Start by marking “The Princess and the Pea” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Pea

The Princess and the Pea

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A young girl feels a pea through twenty mattresses and twenty featherbeds and proves she is a real princess.
Published September 1st 1985 by North-South

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Pea

i thought I was well acquainted with this fairy tale but I was surprised by the ending. In all the stories I remember a bowling ball is placed beneath all the mattresses to ensure the princess will feel it, unlike the improbable pea. The more I thought about it though, I realized including a bowling ball would add a level of common sense to the story, but old fairy tales weren't always concerned by logic. Like Arthur pulling the sword from the stone and proving his right to rule, the princess fe ...more
Lauryn Carroll
This book surprised me in how short it was. I read it because I did not know the story very well and wanted a reminder of how it goes. I thought that there was a lot more to it. I read it in about a couple minutes and I felt like there was no moral or theme in the story. Maybe that is how this story is supposed to go, but I would have to say it wasn't my favorite. However, I did like the illustrations. The princess' bed that was stacked high with mattresses was so creative and fun. It looked so ...more
I enjoyed particularly what this artist did to portray this story. It is unique and interesting, the mattresses being portrayed in a fun way as well as the attire of the princess and people. The author portrayed the story in a interesting way that made me realize I didn't know the story as well as I had thought. Its defiantly older than any version I have heard but I enjoyed how it seemed to stick true to what I would think is the original telling of this tale.
This has always been one of my favorite stories, so of course I liked this book! The artwork was interesting though. It was a little different that you would expect and not something you see very often. It is definitely worth reading though!
Victoria Tracy
I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations were very entertaining and beautifully drawn. It is a very good read for children and tells the story well. Overall it was an enjoyable read.
It was a very simple book. I could have told the story myself. The artwork was nice, but also as simple as the story.
El primer libro que leí cuando era una bebe :).
This is a nice book. The illustrations by Dorothee Duntze are nice.

I've never quite understood this tale. First of all, 20 mattresses would have squashed a pea. Secondly, not even a princess could feel a pea through all that. But even if she did, what does that say about her? That she is so fussy that she is bothered by a mere pea would be reason to disqualify her from marrying the prince.

Yeah, I know; I read too much into these things.
This book was a classic telling of the story of Princess and the Pea, but it was not very creative and the pictures were not all that great. It wasn't very impressive or memorable.
This is my favorite Andersen story, but not this version with its illustrations. I did like the use of the coral color instead of a pink. But the faces on the people did not appeal to me. I'm off to look at other versions.
I always heard references to this story but never actualy knew what happened in the story although everyone knows a simplified the version it is worth reading the full version.
The illustrations are interesting.
Rose Lecias-Maco
Rose Lecias-Maco marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Tania marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Zoe Rodriguez
Zoe Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Carli added it
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rapunzel: A Grimm's Fairy Tale Twelve Days of Christmas Hansel and Gretel The Life of Jesus: Adapted from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible Six Swans