Start by marking “But I'll Be Back Again” as Want to Read:
But I'll Be Back Again

But I'll Be Back Again

In this straightforward autobiography, Newbery medalist Cynthia Rylant describes some of the most profound influences on her life: her grandmother, a tiny town called Beaver, the Beatles (especially Paul McCartney), and Robert Kennedy.
Published October 22nd 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about But I'll Be Back Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But I'll Be Back Again

Cynthia McCloud
Jun 13, 2013 Cynthia McCloud rated it it was amazing
I know myself better now that I've read this book about someone else who grew up in a similar way. Wow. She puts into words things that I didn't know I was thinking and feeling.
Rachel Terry
Jul 16, 2009 Rachel Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvie, memoir
I love Cynthia Rylant's children's books, from Henry and Mudge to the YA ones like Missing May. And although it was fun to learn about her childhood, this book left me wishing for a whole lot more. I felt like it was rushed and shallow. There were a few wonderful parts, but altogether it was too short and ended before it began.
Robin
Dec 19, 2011 Robin rated it it was amazing
Lovely, poignant, haunting, Cynthia Rylant's story of her childhood in West Virginia -- of her early years with her grandparents, then her mom, her heroes (the Beetles, Bobby Kennedy), friendships and first kisses -- all things that shaped her as a writer.
Carol
Oct 18, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I small book written for the young adult reader. The clever twist was starting each chapter with lyrics from various Beatles songs. Cute book!
Kim
Jun 18, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
very good
Matthew
Jan 15, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a bit of a throwback to another generation, but it was very revealing about the life of one of my favorite authors.
Jane
Nov 26, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
I loved this autobiography, especially as Rylant was one of my favorite authors as a child.
Kathleen
May 17, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1990
TUL
Stasha
Jun 26, 2012 Stasha rated it it was amazing
Quick and real. I enjoyed reading one of my favorite author's autobiography. Abandonment, poverty, love, and faith --good stuff!
Rima
May 10, 2012 Rima rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
read this when I was in high school. Read some parts again just to validate what I remember. I realized it's unforgettable.one of my all-time favorite books.
Kristin LiBretto
Kristin LiBretto rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
May 31, 2016
Morgan Carcieri
Morgan Carcieri rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Morgan Sheehy
Morgan Sheehy rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2017
Tracy VanderHelm
Tracy VanderHelm rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Sloan H
Sloan H rated it liked it
May 11, 2011
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2007
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Jazzy
Jazzy rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2017
Scout
Scout rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
ah
ah rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Suz
Suz rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2011
Cassandra  Banks
Cassandra Banks rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...