The Evening And The Morning And The Night

45 pages
Published May 1987

Rod
Jun 27, 2013 Rod added it
"I began the story wondering how much of what we do is encouraged, discouraged, or otherwise guided by what we are genetically," Butler writes. And she does that beautifully, hauntingly in this short piece. I am a big fan. Haven't read her in a while (since The Parable of the Sower and the Parable of the Talents many years ago). This reminds me of why I am a big fan. I'll be exploring more of her early novels (The Patternist series; Lilith's Brood...)
Destinie
I wrote this comment:

"Reading Octavia Butler's "The evening and the morning and the night" reminds me of wistfully watching episodes of Criminal Minds as I eat, envying the members of the BAU weathering the storms of their work as though they were a family. Wishing I could be offered a job where I was needed, and only I could do the work that needed to be done.

Knowing that I belonged, that I fit. "

back on 26 July, 2013 (which was MEOW Date 7 August, 12013 H.E.) and I no longer recall why I made...more
Natasha
An amazing short story about diseases and that one question that always nags at anyone who has ever been curious about cancer, disease, and death
Diane
This felt like a trailer for the full book. I wanted to know more, much more of what happened with the characters.
Well done as always Butler.
George S.
Indeed one of the best short stories I've read in a while. Gripping, thoroughly constructed, and mind-provoking.
Bc
Bc marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Julia Ten
Julia Ten marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Zeke Springer
Zeke Springer marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jacquelyn Johnson
Jacquelyn Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jacquelyne Landry
Jacquelyne Landry marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Jacqueline Treiber
Jacqueline Treiber marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Sarah Young
Sarah Young marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Lianna
Lianna marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
A Chaos Fairy
A Chaos Fairy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Tiffany Ragin
Tiffany Ragin marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Octavia Estelle Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.
More about Octavia E. Butler...
Kindred Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) Fledgling Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2) Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)