Start by marking “Shelter” as Want to Read:
Shelter

Shelter

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  32 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
After her dad died, Lucy never imagined that things could get worse.
But they did.

She and her mom and little brother lost their new home. Her friends faded away. And the upper middle class life she'd always had slipped fast through her fingertips.

Lucy believes that her family will get back on their feet again. Her mom will find a job, her brother will sleep without nightmar
Published November 14th 2006 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shelter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelter

Cara
Jan 07, 2009 Cara rated it really liked it
I honestly picked up this book because the girl on the cover has such a cool jacket. I know I know that sounds so vain but in reality I would have picked it up anyway because of it's interesting premise.

Gives you valuable insight of how losing things effect people that in reality sometimes you have to reach rock bottom to do something that you couldn't or even think of doing.

The romance was good but I think could have been better. If I ever get a chance to re-read it I will write a more extensiv
Selena
Oct 28, 2014 Selena rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Selena by: my book club
It was a good book that gave a wind into the other side. Many of us think that losing our cell phone is the worst thing in the world. This book gave us another look into lives of people who don't have this luxury. This girl in the book went through a great life. She grew up with everything she could ever want. She went from this great life to living in a homeless shelter. This must have been a huge change for her and this seemed like a hard time. The book gave us a insight of her mind and what s ...more
Amber
I normally never read stuff like this, but I'm glad I did. It was such a heartwarming story, it actually made me cry. Makes me want to strive for what I want to do, no matter what condition I'm in.
Molly Severns
Dec 05, 2014 Molly Severns rated it really liked it
Well written riches to rags transformation story.
Abbie
Mar 21, 2008 Abbie rated it it was amazing
When Lucy's dad died, her little brother and her mom lost their brand new home. They soon found out that they had to move into a shelter! This book is about how a girl learns to cope with various situations of hers and learns to accept new people. I love this book!
Barbara
Sep 26, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
This was a book meant more for teenagers but it was still a good read for older women also. Hard to identify with things in the book yet I know it can happen to anyone! However, we never think it could happen to us!
Tenzin
Nov 04, 2009 Tenzin rated it it was amazing
i learned a lot of things that homeless go through and about shelters. i also learned about how homeless spent their money and homeless life.
Ainura
Nov 23, 2008 Ainura rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ainura by: a good friend
Very good book. Very realistic.
Alejandra
I recommend this book. It's very good.
Bess
Apr 12, 2011 Bess rated it it was amazing
moms second novel
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Kati Smith
Kati Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Savannah Avery
Savannah Avery marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Darci
Darci added it
Jan 22, 2016
Michelle Jeffery
Michelle Jeffery marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Desi
Desi marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Nicole Hawkins
Nicole Hawkins rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Jh
Jh marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Donya
Donya is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2014
Gloria
Gloria is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Ms. Bentley
Ms. Bentley marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Regan
Regan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Beth Cooley is an associate professor and the chair of the English department at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington, where she lives with her husband and their two daughters. Her first novel, "Ostrich Eye," won the Delacorte Press Prize.
More about Beth Cooley...