Start by marking “City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  960,595 ratings  ·  42,887 reviews
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is not ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about City of Bones, please sign up.

Vik I am in my twenties and I love the whole saga. Really well written, amazing stories and plot twists, by the end of the book the author takes a part of…moreI am in my twenties and I love the whole saga. Really well written, amazing stories and plot twists, by the end of the book the author takes a part of you and makes you want to know what is going to happen next. It doesn't matter what age are the main characters, cause if you like fantasy, I think there's a fat chance that you'll love it. (less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
6th out of 10,192 books — 66,592 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
33rd out of 40,477 books — 152,633 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
***Warning: won't contain spoilers cause I didn't get far enough to give a fuck and discover anything worth spoiling.***

Okay, so let me get this out straight. I have never NOT finished a book before. Okay, I'm lying. The History of Sexuality Volume 1 by Michel Foucault remains unfinished as does Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Why? Because they were boring.

Because, as I read them, I wanted to take a cheese grater to my skull and rub vigorously just to have something to do!

But I have never NOT fini
Andrea Caro
Rick Riordan
Okay, so I’m far behind the curve on reading this, but I very much enjoyed my introduction to the world of nephilim, Shadowhunters and demons. Clare constructed a vivid, believable parallel world with great characters, punchy dialogue, and a winning mix of humor, pathos and action. I like her take on warlocks, vampires, and werewolves, and of course I’m a big fan or urban fantasy, where these fantastic elements mix into the regular gritty city life of New York. Clary Fray is a sympathetic protag ...more
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cara by: Tori
Wow. I was reading some reviews on this and people either hate or love it. I am not ashamed to say I belong to the latter. Lots of opinions means there is lots of things to say...

Ok so I was practically splitting my head open thinking of what exactly I wanted to say about this book. In the end I just decided to go with what comes to mind. So here it goes...

Clare does a superb job of drawing you in. Maybe the plot isn't completely unique but the world she created is. I kept telling myself this is
Dec 04, 2013 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage girls, fans of angsty teenage soap
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
15 Jun '13
update again! Saw some stills for the movie, and to be honest, despite being slightly spurious in my "casting" of City of Bones, I actually think my version is much better than the movie version.

I mean, look at Isabelle, and look at Clary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isabelle is supposed to be way hotter than Clary.

And don't even get me started on Jace.

I mean, Jamie Campbell Bower was cute in a couple of his other films, but.... Jace was supposed to be..... I dunno... swoon-on-your-f
I was instantly enchanted when I first read City of Bones, and that enchantment still holds four years, and at least half a dozen re-reads later in sptite of the fact that I'm older, wiser, and should know better. I've also read countless reviews, both adoring and loathing and have come to the conclusion that this book does not garner any type of middle ground, you either love it or you hate it.

I'm glad that I get to love it. What else can I say?

For me, this book shines, and to those of you who
Jul 04, 2007 Shelley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Pure and utter crap. I wish there were ways to give negative stars. I certainly want the time from my life back. I would compare its writing quality to a fanzine, except that comparison wouldn't be fair to fanzines. But I swear to God, it took every single bad fanfic writing cliche and published them. What were her publishers thinking??? Where was her editor?? It was horrible.

I would dearly love for a fanfiction author to make good and become a published writer, but I'd prefer one with talent,
Christina Wilder
This will probably be my longest review, but there's a lot to cover here.

What I liked:

- The action sequences were written well. The pacing in them was decent and I could visualize what was happening.
- The kiss between two characters (view spoiler) was also written well, and I was happy to see a kiss written as a kiss, and not like orgasmic sex (the kiss scene in Fallen was so over the top that it was ridiculous).
- Some of the twisty twists were decent.

What I didn
sunset shimmer

I had to do it.
Sep 07, 2010 Sparrow rated it 2 of 5 stars
I think this book is has some kind of mental disability. I kind of don’t want to make fun of it because, you know, it’s not playing the game with a full deck of cards. But, at the same time, it does not have such a significant learning disability that it needs to sit in a separate classroom from the other stories; it just has this confluence of creepiness and then some kind of mild mental challenge. So, I kind of do want to make fun of it because, you know, you probably don't have to be this unc ...more
Sep 15, 2013 Kiki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Blue fairies
Recommended to Kiki by: A blue fairy
Really, there's nothing very original, or satisfying in the book. She borrowed so heavily from Buffy, Harry Potter, and Star Wars that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It reads like altered fan fiction. And I love fan fiction, make no mistake, but it's not attempting to make a buck off someone else's world, either. Which is essentially what the book is. Cobbled fan fiction that has no cohesion.

I knew Clare as Cassandra Claire from Harry Potter fandom, I will admit, and that did color somewhat. B
Feb 20, 2011 Joyzi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
Recommended to Joyzi by: Stephenie Meyer
Alex Pettyfer Update

Alex Pettyfer Pictures, Images and Photos

Note: I will fucking kill the Casting Director if Alex Pettyfer, the man of my erotic dreams and fantasies*coughs* will not be cast as Jace Wayland! Seriously I don't care if he has a British accent and he already have Beastly, I am Number Four and Torment movies for 2011, I don't freaking care! He need to be Jace Wayland and Peeta Mellark! All I want in my life right now is HIM HIM HIM!!! Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

*Spoilers yeah*

I’m going to say this now so it’s out of the way.
I’ve never read the Draco Trilogy by Cassandra Claire on

I have no right to mention the plagiarism event around the Draco Trilogy in this review, because I have not read it, and so I will not go into the plagiarism event.

I know of the plagiarism, and I find it despicable, but I’m not reviewing that, I’m reviewing City of Bones.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It started EPIC, then tapered
Sasha Alsberg
The Mortal Instruments changed the way I looked a fantasy novels. I am a huge fan now. I defiantly recommend this book for any hunger games, divergent, harry potter, and twilight fans out there. It is truly a fantastic series.
This review contains some minor spoilers.

Scroll down to see an actual review, this is just some of my shit.

Hi there! Jace is hot and I'm Clary but you can call me Your Typical Mary Sue! I know, it's quite a mouthful but, well, I'm special like that. I'm just your average plain looking teenager that all the boys want to bang. I'm also really smart, so smart that I can't notice that my best friend has been in love with me for the last 10 years and that my own mother has more secrets than ev
Aug 03, 2008 Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes urban fantasy
Do yourself a favor and be careful reading reviews or posts that give away the ending of this book. Unfortunately, I read about the devastating twist on a message board and was sorry that I knew, sooner then I wanted to, what direction the story takes towards the end. Of course you'll have to read the next two books in the series in hopes that it's not true. It can't be true, it just can't be!

Don't let the fact that this book is in the "Young Adult" section throw you. This is a great urban fanta
WELL. WELL. SO MUCH TO SAY. To start, my rating is 3.5, and I will say I really enjoyed this book... but I did also have quite a few issues with it.. let's discuss!

Supernatural/Paranormal is not my genre. It's not that I CAN'T enjoy them, it's that I have a lot of troubles enjoying them, so when I pick one up it has to be mind blowingly great for me to get into it or else I just struggle, flail, and fail. Keeping this in mind, this is my City of Bones story:

I received this book during Christmas
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. I know better.
Recommended to Reader-ramble by: My self in a moment of sheer stupidity.
Why, oh why did I waste such valuable reading time finishing this? Because, apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I will warn you ahead of time, this review may contain spoilers!!! I'm not sure yet because I don't really care enough to plan this out. This will mostly be whining, ranting, and general complaining. Remember, I warned you.

Before I dive into this review, I will tell you that I've heard the Cassandra Clare plagiarized arguments, and that this book is basically a reworked fan fictio
Last year, I readClockwork Angelby Cassandra Clare. It was okay, nothing special, yet it seemed to be a real darling in the YA world. I’d be hanging out in the YA section at bookshops and seeing girls squealing aboutThe Mortal Instruments, I’d buy books similar toTMIorThe Infernal Devices, and the clerk would tell me I should check Ms. Clare’s books out too… So eventually, I got around to readingCity of Bones, the first in the series.

I really didn’t enjoy it.

It starts out strong enough, graduall
I read this one while taking a break from school books and papers, and I needed some mindless but entertaining brain rot. Therein lies the appeal of this novel.

If you've even dipped a pinkie toe in the online Harry Potter fandom, you've probably heard of the author (if not, just employ some google-fu and you find everything you need). The buzz generated by Clare's fandom notoriety probably was a great boon for this book, and I admit it's the only reason I read it. Although it's hard not to have
Zero vi Britannia
New Review
"This is going to suck so hard."
-Clary Fray, City of Bones
(Did she read CoB too?)

"Did three months mean nothing? Did you flip a switch and erase me from your memories?"
-Clair Edwards, Degrassi
(Funny and how I imagine Clary would react to Jace.)

"Do you think that when Michelangelo was painting the Sistine Chapel, he just dipped his dick in a bucket of paint, slapped it around a few times, and said 'There, I'm done'?"
-DevanBlair, Order of the Phoenix movie review

No, he did not. That is
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Rich, vivid, entrancing. City of Bones is all those things and more. As I read this book, I felt that sense of childhood joy that I remembered from reading C.S. Lewis' Narnia series and Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, and the many fairy tales and legends growing up. I found the world-building in this series without fault. I have to give it to Cassandra Clare for creating this book. It was a fantastic concept that kept me enthralled to the last page.

City of Bones is a fantasy adventure in al
UPDATE as of 7/15/12

or is it?

Simon Lewis has been cast. ^^

Who's the dude?

Robert Sheehan. Don't look at me, I don't know him. Or do you know him? Good for you.

Personally, I don't give a flying, stinking stool anymore. And I think, this is my last update ever. Unless of course somebody dies or the movie is moved again to another year. But yeah, the film is set to be released on Aug 2014. Pray to the gods they stick to that or I'll send them a stink that will blow their heads off.

Mikee Andrea Quiambao
This series really surprised me. Now I know why everybody has been raving about Cassandra Clare and her Shadow World. It's absolutely amazing. I used to complain and wonder why Cassandra never really wrote anything that didn't have Shadowhunters in them, but now I understand why she loves to keep building and adding to this creation of hers. The Shadow World is just so vast and never-ending, and I can't wait to see more of the Shadowhunters and their world.

City of Bones, itself, was a great star
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
5 stars!!

I’ve been in a glass case of emotions ever since I finished this book and movie. I fell in love with the well-developed characters, vivid and enthralling action scenes, the clever dialogue and swoon-worthy romance. Reading Clary’s journey about finding herself and discovering an entire new world was exhilarating and completely EPIC! Though it seems to garner extremely mixed reviews, to me this urban fantasy story maintained a perfect balance between adventure, comedy, and romance – a to
⇠ ⇢* Sophie

I don't think I have ever fallen in love with a book this much and I'm starting to think that Cassandra Clare really has powers because this book was extremely good!!! I don't even know where to start and I don't think there was a single part of this book where I didn't told myself: "am I dreaming?" cause it was so nicely written, every single thing on it was creative, unique and different in a good way, 100% of the time I needed to keep reading and the main characteristic I enjoyed ab
The writing was weak and inconsistent. It felt like a writing stage you hit in your teens when you've just read books by great authors and want to experiment with their writing and style. We all go through those periods, any sort of writer, where we think the punch to Hemingway is just too brilliant and find ourselves replicating his more obvious style points. For me, City of Bones read like a book written by someone who did not have a voice of her own. I felt like there might have been some sor ...more
  • The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
  • Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
  • Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

147 trivia questions
78 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”