Start by marking “The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror” as Want to Read:
The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror

The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror (Doc Savage: Double Features #1, 2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Man of Bronze's origin story is revealed in the classic Lester Dent novels that launched the superhero genre, in an extra-length volume commemorating the 75th anniversary of Doc Savage's pulp debut. First, in "The Man of Bronze", the mysterious death of his father leads Doc to the Central American republic of Hidalgo where they discover a lost Mayan empire in the mythi ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Nostalgia Ventures (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of Bronze / The Land of Terror

Blake Adamson
Jun 18, 2013 Blake Adamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a comic book geek. it's a fact. And anyone with Superman nerd knowledge will tell you Doc Savage is the forerunner to the Man of Steel. That said, I felt it prudent to try to see what Joe Shuster & Jerry Siegel saw in him. Now, as a book written in the 1930's, I thought it would just be a fun slam-and-bang read, nothing special. So, I opened this pulpy page-turner with the expectation of "Gee-Whizzes" abounding to the point of pointlessness. But, to my shock and awe, Clark Savage Jr. and ...more
Kara Jorges
Dec 14, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
I can’t get enough adventure fiction and I’ve found precious little of my favorite variety; high adrenaline action that doesn’t get too technical or political. After having devoured all of Cussler and his ilk, my mind dredged up a memory of a movie and a couple paperbacks left lying around the house when I was a kid, so I put Doc Savage in the search engine.

This is only the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Doc Savage is Dr. Clark Savage Junior. He’s gorgeous, brainy, strong, and is too bus
Dan Schwent
Oct 07, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a fair helping of pulp cheese
Shelves: pulp
I was in the middle of a furious pulp kick and decided to give one of the legends of pulp adventure a try. Man of Bronze was a little stilted and stiff but Dent was working from someone else's outline. I cut him some slack.

Land of Terror was much better and was fairly violent. It is the quintessential pulp adventure story, with a lost colony of dinosaurs inside an inactive volcanic crater, action, plot twists, and a mysterious gas that breaks down the structure of atoms.

One thing I'm noticing i
Matthew Collins
Oct 10, 2011 Matthew Collins rated it really liked it
So, it was really hard to look past the whole "for any normal man there would have appeared nothing there, but to Doc's amazing superhuman eyesight, every small detail was recorded with the utmost precision." (not an actual quote) but once you get over that (and as the novel goes on it calms down on that a little), it is pretty amazing. You also have to remember that this is the stuff that inspired most comic book heroes that we know today. It is written very simplistically but not in a bad way. ...more
Frank Roberts
Jan 26, 2009 Frank Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without Doc Savage, there would have been no Superman, no James Bond, no Indiana Jones. Truly the adventure hero's adventure hero. This double volume includes #s 1 & 2 of the original, 1933 series. They are fun, but Dent (the Kenneth Robeson listed as author) had not fully developed the character yet, so Doc is pretty bloodthirsty (he calms down as the series goes on), and a little more physically superior than later adventures. Truly a fun character, marred by an awful movie in the 1970s. T ...more
Charles
Mar 19, 2016 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artist Pablo Picasso famously said, “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” While reading this book containing the first two stories about the Man of Bronze it was clear that the same phrase can be applied to comic book creators. Doc Savage first appeared in early 1933, during the depths of the Depression and started what has been a genre ever since.
Doc Savage (Clark Savage Jr.) was the first superhero and you can easily see how many subsequent superhero creations blatantly stole ideas from
Keith Bell
First read this book when I was 12yrs old. Was immediately hooked and am again. At one point had almost every Doc Savage story written but lost them all over the years except the first and last. WAY ahead of it's time. Need to find all of these again!!

Originally published as serial stories in magazines, starting in the 30's. Doc Savage is the original Superman but without super powers. Check him out on Wikipedia for more info.
Samuel Singh
Aug 06, 2008 Samuel Singh rated it it was amazing
Doc Savage is one of the modern superheroes for the time that he came out. He is the the very essence of an action hero and this story, the story of his creation and the group that he has with him is something that would make someone want to keep reading more and more of him.
Melvin
Jun 26, 2008 Melvin rated it liked it
Doc Savage was an archeologist/adventurer, who specialized in helping the oppressed right wrongs. His 5 aides were ex-military,scientists, lawyers, chemists etc., all with widely diverse talents and masters in their respective fields. Indiana Jones, eat your heart out!!
James Bowman
Sep 01, 2015 James Bowman rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, sf
A reprint of the first two Doc Savage stories. Very much of their time, warts and all, but still very entertaining adventure tales. I can see why they did so well in the 1930s! The first is a solid introduction, with the cast being well established. The second has Doc being shockingly violent at times for a character described as having "the morals of Jesus Christ", although perhaps you can chalk that up to the circumstances. (Supplementary material in the book says the violence was consciously ...more
Mike Horne
Jan 24, 2010 Mike Horne rated it did not like it
Wow, this was bad. I was an avid Doc Savage reader in elementary school and junior high. Loved them (as well as Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Shadow, the Avenger). This was doubly sad then. If I hear Ham and Monk argue (or described) one more time . . .

What is weird about these two books is the amount of killing that Doc does! Robeson must have caught some grief on this because I hardly remember Doc killing anyone (in fact I thought he just "cured" them). Then I came across this chilling quote (espe
g026r
Dec 09, 2009 g026r rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
It seems somehow wrong to judge these by any ordinary standards, because frankly they weren't written as such: short deadlines where telling a rip-roaring adventure yarn in the required word-count and completed in time for the next issue's print-date was more important than any sort of artistic craftsmanship. And at that, they succeed.

However, taken outside of their original location in the pulp magazines they're formulaic, the characters don't even rise to two-dimensions, the dialogue is wooden
Steve
Dec 26, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Holds up quite well after at least the third or fourth read. The Land of Terror reminded me how much Doc Savage changed, altering how he treats criminals.
Randy
Oct 22, 2013 Randy rated it liked it
Fun pulpy nonsense. A true example of fervent pulp prose. It's unfortunate that these stories fail as real adventure because of the uber-competency of the heroes. Doc Savage simply has no weaknesses, makes no errors, has nothing but utter mastery of every skill in the world. The author actually goes out of his way to say that Doc is more capable than all of his sidekicks at their various specialties.

The real entertainment comes from the nature of the prose. Manly descriptions! Superhuman feats!
Bob Cairns
Jan 31, 2014 Bob Cairns rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, pulp
Good fun with the second story a lot better than the first. Also I totally ship Monk and Ham.
Ben
Jan 24, 2011 Ben rated it liked it
This was some of my first experience with reading classic adventure pulp. It proved to be an enjoyable if not occasionally laborious effort. Unfortunately, the nature of being paid for length tends to lead to a slightly overly laden story. Despite this, however, it proved to be an enjoyable adventure story.
C.S.
Mar 12, 2013 C.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This rating is based entirely on my memory of loving the Doc Savage books as a kid.
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Michael Sigler
Michael Sigler is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Steve Genow
Steve Genow marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Luke Etyrnal
Luke Etyrnal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
September
September marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Joshua West
Joshua West rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
B
B marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Kevin Dumcum
Kevin Dumcum rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
  • Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life
  • Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan, #13/Pellucidar, #4)
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures (Deluxe Edition)
  • Dinosaur Summer
  • The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril
  • Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • At the Mountains of Madness And Other Tales of Terror
  • Indiana Jones Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Seduction of the Innocent (Jack & Maggie Starr #3 - Hard Case Crime #110)
  • Last Call (The Destroyer, #35)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (Indiana Jones: Prequels #10)
  • Indiana Jones and the White Witch (Indiana Jones: Prequels #8)
  • The Time Pirate (Nick McIver, #2)
  • The Living Shadow
Kenneth Robeson was the house name used by Street and Smith Publications as the author of their popular character Doc Savage and later The Avenger. Though most Doc Savage stories were written by the author Lester Dent, there were many others who contributed to the series, including:

William G. Bogart
Evelyn Coulson
Harold A. Davis
Lawrence Donovan
Alan Hathway
W. Ryerson Johnson

Lester Dent is usua
More about Kenneth Robeson...