The Princess and the Pea

The Princess and the Pea

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A young girl feels a pea through twenty mattresses and twenty featherbeds and proves she is a real princess.
Published September 1st 1985 by North-South

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Pea

Cheryl in CC NV
Jul 28, 2011 Cheryl in CC NV rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: xurol
Different versions of Andersen's stories and of folk & fairy tales provide readers with entirely different experiences - I'm reviewing the one illustrated by Dorothee Duntze. I appreciate the talent of the artist, and all the effort to add rich details and appropriate colors and designs... but I have to say that I, personally, did not care for the style of illustrations.
Brenda
El primer libro que leí cuando era una bebe :).
Robert
This is a nice book. The illustrations by Dorothee Duntze are nice.

I've never quite understood this tale. First of all, 20 mattresses would have squashed a pea. Secondly, not even a princess could feel a pea through all that. But even if she did, what does that say about her? That she is so fussy that she is bothered by a mere pea would be reason to disqualify her from marrying the prince.

Yeah, I know; I read too much into these things.
Julianna
This book was a classic telling of the story of Princess and the Pea, but it was not very creative and the pictures were not all that great. It wasn't very impressive or memorable.
Janet
This is my favorite Andersen story, but not this version with its illustrations. I did like the use of the coral color instead of a pink. But the faces on the people did not appeal to me. I'm off to look at other versions.
I always heard references to this story but never actualy knew what happened in the story although everyone knows a simplified the version it is worth reading the full version.
Alfajirikali
The illustrations are interesting.
Anna Yoo
Anna Yoo marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda added it
Jan 15, 2014
Rapunzel: A Grimm's Fairy Tale Twelve Days of Christmas Hansel and Gretel The Life of Jesus: Adapted from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible Six Swans