Start by marking “Veronica Ganz” as Want to Read:
Veronica Ganz

Veronica Ganz (Amy and Laura #4)

One of the most famous bullies in children's books, Veronica Ganz has never met her match. She has systematically beaten up everybody in all of the classes, and has never been challenges until... until little Peter Wedemeyer moves into the neighborhood. Taunting, teasing and always one step ahead of her mighty fists, Veronica must find a way to teach him who is boss.
Published December 27th 2007 by iUniverse (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Veronica Ganz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veronica Ganz

NebraskaIcebergs
Nov 01, 2013 NebraskaIcebergs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One on the most famous bullies in children’s literature, Veronica Ganz has never met her match. Until Peter. He taunts her with chants, puts thumbtacks on her chair, and systematically avoids being beaten up by her. Can Veronica find a way to teach him who is boss? Should she even try? Forty-five years after its publication in 1968, Veronica Ganz by Marilyn Sachs is still available but has started to show its age.

Girls wearing skirts. Students cleaning chalkboard erasers. Teens with clean langua
Nessa Borealis
Jan 21, 2008 Nessa Borealis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes a disgruntled, thwarted young girl and makes her accessible and compelling as a character. Plus, its renditions of New York City working-class apartment life are spot-on. One of my top 5 books of all time.
Homeschoolmama
Aug 04, 2008 Homeschoolmama rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was a child. I loved it. It would be fun to find this book again and re-read it. I wonder if I'd like it as much?
Wayne S.
Sep 23, 2014 Wayne S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen year old Veronica Ganz is a student at Public School 63 and lives with her mother and stepfather, Peggy and Ralph Petronski who run a cleaner, younger sister Mary Rose who is eleven, and little half-brother Stanley who is five, in an apartment in a run-down section of a city like New York; a couple of sources suggest that the story is set “in the early 1940s.” Her father, Frank Ganz, and mother divorced when Veronica was five, and he moved to Las Vegas and remarried. Veronica has been d ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Veronica Ganz is a horrible bully, and most of the kids in her school and neighborhood know better than to cross her. Only Peter Wedemeyer, a new kid who keeps teasing Veronica, is wily enough to outsmart her and avoid being beaten up. This makes Veronica terribly angry, and she begins to try setting traps to catch Peter, only to find the tables turned on her when she least expects it.

As I scanned through the reviews of this book on Goodread
Amy Flink
Apr 28, 2011 Amy Flink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as an insecure fourth grader. Like Veronica, I was clumsy and bigger than everyone else, so I was teased a lot. I admired Veronica and the way she never let anyone push her around. Kids were really wild growing up, and I wanted to be like Veronica; brave and strong, taking no guff from anyone! I thought it was cool the way the author attempts to show that women/girls aren't the weaker sex. All my life people told me that men are better than women, etc., and this book settled the scor ...more
Sally
I loved Amy Moves in when I was younger - okay, still do! And have also read Amy and Laura so I was interested to read more books about the same characters. Amy doesn't feature in this one at all, it's all about Veronica - as the title suggests - and her trials with bully Peter. Now Veronica Ganz was always THE bully... but I don't know, maybe I have a soft spot for her? But in the other books, you're never really made to wholly dislike Veronica. She's tough and tomboyish and uses her fists, may ...more
Marie Farrell
This book is one of my very few happy childhood memories. I laugh remembering the black & white sketches and the line: "Veronica Ganz doesn't wear pants!" I never finished reading it, but got really far. I think I still owe the library money because it was returned late. I really want to read it again (20+ years later). It holds so much importance in my life.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This goes along with the Amy and Laura series because it expands on a character in the series. In the Amy and Laura books, Veronica is mean and a bully. But in this book you get to see another side of her, and to understand why she is the way she is. I just love Marilyn Sachs!
Alisha
Nov 11, 2010 Alisha rated it it was ok
kind of a toss-up. I read it as part of Paul's Passalong Books. (www.paulsbooks.org). a coming of age type story. bully-ish girl, gets outsmarted by a boy. funky home life. I didn't feel like the character depth was worthwhile, but look at the age range.
Michael Fitzgerald
Unpredictable and engaging.
Nessa Burns
Aug 15, 2015 Nessa Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, most realistic depictions of New York City childhood that I have ever read.
Emily
Aug 18, 2012 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl bully learns a secret weapon to end the cycle of getting even with enemies.
Tracy Hager
Tracy Hager rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2008
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2011
Zoeeloise
Zoeeloise rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Tamara TS
Tamara TS rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Anita Smith
Anita Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Elaine Bernstein
Elaine Bernstein rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Eri
Eri rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2010
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2008
Amie
Amie rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Cathy D
Cathy D rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Lee Key
Lee Key rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • The Secret Language
  • Big Max
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Henry Reed's Journey
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • Cracker Jackson
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • The Vengeance of the Witch-Finder (Lewis Barnavelt, #5)
  • Words of Stone
  • The Cheerleader (The Snowy Series, #1)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Stir the Soup
  • Nancy and Plum
  • Betsy Was a Junior / Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy #7-8)
  • Anastasia, Absolutely (Anastasia Krupnik, #9)
  • Greg's Microscope
  • The Noonday Friends

Amy and Laura (7 books)
  • Amy Moves In
  • Laura's Luck
  • Amy and Laura
  • Peter And Veronica (Apple Classics)
  • Marv