Start by marking “Blue Like Friday” as Want to Read:
Blue Like Friday

Blue Like Friday

NOT EVERYONE SEES THE WORLD THROUGH THE SAME LENS.  From the author of Something Invisible comes this funny and poignant novel about the hues of friendship.

Spunky Olivia and eccentric Hal are an unlikely pair. While Hal suffers from a neurological condition called synesthesia that causes him to associate things with colors, Olivia tends to see the world in black and white.
Published March 18th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published May 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Like Friday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Like Friday

Nicola
Aug 21, 2011 Nicola rated it liked it
This was okay. It was a really cute, quick, easy read but there wasn't really much substance to it. Olivia was a really fun and interesting character and her very distinct voice made the book nice to read. I didn't really enjoy Hal -I thought his 'quirks' were just too overdone to be interesting. The story itself was okay but really, really predictable so the twist at the end didn't really feel like a twist to me at all. Overall it was okay and witty at parts- just not very memorable.
Steve
Dec 09, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Genre: Young Adult Novel / Fiction

This is the story of friends. They decide to play a prank of one of their mother’s boyfriends hoping it will break the two adults up. But there are some complications and they begin to worry about what will happen to the boyfriend. And after the mother doesn’t return for a couple of days, the children really start to worry. This book is both funny and heartwarming. Because of the friendship that the children have, it allows for an easily relatable book between
Becky
Jun 01, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Siobhan. 2008. Blue Like Friday.

This one has a nice, quirky narrator. Olivia has definitely got a voice all her own. Blue Like Friday is a book about friendship, about life, about holding on and letting go. On the surface, though, this is a light and enjoyable mystery. Olivia has a best friend, Hal; he's definitely quirky and weird. But he's got a tragic past as well. His father died when he was young. And Hal is having a really really difficult time accepting her mother's boyfriend. Hal wants t
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I guess poignant is a good descriptor for this book -- at points it is also quite funny. I am not entirely sure about the narrator's voice -- she seems slightly inconsistent, both too wise and too dense at various times. But, I guess any 12-year-old might be exactly like that: getting to be adult like sometimes, and yet very childish at other times. The kite as a metaphor is not quite subtle, although also quite beautiful. I guess my feelings are quite mixed about this book. Definitely enjoyed t ...more
Ginger
Apr 29, 2009 Ginger rated it it was ok
Though I only gave this book two stars, I'm a bit on the fence about it. I seriously considered abandoning this book after about ten pages, because I couldn't stand the narrative voice and there didn't seem to be a plot to hang my hat on. I stuck with it, though, and there was a certain pay-off by the end, as the narrative voice evened out and the plot came together. Still, I'm left wishing there had been more.
Nicole
May 05, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: blue-like-friday
something that i like about this book it that it explain you about him like the boy name is call Hal and it said that he isn't bonkers but only a bit weird because he get idea that make s things back something like that. but Hal doesn't see the world like most people do. when he says friday is blue he is not using a metaphor to him friday is literally the color blue. olivia is other person so she does understand that despite. this what i remember about the book.
Alison
Jan 29, 2013 Alison rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fiction
A lovely little Irish book for upper primary kids - full of adventures like the famous five talking to policemen (only in Ireland it's the Guard). It has a little sad feeling to it though (the explanation behind the title) but has a sweet ending.
The kids (boy and girl best friends) deal with divorce, bossy parents, big brothers, the law, cycling all over town, curfews, and letting go (of kites and fathers).
Sarah D.
Nov 14, 2008 Sarah D. rated it did not like it
I could not stand this book. I felt that it was very confusing and weird. I do not recommend it. This is a book about weird things and I didn't understand a single word of this book. For me, it was truly a tedious read.
Emily
Jan 24, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I really, really like this book-- quirky kids and great writing. I think I'm going to nominate it for the Rebecca Caudill Book Award (2011). Some kids might struggle with the text more than others (due to the Irish dialect/tone) but there is a glossary in back for those troubling words :)
Vicky
Dec 08, 2008 Vicky rated it it was amazing
Hal cannot accept the new man in his mother's life. He is still grieving from his father's death. He makes an elaborate plan to get his mom and her boyfriend to argues, so they will separate. This is humorous, heartwarming storytelling.
Jane
Jan 01, 2009 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: friendship
I picked this one up when I saw that one of the characters has synesthesia, which ended up not playing much of a part in the story other than that the other main character kept calling him weird. Nevertheless it was kind of a sweet story about friendship.
Christine
Oct 28, 2010 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: jf-ya
This is a sweet, funny book. Give it a chapter to get used to the Irish dialect. There is a glossary in back. I liked this almost 4 stars.
Afton Nelson
Afton Nelson rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2008
Momoe
Momoe rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Yat-Yee Chong
Yat-Yee Chong rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2009
Bailey
Bailey rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2014
Lara.B
Lara.B rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Mary Rieck
Mary Rieck rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Kerenprice
Kerenprice rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2009
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Lyndi
Lyndi rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2009
Sharlene
Sharlene rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Chelsea Styles
Chelsea Styles rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2012
Eloise
Eloise rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Ozma
Nov 15, 2014 Ozma rated it really liked it
Shelves: disability
This book was so obviously narrated by a preteen that I could almost hear my younger self in it.
« previous 1 3 next »
Siobhán Parkinson is an Irish writer for both children and adults. Siobhán grew up in Galway and Donegal. Her books have won numerous awards and have been translated into several languages. She is currently a co-editor of Bookbird, the magazine of international children's literature organsation IBBY. She resides in The Republic of Ireland with her husband Roger Bennett and son Matthew.
More about Siobhán Parkinson...