Start by marking “Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures” as Want to Read:
Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

Book of Peoples of the World: A Guide to Cultures

As cultures and languages disappear from the Earth at a shocking rate, it becomes all the more urgent for us to know and value the world’s many ethnic identities. National Geographic’s Book of Peoples of the World propels that important quest with concern, authority, and respect. Created by a team of experts, this hands-on resource offers thorough coverage of more than 200 ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by National Geographic (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Peoples of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Peoples of the World

Cherie
Mar 07, 2013 Cherie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
A- I was on a Wade Davis kick so I checked this out…massive, huge book with lots of text and beautiful photographs (it's a National Geographic production). It gives overviews of cultures (clustering them together by region), giving some pertinent but really broad information abt the cultures. Really fascinating stuff, interesting facts. For the armchair anthropologist or armchair traveler or anyone interested in diversity or understanding the world.
Chelsea
Mar 03, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in different cultures, anthropology or religion students
Recommended to Chelsea by: It was one of the few English books in a big Dutch bookstore.
I love this book. It's categorized into sections by continent and area of the world. It has information on all different kinds of ethnic groups from little tribes in tiny places in Africa to the Amish and then also bigger groups like Italians. It tells you facts and statistics about the current population in that group as well as history, traditions, language, location, religions.

And obviously, because it's published by National Geographic is has AMAZING pictures.

Definitely worth the high pric
Abdalla
Oct 28, 2013 Abdalla rated it really liked it
Its a fantastic book for those who are having interest in people and culture, a very useful tool for getting to know how people in all different parts of the world are living their lives.

If you are a frequent traveler, the book will be of a great help as it gives an insight on what to expect before arriving to the desired destination. Its really a must have book!
Terence
A production of National Geographic and up to that organization's usual quality: beautiful photos and informative (if too short) articles.

And an example of just how freakin' complex this old world of ours is.
Jasmine Hawamdeh
Mar 26, 2012 Jasmine Hawamdeh rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-reads
I picked this book up because it was given to me by my dad. He is always traveling and he gave me this book as a gift (from the airport), I have an interest on the people that live around the world and how our lives can be different/the same. One of my dreams is to travel all around the world and this book helps be knowledgeable about what is out there.
This book takes you through a journey across the globe, continent by continent and then culture by culture. It really is amazing, because they de
Farhana Faruq
Dec 12, 2009 Farhana Faruq rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: non-fiction
What an excellent book!
It's full of interesting information covering 222 ethnic groups, and a variety of photographs.

The articles aren't very detailed but enough to get a basic idea about the culture, language and religion of each group. I would have liked more photographs - at least one per group.

I also found it very distressing to learn how close we are to losing so many languages (and cultures).

We have a world filled with lots of wonderful and different people, it's definitely worth checking
Morgen Shambaugh
I used this book in social studies to teach students about the different cultures around the world. The photographs alone tell so much about different cultures around the globe, and how they do the same things differently. This book is excellent for teaching kids about Culture and also eye opening for adults.
Christine
Jul 29, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
very informative
Daniela
Daniela rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Scott Holdaway
Scott Holdaway rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Piero
Piero rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Clementine
Clementine rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2010
Gregory Alec Landua
Gregory Alec Landua rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Myshkin
Myshkin rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Shar
Shar rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Bradley Forment
Bradley Forment rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2015
Ryan Miller
Ryan Miller rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Lori Henry
Lori Henry rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Regina Hunter
Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Ains
Ains rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
Mateo Bal
Mateo Bal rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Alena
Alena rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Sarah Puxley
Sarah Puxley rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Big Talk: Poems for Four Voices
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • Woman Defamed and Woman Defended: An Anthology of Medieval Texts
  • A Short History of Rudeness: Manners, Morals, and Misbehavior in Modern America
  • Envisioning Freedom: Cinema and the Building of Modern Black Life
  • Narcocorrido: A Journey into the Music of Drugs, Guns, and Guerrillas
  • A is for Salad
  • Who Will Write Our History?: Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Jesus the Jew: A Historian's Reading of the Gospels
  • Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa
4652058
Edmund Wade Davis has been described as "a rare combination of scientist, scholar, poet, and passionate defender of all of life's diversity."

An ethnographer, writer, photographer, and filmmaker, he holds degrees in anthropology and biology and received his Ph.D. in ethnobotany, all from Harvard University. Mostly through the Harvard Botanical Museum, he spent more than three years in the Amazon an
More about Wade Davis...