Veronica Ganz

Veronica Ganz

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  9 reviews

One of the most famous bullies in children's books, Veronica Ganz has never met her match. She has systematically beaten up everybody in all of the classes, and has never been challenges until... until little Peter Wedemeyer moves into the neighborhood. Taunting, teasing and always one step ahead of her mighty fists, Veronica must find a way to teach him who is boss.
Published December 27th 2007 by Backinprint.com (first published 1968)

Nessa Borealis
This book takes a disgruntled, thwarted young girl and makes her accessible and compelling as a character. Plus, its renditions of New York City working-class apartment life are spot-on. One of my top 5 books of all time.
NebraskaIcebergs
One on the most famous bullies in children’s literature, Veronica Ganz has never met her match. Until Peter. He taunts her with chants, puts thumbtacks on her chair, and systematically avoids being beaten up by her. Can Veronica find a way to teach him who is boss? Should she even try? Forty-five years after its publication in 1968, Veronica Ganz by Marilyn Sachs is still available but has started to show its age.

Girls wearing skirts. Students cleaning chalkboard erasers. Teens with clean langua...more
Sally
I loved Amy Moves in when I was younger - okay, still do! And have also read Amy and Laura so I was interested to read more books about the same characters. Amy doesn't feature in this one at all, it's all about Veronica - as the title suggests - and her trials with bully Peter. Now Veronica Ganz was always THE bully... but I don't know, maybe I have a soft spot for her? But in the other books, you're never really made to wholly dislike Veronica. She's tough and tomboyish and uses her fists, may...more
Amy Flink
I read this as an insecure fourth grader. Like Veronica, I was clumsy and bigger than everyone else, so I was teased a lot. I admired Veronica and the way she never let anyone push her around. Kids were really wild growing up, and I wanted to be like Veronica; brave and strong, taking no guff from anyone! I thought it was cool the way the author attempts to show that women/girls aren't the weaker sex. All my life people told me that men are better than women, etc., and this book settled the scor...more
Marie Farrell
This book is one of my very few happy childhood memories. I laugh remembering the black & white sketches and the line: "Veronica Ganz doesn't wear pants!" I never finished reading it, but got really far. I think I still owe the library money because it was returned late. I really want to read it again (20+ years later). It holds so much importance in my life.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This goes along with the Amy and Laura series because it expands on a character in the series. In the Amy and Laura books, Veronica is mean and a bully. But in this book you get to see another side of her, and to understand why she is the way she is. I just love Marilyn Sachs!
Alisha
kind of a toss-up. I read it as part of Paul's Passalong Books. (www.paulsbooks.org). a coming of age type story. bully-ish girl, gets outsmarted by a boy. funky home life. I didn't feel like the character depth was worthwhile, but look at the age range.
Homeschoolmama
I read this book when I was a child. I loved it. It would be fun to find this book again and re-read it. I wonder if I'd like it as much?
Emily
A girl bully learns a secret weapon to end the cycle of getting even with enemies.
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 18, 2014
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jasmine Allen
Jasmine Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
Mar 03, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 10, 2014
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2013