Start by marking “Wanted: Assassin's Edition” as Want to Read:
Wanted: Assassin's Edition

Wanted: Assassin's Edition (Wanted Complete)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  10,328 ratings  ·  448 reviews
The smash limited series by Mark Millar (Civil War, The Ultimates), JG Jones (Final Crisis, 52), and Paul Mounts (The Ultimates) is now available in a deluxe "Director's Cut" hardcover edition! Everyman Wesley Gibson just discovered that his father has been killed and that he is next in line to take his place in a secret fraternity of super villains. And Wesley's life will ...more
Published April 8th 2008 by Top Cow Productions (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wanted, please sign up.

Josh The "radioactive condom" probably contains Kryptonite. (Calling any tight stretchy container a condom is fairly common slang.) Opening a box with…moreThe "radioactive condom" probably contains Kryptonite. (Calling any tight stretchy container a condom is fairly common slang.) Opening a box with glowing green Kryptonite to subdue him was extremely common back in the Golden Age. On second thought, it may also contain Green Lantern's ring...

As for the cape, that was instantly recognizable...

Will M.
This is another clear example of why you shouldn't listen to most criticisms about a novel/graphic novel that you're interested in. I bought this without knowing that most of my friends hated this, and that there was a movie made already. I just read the short synopsis at the back because the cover looked fucking great. Months later, I ended up picking this up from the top of my bookshelf, and managed to enjoy the hell out of it.

This is not one of those cheap crime shit that you get most of the
A good story. (I'd expect no less from Millar, who is a great writer.) It's tight and well-contained. A stand alone story that is dense without being too busy.

That said, there's some pretty toxic stuff in here. There's a lot of lot of equally good comics out there that I'd recommend before this one, as they don't reinforce/glamorize some of our culture's darkest tendencies, and this one does.
Jun 18, 2008 Ali rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I'm relieved to hear the upcoming movie, Wanted, is only "loosely" based on this comic - that gives it at least a chance to not suck completely.

Wanted, the comic, does suck completely. That's not a particularly nuanced assertion, but it's true. Almost all of it is plagiarized from other sources, not even subtly. Its most notable unplagiarized theme is the completely unexplainable racism that runs through it. The point of the comic is that supervillains make up a secret society running the world.
A friend of mine recently told me that the movie (with Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman) was better than this book. I had liked the movie, but I was skeptical, because how often does a movie version improve things? By my count, only twice so far (that would be The Prestige and The Children of Men). When I picked this up from the library, I briefly flipped through it and noticed that the Angelina Jolie character is actually black in the book. Oh Hollywood, I thought, you are so white and offensi ...more
J.G. Keely
Millar wrote his crude, violent anti-hero romp twenty years too late. While grittiness is still prized in 'grown up' comics, Millar has apparently mistaken 'mature content' for 'maturity'. Of course, he's not the first to fall into this trap. We've all seen television, movies, and books that place a premium on sex and blood, but presented with all the sophistication of a sniggering teen.

Millar does not have the wit to present these issues seriously, nor are his plotting or characterization stron
I usually like Mark Millar (The Ultimates is absolutely epic) but Wanted is really bad.

A friend of mine often says if you want your protagonist to be a villain, he's got to somehow charm the audience. So even when he's on a murder spree, readers will be like, "Oh, but he's so dashing!"

Wesley Gibson has the personality of a sulky thirteen year old. The sort of kid that shoots up his high school. Wow, how interesting. He's so anti-establishment, he says "fuck" in every panel. Hey wait: does that
Bryce Wilson
It's hard to imagine a more UnPC book then this.

It has a super villain made entirely of shit, the line "I Don't Fuck Goats I Make Love To Them." and ends with the novel literally sodomizing you, the person who shelled out money for it.

It's like Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck Palinuik collaborated on a "superhero" book and kept trying to one up eachother. It's pretty fucking awesome and I had a blast.
Jan 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one in all the multiverse
Lame. The main character (with a stupidly striking resemblance to that most hardcore of rappers, Eminem! *dies*) goes from being the world's biggest loser to...the world's biggest loser! I was captivated, but what I was captivated by was my intense desire to kick Not!Eminem in the balls, shoot him in the face, and be done with the damn thing. I have no problem liking characters who are frankly irredeemable, murderous bastards, I'll excuse a lot for said characters, and I love an excessively viol ...more
The front cover of this book is a picture from the film, which I think is Millar's big f*** you to the film, because it was not the original cover!

I loved it. It's so un PC it's unreal, I think that's why I like it. Cop killing, hero killing, Radom killing, living shit and lots of sex! Nothing gets more in your face than this comic.

This could never be made into a real film. I'm happy the film sucked balls!
I re-read this after watching the trailer to the James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman movie adaptation and... this story of a cubicle drone who becomes a super-powered killer still holds up pretty well.
When The Killer (a Tommy Lee Jones look-alike) is killed, his girlfriend (Halle Berry) inducts his son (Eminem) into a super-criminal fraternity that secretly rules the world.
This book is bursting with cool, filmable scenes, like Eminem shooting flies with a revolver. Or The Killer being s
Seth Hahne
As an example of the internet's new favourite word, Bildungsroman, Millar's super-villain crime spree Wanted is pretty much tit-for-tat. We follow its mopey hero (loosest sense applies) as he, well, butches up—emigrating from the country of the pissed-upon and hopelessly downtrodden to the utopian society of the Real Men and the hopelessly hedonistic.

Wesley is a real downer of a character. Spineless, misanthropic, and racist. A veritable cocktail of a social disease. Throw in a soul-sucking job
Jim Ef
A nice one time read graphic noveI. Wesley's outfit is cool
Wanted is awful. It's asinine, puerile, ignorant, and not even that entertaining. The much-lauded ending is some of the most laughably impotent metafiction I've ever encountered. Millar's writing is almost always the crayon-fisted work of a hack. The man is pathetic. But for whatever hideous masochistic reason I couldn't put this son of a bitch down. Take from that what you will.
There is something eerily reminiscent in the style of Wanted to the writings of an adolescent school shooter. At one point in the story, the main character brags that while some of the other characters can ride sound waves or walk through walls, he's just good at killing people, and that's fine with him. Swell. From start to finish Wanted is an adolescent power trip for disturbed teenage boys. Anyone else is going to find the graphic novel either dull or silly (at times it is both).

Every page of
Okay, this is not Punisher Max. If you read the review of Punisher Max there are lots of passage you can just copy and paste in for Wanted - the stuff about strength being represented as the ability to rape, as being as racist as you please, as exalting in everything from genital mutilation to cannibalism. But this is not Punisher Max. This has a point. There actually is a point to Wanted. And that's the best thing that can be said for it.

Wanted is about what if the bad guys won? What is the wor
May 12, 2008 Matt rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic nerds, violence fetishists
This is a pretty good comic, even if it is kind of an apology for sociopathy. There is also rampant fanboyism going on here, of an unusually negative variety. Almost of the characters are parodies of famous super villains, most of which are unfunny, and crude in an 8th grade kind of way.

That is kind of the thing. This books sets itself up as a parody, and then paints itself as a deadly serious story. It's all Grim Eighties comic bookery that says it's making fun of Grim Eighties comic bookery. I
I enjoy graphic novels, simply because they are very easy to read and I love the art work and story telling mix. I just finished Wanted which was the combination of the six comics into one graphic novel. Yes, there was a movie based on it, which started with a white Angelina Jolie (I know she is always white but the character she played…not so much). The only common elements between the Graphic Novel and the book were their names and the fact that Wesley’s dad died and he finally learned about h ...more
William Redd
Wanted, as well as being a flip of the traditional superhero origin story (telling the origin of the newest supervillain instead), is also a nice commentary on the dark and gritty comics that have grown more and more in popularity since 1985. The whole thing, to use the parlance of the book, is kind of a big "f-u" to the comics industry, from reader to creator. "Because, who reads comics anymore?"

The world of Wanted is one where the supervillains have won. In fact, they won in 1986 and removed a
And I thought my opinion of Mark Millar couldn't get much worse...

This is apparently one of the main books that made Millar famous, and it is utter shite.

It's bad enough that he frames himself IRL as some sort of liberal champion of gay rights and oppressed minorities, while perpetuating so many harmful stereotypes, tropes, and consistently just writing women, POC, and queer characters terribly. Wanted is Millar's juvenile shock-horror What If story that depicts all the super-villains having suc
I think Mark Millar may be one of the worst writers in comics. Though he has written good books, those were under strict supervision from better writers, such as Grant Morrison, who would curb any of Millar's stupider ideas. Ever since he left the tutelage of those writers, there was little to hold him back from putting his worst ideas to paper. Thus Wanted was born. I read this a couple years back while sitting in a bookstore, filling time, though now I wish I hadn't. At least by reading it, I ...more
well i'm at work so i can't say much about wanted. i don't know if i have much to say to begin with. maybe having just finished the watchmen makes this graphic novel pale in comparison.

i like the whole super-villain angle. loved the evil characters this guy created. shit-head (made from the excrement of the 666 most evil people, fuckwit (super villain with down syndrome), the future(nazi) johnny two dicks(actually thinks and talks with both heads)

at times it was way over the top. violence, rape
Charlie George
Nov 15, 2008 Charlie George rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of supervillains
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wanted tells the story of a hapless office drone who is spirited away by Halle Berry into a fraternity of supervillains who've been secretly ruling the world since 1986, when superheroes were defeated once and for all. This is freestyle escapism at its most irreverent, basically Millar's take on Watchmen, albeit on the side of evil and considerably more juvenile. It's all just too silly to even be offended by it, try as the author might.

Love the ligne claire art style, by the way.
Really couldn't get into this, but the niggling thing of how he'd turn out and what was going on kept me there. Had a real issue with some of the characters too. Did like the villain tack, but just generally an overall blip in his work for me.
Alfonso Junquera perez
El "molonismo" de Mark Millar elevado a la enesima potencia. Un pobre pringao descubre que dispara mas y mejor que nadie en el mundo, el cual a mas inri esta gobernado en la sombra por unos supervillanos de lo mas cabrones.

pd: La peli es una mierda.
I'm glad I didn't waste money buying this, though I contemplated it. I read this after watching the movie, and while I thought the movie was ho-hum and relied a lot on the stars' names (though the car scenes were kind of) I have to agree with some people that the movie was better than the graphic novel. Of course there's not so much of what is written here that would translate well to screen (in terms of getting approval), but still.

When the main character rapes because he can and not get caugh
I could barely make it through the first issue. The dialog is forced and has profanity injected for the sake of it, at least twice per speech bubble (and it's BOLD like THIS every FUCKING other FUCKING word GODDAMNIT lest we FUCKING miss it), every character exists to indirectly or directly question the main character's masculinity (his mentor, a woman, literally calls him a faggot and commands him to grow balls), and there is a totally inexplicable undercurrent of racism against his black boss ...more
The basic premise of Wanted is a good one. A young man finds himself initiated into the ranks of an order of super villains who have done away with super heroes and secretly run the world as a sort of costumed Illuminati. Sadly, that premise becomes little more than an excuse for juvenile posturing and "edginess."

Much of the plot plays out as an Axe body spray drenched teenage power fantasy as Wesley (the Eminem doppelganger of a protagonist) goes around blowing people's heads off, raping at wil
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 6: Power Down (Ex Machina, #6)
  • Red
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Patrulla-X: La guerra de Magneto (Colección Extra Superhéroes #2; Patrulla-X #1)
  • The Boys, Volume 7: The Innocents
  • Incognito, Vol. 2: Bad Influences
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 1
  • The Flash of Two Worlds
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...
Superman: Red Son Kick-Ass Civil War The Ultimates The Ultimates, Vol. 1: Super-Human