Start by marking “But I'll Be Back Again” as Want to Read:
But I'll Be Back Again
Preview

But I'll Be Back Again

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this straightforward autobiography, Newbery medalist Cynthia Rylant describes some of the most profound influences on her life: her grandmother, a tiny town called Beaver, the Beatles (especially Paul McCartney), and Robert Kennedy.
Published October 22nd 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about But I'll Be Back Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But I'll Be Back Again

Rachel Terry
I love Cynthia Rylant's children's books, from Henry and Mudge to the YA ones like Missing May. And although it was fun to learn about her childhood, this book left me wishing for a whole lot more. I felt like it was rushed and shallow. There were a few wonderful parts, but altogether it was too short and ended before it began.
Robin
Lovely, poignant, haunting, Cynthia Rylant's story of her childhood in West Virginia -- of her early years with her grandparents, then her mom, her heroes (the Beetles, Bobby Kennedy), friendships and first kisses -- all things that shaped her as a writer.
Cynthia McCloud
I know myself better now that I've read this book about someone else who grew up in a similar way. Wow. She puts into words things that I didn't know I was thinking and feeling.
Rima
read this when I was in high school. Read some parts again just to validate what I remember. I realized it's unforgettable.one of my all-time favorite books.
Carol
Oct 18, 2013 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I small book written for the young adult reader. The clever twist was starting each chapter with lyrics from various Beatles songs. Cute book!
Matthew
This was definitely a bit of a throwback to another generation, but it was very revealing about the life of one of my favorite authors.
Stasha
Quick and real. I enjoyed reading one of my favorite author's autobiography. Abandonment, poverty, love, and faith --good stuff!
Jane
I loved this autobiography, especially as Rylant was one of my favorite authors as a child.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Meerdi
Meerdi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jenelle Chadwick
Jenelle Chadwick marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Xavier
Xavier marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Deana Cleason
Deana Cleason marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Angie
Angie added it
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge - The First Book Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years