his dog having been discovered earlier in the day, severely beaten and barely alive. While no one in the village liked Charlie Leathers--including his wife--it's uncertain who would dislike him enough to murder him.

As we meet each of the pl...more
Toby Rogers
After enjoying The killings at Badgers Drift and Written in blood, especially the latter, I was looking forward to reading this, but it did not get live up to expectations. The opening 50-100 pages or so were good but then after that I found it quite dull. It never gripped me or drew me in and I didn't find any of the characters very interesting, they were a bit too whimsical.
I personally think Caroline Graham used too much description and it often seemed to take a while to get to the point. It...more
Rog Harrison
I think this is the second time I have read this. It's an odd book as it's pretty obvious who the criminal is quite early on though to be fair there are a couple of interesting twists. Also the author spends a lot of time on Chief Inspector Barnaby. As usual there are some really nasty people but somehow I was not quite as satisfied as I have been with other books in this series.
Cindy
A couple of summers ago I got hooked on an English tv mystery series loosely based on the character of Chief Inspector Barnaby created by Carolyn Graham. I decided to read a couple of her books because I enjoyed the bbc series so much. There are several novels with inspector Barnaby as the lead character, the plots are somewhat predictable but fun to read, particularly if you like the mystery genre...which I do. I thought that the T.V. script writers did a good of a job with refining and fleshin...more
SanjeeB
The premise: Charlie Leathers is found murdered in the small, close knit village of Ferne Basset. While his murder does not upset many - he was not generally well liked - it is the catalyst that leads to the unraveling of well kept secrets leading to severe consequences. This is a supremely well written mystery with rich characters, unexpected turns, humour, and Chief Inspector Barnaby, who can give Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot a run for their money! This is one of Graham's earlier works,...more
Jill Hutchinson
Another in the series of Barnaby/Troy murder mysteries. A murder in a small English village leads to the uncovering of some pretty nasty secrets and the majority of the main character are going to regret keeping those little secrets. Barnaby is his usual grumpy self and you wonder how Troy ever got past being a constable on the beat but together they make a good team. None of the suspect garner much sympathy,and there is a small twist in the last few pages.You will love the incidental character...more
Caroline
I loved "A Place of Safety". This is my favourite Barnaby novel to date. It has it all, murder, blackmail and intrigue, skullduggery aplenty.
Barnaby is grumpy as ever and Troy is his usual obnoxious self.
A well written, suspenseful, thoroughly enjoyable read.
Joan Colby
I love Inspector Barnaby and his sidekick Troy, but this book isn’t up to Graham’s usual in terms of the mystery aspect. The who and why is evident early on and the only interest that remains are her always well-wrought characters.
Carmen
I really enjoy watching the Midsomer Murder PBS series, so I decided to read some of the books which inspired the series. I am always amazed at how true to the heart of the books PBS does their work. It is thrilling. I don't know which I like better, the books or the series. This book does not remind me of an episode, so it was entirely new. A death, or was it a death, in a village. As Barnaby and Troy try to find out who did it, we discover love described in many ways; between friends, between...more
Jessica
This may be the first time that I have ever said or thought that the television version (or movie) was better than the book. The character of Barnaby is not likable at all - he's quite full of himself, even more so than the TV show. The character of Troy is a caricature of a lower middle class person who doesn't know much. The writing is uneven and in some places doesn't make much sense. One example is that in several cases I was not sure who was speaking/thinking. All in all, a bit disappointin...more
patience
Unlovely man takes his dog for a walk and neither returns. He's been garrotted and his dog almost killed, but by whom and why?

Ex-parson's wife has a fight with one of her husband's troubled charity cases, the young girl falls into the river--is she dead? The wife can't admit what she's done, or neglected to do.

A famous author is obsessed with the wrong person, which will ultimately lead to more death.

Enjoyable but not earth shattering entertainment.

Jeanne
This is the first time I have read any of Caroline Graham's work. I really enjoyed it. I was in Budapest, Hungary on vacation at the time that I read the book. Caroline is English and I was intrigued by the fact that I was reading a foreign author in a foreign country. Caroline is a clever mystery author. Although I had my suspicions about "who done it?", I liked the twists and turns the plot took and was surprised by the ending.
Jamie
Really good book, but Graham went into too much detail at odd points-- like what people were eating and the names and years of wines. But it was never overwhelming and easily overlooked.

Although, I have to admit that I decided to read Graham's work because of the show that's based on them and I was a bit disappointed at how mean and self centered all the characters seemed in the book.
Laurel
Aug 30, 2009 Laurel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
I'm a sucker for Caroline Graham, so my review's will most likely always be positive. She's wonderful at describing people and environments; and the story is always so well-done. They knew who did it pretty early on, so the story was primarily about finding evidence to prove it and discover how. I flew threw, reading it in about 3 days, and I'd recommend it to any mystery lover.
Melissa
This was the first Inspector Barnaby book I actually read, after enjoying many of the "Midsomer Murder" movies on television. I was delighted to find the same Barnaby in the novel that I loved on television. I was surprised though to find out how different Sgt Troy's character was written. Loved this book however, I am only sad that there are not more Barnaby books.
Migdalia
Nov 15, 2008 Migdalia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of mystery novels
Caroline Graham has been compared to Agatha Christie, and the honor is deserved. She knows how to tell a story, and she knows how to keep her audience reading even when you are fairly certain that you have solved the case. You just want to see how she resolves everything. The fact that she can keep you interested just shows you how good she is.
Tina Stanton
I just finished this book about 30 mins ago and I really enjoyed it.

Caroline Graham really has a way of making the characters seem so real and fleshing them out. I love when an author can create a character to dislike so well that I enjoy disliking them.

Also love the relationship between chief inspector barnaby and sargeant troy.
G Hodges
What really worked for me was the authors ability to take the police and their families and let us see the mundane aspects of their lives. We get to see the personalities of the victims and perpetrators. The interactions are fleshed out.

I wasn't especially fond of the story line, but I did enjoy reading the book.
Margaret
2.5
Chief Inspector Barnaby and his sidekick Troy spend their time in a small English village trying to solve the big mystery. Not necessarily a WHO-dunnit, but a HOW-dunnit. It went on for 10 CDs, putting me to sleep most of the time. But it's always nice to hang around with Barnaby.
Cynthia
Dec 06, 2010 Cynthia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: agatha christie fans
another competent and interesting midsomer murder. The multiple plot lines about people's lives are compelling, the murders are believable and not contrived. I only wish inspector barnaby and sgt troy weren't so kind of... obnoxious. i like them better in the television series!
Julie
In the mood for a British police procedural set in a small town? This was a great mystery- I liked Chief inspector Barnaby, and liked all the characters involved in the murder(s) even more. A wonderful diversion.
Carey
Great book. I really liked the book and I have seen Midsomer Murders tv show.
Cooper Renner
A fine mystery, the first I've read in the series, though I've seen several of the tv movies based on the Barnaby character. Tricky, plot-wise, and strongly characterized.
Rachel
My family has been renting and enjoying the "Midsomer Murders" series, so I thought I would give the books a chance. This was a solid mystery, so I'll read others.
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Terror on Tuesday
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • Orchestrated Death A Mystery Introducing Inspector Bill Slider (Bill Slider,#1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • Green for Danger
  • Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)
  • Midwinter of the Spirit (Merrily Watkins, #2)
Caroline Graham is an English playwright, screenwriter and novelist. She attended the Open University, and received a degree in writing for the theatre from the University of Birmingham.

Series:
* Chief Inspector Barnaby

More about Caroline Graham...
The Killings At Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #1) Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2) Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5) A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7) Written In Blood (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #4)

“argument before he was” 0 likes