Summer of Pearls

Summer of Pearls

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Ben Crowell remembers the Great Caddo Lake Pearl Rush of 1874. He was fourteen that year, and his home, the riverboat community of Port Caddo, was dying. By the end of the summer, the pearl boom was over, Port Caddo was doomed, and the mystery over who killed Judd Kelso began. It took Ben forty years to solve the mystery, and once he did, the proof came only for him to wit...more
Published September 2nd 2000 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Pearls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Pearls

Lisa Nelms

I found this book in the dollar store and bought it because the author is from Marble Falls. I took it to the beach because it was the perfect size to read over the weekend. I knew nothing about it. I was so surprised! It was such a good read. I could hardly put it down. It had the right among of history, a murder mystery and a love story. It was well told by a true Texan. It reminded me of a Larry McMurtry novel. I will be looking for other books by this author. He is such a good storyteller!
Caryn
Wonderful tale of the deep bayou south after the civil war, without pandering to the obvious topic of Reconstruction. The characters are colorful and believable, and I would like to read more about the story of Carol Ann and Billy Treat. Where did they go when they left Caddo Lake?
Linda
"Friendships that will resume in the afterlife." "It was that summer that I learned life would not always be simple, or fun, or easy. Neither would it always be complicated, or painful, or hard."

Good book.
Debra
Ben Crowell, now in his eighties, reflects back on his youth and to the 1874 Pearl Rush in the tiny Texas town where he lived.
Georgie K
Interesting book. I don't know why Pearl/Carol Anne is so intriguing. Then again, I'm not a boy.
Ashley Edlin
Ashley Edlin is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
Mark Haines
Mark Haines marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Bethany Heintz
Bethany Heintz marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Ty Roper
Ty Roper marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Bookworm
Bookworm marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2012
Lenora Shope
Lenora Shope marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2012
Jessica Ann
Jessica Ann marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Heather Smith
Heather Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2012
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012
Jessica Hughes
Jessica Hughes marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
Nikki Goldsmith
Nikki Goldsmith marked it as to-read
May 09, 2012
Comanche Dawn: A Novel Moon Medicine Shortgrass Song Come Sundown Too Long at the Dance: The sequel to 'Shortgrass Song'