Start by marking “Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures” as Want to Read:
Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  8 reviews
As cultures and languages disappear from the Earth at a shocking rate, it becomes all the more urgent for us to know and value the world’s many ethnic identities. National Geographic’s Book of Peoples of the World propels that important quest with concern, authority, and respect. Created by a team of experts, this hands-on resource offers thorough coverage of more than 200 ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by National Geographic (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Peoples of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Peoples of the World

Chelsea
Mar 03, 2009 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in different cultures, anthropology or religion students
Recommended to Chelsea by: It was one of the few English books in a big Dutch bookstore.
I love this book. It's categorized into sections by continent and area of the world. It has information on all different kinds of ethnic groups from little tribes in tiny places in Africa to the Amish and then also bigger groups like Italians. It tells you facts and statistics about the current population in that group as well as history, traditions, language, location, religions.

And obviously, because it's published by National Geographic is has AMAZING pictures.

Definitely worth the high pric
Cherie
A- I was on a Wade Davis kick so I checked this out…massive, huge book with lots of text and beautiful photographs (it's a National Geographic production). It gives overviews of cultures (clustering them together by region), giving some pertinent but really broad information abt the cultures. Really fascinating stuff, interesting facts. For the armchair anthropologist or armchair traveler or anyone interested in diversity or understanding the world.
Abdalla
Its a fantastic book for those who are having interest in people and culture, a very useful tool for getting to know how people in all different parts of the world are living their lives.

If you are a frequent traveler, the book will be of a great help as it gives an insight on what to expect before arriving to the desired destination. Its really a must have book!
Terence
A production of National Geographic and up to that organization's usual quality: beautiful photos and informative (if too short) articles.

And an example of just how freakin' complex this old world of ours is.
Jasmine Hawamdeh
I picked this book up because it was given to me by my dad. He is always traveling and he gave me this book as a gift (from the airport), I have an interest on the people that live around the world and how our lives can be different/the same. One of my dreams is to travel all around the world and this book helps be knowledgeable about what is out there.
This book takes you through a journey across the globe, continent by continent and then culture by culture. It really is amazing, because they de
Farhana Faruq
Jan 30, 2010 Farhana Faruq rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
What an excellent book!
It's full of interesting information covering 222 ethnic groups, and a variety of photographs.

The articles aren't very detailed but enough to get a basic idea about the culture, language and religion of each group. I would have liked more photographs - at least one per group.

I also found it very distressing to learn how close we are to losing so many languages (and cultures).

We have a world filled with lots of wonderful and different people, it's definitely worth checking
Morgen Shambaugh
I used this book in social studies to teach students about the different cultures around the world. The photographs alone tell so much about different cultures around the globe, and how they do the same things differently. This book is excellent for teaching kids about Culture and also eye opening for adults.
Christine
very informative
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Thomas Morrison
Thomas Morrison marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Michele Cipressi
Michele Cipressi marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jessie Ladouceur
Jessie Ladouceur marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sara Alakkash
Sara Alakkash marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Ali Al-Mansoori
Ali Al-Mansoori marked it as to-read
Weal Fahad
Weal Fahad marked it as to-read
Rakad
Rakad marked it as to-read
Nicole Haberer
Nicole Haberer marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Liam Parker
Liam Parker marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Hanley
Hanley marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alexandra Cavanagh
Alexandra Cavanagh marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Gaurav Ramesh
Gaurav Ramesh marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Laurie Heupel
Laurie Heupel marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How We Crossed the West: The Adventures of Lewis and Clark
  • Weird History 101
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay
  • A Short History of Rudeness: Manners, Morals, and Misbehavior in Modern America
  • Christian Beginnings: From Nazareth to Nicaea, AD 30–325
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2002
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • Blue: The History of a Color
4652058
Edmund Wade Davis has been described as "a rare combination of scientist, scholar, poet, and passionate defender of all of life's diversity."

An ethnographer, writer, photographer, and filmmaker, he holds degrees in anthropology and biology and received his Ph.D. in ethnobotany, all from Harvard University. Mostly through the Harvard Botanical Museum, he spent more than three years in the Amazon an
More about Wade Davis...
The Serpent and the Rainbow Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World (CBC Massey Lecture) One River Light at the Edge of the World