Start by marking “Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures” as Want to Read:
Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  8 reviews
As cultures and languages disappear from the Earth at a shocking rate, it becomes all the more urgent for us to know and value the world’s many ethnic identities. National Geographic’s Book of Peoples of the World propels that important quest with concern, authority, and respect. Created by a team of experts, this hands-on resource offers thorough coverage of more than 200 ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by National Geographic (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Peoples of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Peoples of the World

Chelsea
Mar 03, 2009 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in different cultures, anthropology or religion students
Recommended to Chelsea by: It was one of the few English books in a big Dutch bookstore.
I love this book. It's categorized into sections by continent and area of the world. It has information on all different kinds of ethnic groups from little tribes in tiny places in Africa to the Amish and then also bigger groups like Italians. It tells you facts and statistics about the current population in that group as well as history, traditions, language, location, religions.

And obviously, because it's published by National Geographic is has AMAZING pictures.

Definitely worth the high pric
Cherie
A- I was on a Wade Davis kick so I checked this out…massive, huge book with lots of text and beautiful photographs (it's a National Geographic production). It gives overviews of cultures (clustering them together by region), giving some pertinent but really broad information abt the cultures. Really fascinating stuff, interesting facts. For the armchair anthropologist or armchair traveler or anyone interested in diversity or understanding the world.
Abdalla
Its a fantastic book for those who are having interest in people and culture, a very useful tool for getting to know how people in all different parts of the world are living their lives.

If you are a frequent traveler, the book will be of a great help as it gives an insight on what to expect before arriving to the desired destination. Its really a must have book!
Terence
A production of National Geographic and up to that organization's usual quality: beautiful photos and informative (if too short) articles.

And an example of just how freakin' complex this old world of ours is.
Jasmine Hawamdeh
I picked this book up because it was given to me by my dad. He is always traveling and he gave me this book as a gift (from the airport), I have an interest on the people that live around the world and how our lives can be different/the same. One of my dreams is to travel all around the world and this book helps be knowledgeable about what is out there.
This book takes you through a journey across the globe, continent by continent and then culture by culture. It really is amazing, because they de
Farhana Faruq
Jan 30, 2010 Farhana Faruq rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
What an excellent book!
It's full of interesting information covering 222 ethnic groups, and a variety of photographs.

The articles aren't very detailed but enough to get a basic idea about the culture, language and religion of each group. I would have liked more photographs - at least one per group.

I also found it very distressing to learn how close we are to losing so many languages (and cultures).

We have a world filled with lots of wonderful and different people, it's definitely worth checking
Morgen Shambaugh
I used this book in social studies to teach students about the different cultures around the world. The photographs alone tell so much about different cultures around the globe, and how they do the same things differently. This book is excellent for teaching kids about Culture and also eye opening for adults.
Christine
very informative
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Esme
Esme marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Grace Gao
Grace Gao marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Mohamed ammar
Mohamed ammar marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Mykhailo Kotsur
Mykhailo Kotsur marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Jordy
Jordy added it
Aug 02, 2015
JadeOlivia
JadeOlivia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Noura Aldawood
Noura Aldawood marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Ashley Parent
Ashley Parent marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Thomas Morrison
Thomas Morrison marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Michele Cipressi
Michele Cipressi marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jessie Ladouceur
Jessie Ladouceur marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sara Alakkash
Sara Alakkash marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ali Al-Mansoori
Ali Al-Mansoori marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Rational Ritual: Culture, Coordination, And Common Knowledge
  • At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay
  • A Short History of Rudeness: Manners, Morals, and Misbehavior in Modern America
  • Network+ Guide to Networks (Networking (Course Technology))
  • God's Terrorists: The Wahhabi Cult and the Hidden Roots of Modern Jihad
  • 1000 Events That Shaped the World
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • Shock of Gray: The Aging of the World's Population and How it Pits Young Against Old, Child Against Parent, Worker Against Boss, Company Against Rival, and Nation Against Nation
  • Envisioning Freedom: Cinema and the Building of Modern Black Life
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2004
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD 30–325
4652058
Edmund Wade Davis has been described as "a rare combination of scientist, scholar, poet, and passionate defender of all of life's diversity."

An ethnographer, writer, photographer, and filmmaker, he holds degrees in anthropology and biology and received his Ph.D. in ethnobotany, all from Harvard University. Mostly through the Harvard Botanical Museum, he spent more than three years in the Amazon an
More about Wade Davis...
The Serpent and the Rainbow Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World (CBC Massey Lecture) One River Light at the Edge of the World