Start by marking “The Evening And The Morning And The Night” as Want to Read:

The Evening And The Morning And The Night

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  10 reviews
45 pages
Published May 1987

To ask other readers questions about The Evening And The Morning And The Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evening And The Morning And The Night

I'm always enthralled by the ethical and philosophical ponderings in Ms. Butler's work, and this is no exception. It has a bit of flavor of Beggars in Spain (or the reverse, since this was written first), and I would have been interested in staying longer in this world.

Read as part of the collection, Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora.
Jun 27, 2013 Rod added it
"I began the story wondering how much of what we do is encouraged, discouraged, or otherwise guided by what we are genetically," Butler writes. And she does that beautifully, hauntingly in this short piece. I am a big fan. Haven't read her in a while (since The Parable of the Sower and the Parable of the Talents many years ago). This reminds me of why I am a big fan. I'll be exploring more of her early novels (The Patternist series; Lilith's Brood...)
Full review at my blog
I wrote this comment:

"Reading Octavia Butler's "The evening and the morning and the night" reminds me of wistfully watching episodes of Criminal Minds as I eat, envying the members of the BAU weathering the storms of their work as though they were a family. Wishing I could be offered a job where I was needed, and only I could do the work that needed to be done.

Knowing that I belonged, that I fit. "

back on 26 July, 2013 (which was MEOW Date 7 August, 12013 H.E.) and I no longer recall why I made
Dione Basseri
A fascinating story! Humanity finds a cure for cancer, but it implants a new illness in those who take the treatment. They begin to disassociate from themselves, eventually tearing their own flesh apart and, in worst cases, lashing out at any nearby human, as well. Wards are established and the children of the afflicted find they also carry the disease. In this story, we focus on two college students, both descended from two positive-tested parents, who are awaiting their inevitable gruesome dem ...more
An amazing short story about diseases and that one question that always nags at anyone who has ever been curious about cancer, disease, and death
This felt like a trailer for the full book. I wanted to know more, much more of what happened with the characters.
Well done as always Butler.
Oh why, why, why did you have to die? So crazy talented, so many stories unwritten...

This is classic Octavia Butler. She express themes that crop up, exorcism, in the Lilith's Brood series. A well-executed, compelling, wholly unique story.
George S.
Indeed one of the best short stories I've read in a while. Gripping, thoroughly constructed, and mind-provoking.
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Tamara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Falexis marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Cary Miller
Cary Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Tishana Trainor
Tishana Trainor marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Sonia Cassell
Sonia Cassell marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Drew Mccutchen
Drew Mccutchen marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
QueenAmidala28 marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
eknames marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Mary Campbell
Mary Campbell marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
O. Poole
O. Poole marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Raenel marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Dea Burjanadze
Dea Burjanadze marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Cara marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
  • Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture
  • The Kundalini Equation
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Justice League of America, Vol. 6: When Worlds Collide
  • The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction
  • Bit Rot (Freyaverse #1.5)
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet and Other Stories
  • The Eyes Have It
  • The Lowest Heaven
  • They're Made Out of Meat
  • She Commands Me and I Obey (Imperial Radch, #0.6)
Octavia Estelle Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.
More about Octavia E. Butler...