City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  696,935 ratings  ·  37,230 reviews
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is not...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about City of Bones, please sign up.

Nerece Havern You will honestly fall in love with this book like it will suck you in and you will never EVER regret reading this masterpiece
Katherine Definitely a teenage audience in my opinion. The characters are fairly one-dimensional, which a lot of more sophisticated audiences would not…moreDefinitely a teenage audience in my opinion. The characters are fairly one-dimensional, which a lot of more sophisticated audiences would not appreciate. A lot of detail is given toward Clary's (the protagonist's) self-consciousness and ambivalent feelings about Jace (the stereotypical chauvinistic, male romantic love interest who secretly has a "heart of gold"). Ultimately, it probably is more thought-provoking and universal than a trashy romance novel, but very clearly geared toward young teenage girls. Even for older teens it's fairly juvenile.

I read the prequel trilogy a few years ago and enjoyed them immensely, expecting to find the same satisfaction with this book. Even though the character layout and underlying themes and concepts were pretty parallel or similar, I enjoyed this book a lot less; I feel that this is probably because I simply outgrew it.

Clare's writing style is beautiful in places, however, and that may appeal to you. I enjoyed her lovely descriptions of the city lights and backdrops. It really depends on your interests.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
7th out of 8,953 books — 56,670 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Best Books Ever
45th out of 32,190 books — 126,563 voters

More lists with this book...

Choco
Longer review, in case this one gets deleted, here.

Clare's fanfic titles:

Yes, that last one says the Mortal Instruments. And yes, it was about Ron and Ginny.

--Warning: negative review--
Before you leave me comments about your love for Clare and how I need to understand this poor flawed favourite author of yours, do me a favour and check the other comments. Chances are that many others have asked or told me the same thing, and I have already responded to it.
(view spoiler)...more
Kat Kennedy
***Warning: won't contain spoilers cause I didn't get far enough to give a fuck and discover anything worth spoiling.***

Okay, so let me get this out straight. I have never NOT finished a book before. Okay, I'm lying. The History of Sexuality Volume 1 by Michel Foucault remains unfinished as does Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Why? Because they were boring.

Because, as I read them, I wanted to take a cheese grater to my skull and rub vigorously just to have something to do!

But I have never NOT fini...more
Andrea Caro
I've been deliberating for a few hours over doing a Serious Business review of City of Bones and outlining the infinite number of problems that lie within, but I decided that any critical thought that I could flesh out isn't going to be anything that you've never heard before. Therefore, I choose the low road - sarcasm and mockery.

Oh, Cassie Clare, you so crazy. I can only guess that after writing almost a million words of Harry Potter fan fiction, a bunch of people sucking your e-cock for steal...more
Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cara by: Tori
Wow. I was reading some reviews on this and people either hate or love it. I am not ashamed to say I belong to the latter. Lots of opinions means there is lots of things to say...

Ok so I was practically splitting my head open thinking of what exactly I wanted to say about this book. In the end I just decided to go with what comes to mind. So here it goes...

Clare does a superb job of drawing you in. Maybe the plot isn't completely unique but the world she created is. I kept telling myself this is...more
Tatiana
Dec 04, 2013 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage girls, fans of angsty teenage soap
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
Amanda
15 Jun '13
update again! Saw some stills for the movie, and to be honest, despite being slightly spurious in my "casting" of City of Bones, I actually think my version is much better than the movie version.

I mean, look at Isabelle, and look at Clary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isabelle is supposed to be way hotter than Clary.

And don't even get me started on Jace.

I mean, Jamie Campbell Bower was cute in a couple of his other films, but.... Jace was supposed to be..... I dunno... swoon-on-your-fe...more
Rick Riordan
Okay, so I’m far behind the curve on reading this, but I very much enjoyed my introduction to the world of nephilim, Shadowhunters and demons. Clare constructed a vivid, believable parallel world with great characters, punchy dialogue, and a winning mix of humor, pathos and action. I like her take on warlocks, vampires, and werewolves, and of course I’m a big fan or urban fantasy, where these fantastic elements mix into the regular gritty city life of New York. Clary Fray is a sympathetic protag...more
Heather
I was instantly enchanted when I first read City of Bones, and that enchantment still holds four years, and at least half a dozen re-reads later in sptite of the fact that I'm older, wiser, and should know better. I've also read countless reviews, both adoring and loathing and have come to the conclusion that this book does not garner any type of middle ground, you either love it or you hate it.

I'm glad that I get to love it. What else can I say?
[image error]

For me, this book shines, and to tho...more
Shelley
Jul 04, 2007 Shelley rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Pure and utter crap. I wish there were ways to give negative stars. I certainly want the time from my life back. I would compare its writing quality to a fanzine, except that comparison wouldn't be fair to fanzines. But I swear to God, it took every single bad fanfic writing cliche and published them. What were her publishers thinking??? Where was her editor?? It was horrible.

I would dearly love for a fanfiction author to make good and become a published writer, but I'd prefer one with talent,...more
Lina
Christina Wilder
This will probably be my longest review, but there's a lot to cover here.

What I liked:

- The action sequences were written well. The pacing in them was decent and I could visualize what was happening.
- The kiss between two characters (view spoiler) was also written well, and I was happy to see a kiss written as a kiss, and not like orgasmic sex (the kiss scene in Fallen was so over the top that it was ridiculous).
- Some of the twisty twists were decent.

What I didn...more
curious little beastie

I had to do it.
Sparrow
Sep 07, 2010 Sparrow rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ABOVE ALL ELSE, AVOID THE AUDIO
I think this book is has some kind of mental disability. I kind of don’t want to make fun of it because, you know, it’s not playing the game with a full deck of cards. But, at the same time, it does not have such a significant learning disability that it needs to sit in a separate classroom from the other stories; it just has this confluence of creepiness and then some kind of mild mental challenge. So, I kind of do want to make fun of it because, you know, you probably don't have to be this unc...more
Kira
Recommended to Joyzi by: Stephenie Meyer
Alex Pettyfer Update

***OBSCENE ALERT***

Alex Pettyfer Pictures, Images and Photos

Note: I will fucking kill the Casting Director if Alex Pettyfer, the man of my erotic dreams and fantasies*coughs* will not be cast as Jace Wayland! Seriously I don't care if he has a British accent and he already have Beastly, I am Number Four and Torment movies for 2011, I don't freaking care! He need to be Jace Wayland and Peeta Mellark! All I want in my life right now is HIM HIM HIM!!! Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!...more
Jess
Really, there's nothing very original, or satisfying in the book. She borrowed so heavily from Buffy, Harry Potter, and Star Wars that it sticks out like a sore thumb. It reads like altered fan fiction. And I love fan fiction, make no mistake, but it's not attempting to make a buck off someone else's world, either. Which is essentially what the book is. Cobbled fan fiction that has no cohesion.

I knew Clare as Cassandra Claire from Harry Potter fandom, I will admit, and that did color somewhat. B...more
Laurel

*Spoilers yeah*

I’m going to say this now so it’s out of the way.
I’ve never read the Draco Trilogy by Cassandra Claire on fanfiction.net.

I have no right to mention the plagiarism event around the Draco Trilogy in this review, because I have not read it, and so I will not go into the plagiarism event.

I know of the plagiarism, and I find it despicable, but I’m not reviewing that, I’m reviewing City of Bones.

THE CITY OF BONES REREAD WITH PALICE AND GHIRARDELLI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It started EPIC, then tapered...more
Moderatrix Lori
Aug 03, 2008 Moderatrix Lori rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes urban fantasy
Do yourself a favor and be careful reading reviews or posts that give away the ending of this book. Unfortunately, I read about the devastating twist on a message board and was sorry that I knew, sooner then I wanted to, what direction the story takes towards the end. Of course you'll have to read the next two books in the series in hopes that it's not true. It can't be true, it just can't be!

Don't let the fact that this book is in the "Young Adult" section throw you. This is a great urban fanta...more
N
Lexa
This review contains some minor spoilers.

Scroll down to see an actual review, this is just some of my shit.

Clary:

description

Hi there! Jace is hot and I'm Clary but you can call me Your Typical Mary Sue! I know, it's quite a mouthful but, well, I'm special like that. I'm just your average plain looking teenager that all the boys want to bang. I'm also really smart, so smart that I can't notice that my best friend has been in love with me for the last 10 years and that my own mother has more secrets than ev...more
Vanessa
Last year, I readClockwork Angelby Cassandra Clare. It was okay, nothing special, yet it seemed to be a real darling in the YA world. I’d be hanging out in the YA section at bookshops and seeing girls squealing aboutThe Mortal Instruments, I’d buy books similar toTMIorThe Infernal Devices, and the clerk would tell me I should check Ms. Clare’s books out too… So eventually, I got around to readingCity of Bones, the first in the series.

I really didn’t enjoy it.

It starts out strong enough, graduall...more
Ariel
Dec 04, 2013 Ariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
WELL. WELL. SO MUCH TO SAY. To start, my rating is 3.5, and I will say I really enjoyed this book... but I did also have quite a few issues with it.. let's discuss!

Supernatural/Paranormal is not my genre. It's not that I CAN'T enjoy them, it's that I have a lot of troubles enjoying them, so when I pick one up it has to be mind blowingly great for me to get into it or else I just struggle, flail, and fail. Keeping this in mind, this is my City of Bones story:

I received this book during Christmas...more
TheUnicorner
I read this one while taking a break from school books and papers, and I needed some mindless but entertaining brain rot. Therein lies the appeal of this novel.

If you've even dipped a pinkie toe in the online Harry Potter fandom, you've probably heard of the author (if not, just employ some google-fu and you find everything you need). The buzz generated by Clare's fandom notoriety probably was a great boon for this book, and I admit it's the only reason I read it. Although it's hard not to have...more
Zero vi Britannia
New Review
"This is going to suck so hard."
-Clary Fray, City of Bones
(Did she read CoB too?)

"Did three months mean nothing? Did you flip a switch and erase me from your memories?"
-Clair Edwards, Degrassi
(Funny and how I imagine Clary would react to Jace.)

"Do you think that when Michelangelo was painting the Sistine Chapel, he just dipped his dick in a bucket of paint, slapped it around a few times, and said 'There, I'm done'?"
-DevanBlair, Order of the Phoenix movie review

No, he did not. That is w...more
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. I know better.
Recommended to Reader-ramble by: My self in a moment of sheer stupidity.
Why, oh why did I waste such valuable reading time finishing this? Because, apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment.

I will warn you ahead of time, this review may contain spoilers!!! I'm not sure yet because I don't really care enough to plan this out. This will mostly be whining, ranting, and general complaining. Remember, I warned you.

Before I dive into this review, I will tell you that I've heard the Cassandra Clare plagiarized arguments, and that this book is basically a reworked fan fictio...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Rich, vivid, entrancing. City of Bones is all those things and more. As I read this book, I felt that sense of childhood joy that I remembered from reading C.S. Lewis' Narnia series and Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time, and the many fairy tales and legends growing up. I found the world-building in this series without fault. I have to give it to Cassandra Clare for creating this book. It was a fantastic concept that kept me enthralled to the last page.

City of Bones is a fantasy adventure in al...more
UPDATE as of 7/15/12
HAPPY DAY!

or is it?

Simon Lewis has been cast. ^^

Who's the dude?
Photobucket

Robert Sheehan. Don't look at me, I don't know him. Or do you know him? Good for you.

Personally, I don't give a flying, stinking stool anymore. And I think, this is my last update ever. Unless of course somebody dies or the movie is moved again to another year. But yeah, the film is set to be released on Aug 2014. Pray to the gods they stick to that or I'll send them a stink that will blow their heads off.

UPDA...more
Kaitlyn
I have heard people say great things about the Mortal Instruments series for a while now, so I decided I would check it out. Wow! They were right, this book was amazing. I loved it. I fell in love with Jace because of his sarcastic and witty humor. Clary was a very good main character, she just seemed so real. Alot of plot twists that I didn't expect...this book definitely caught my attention!

I cannot wait to pick up and read City of Ashes :)
Lucy
The writing was weak and inconsistent. It felt like a writing stage you hit in your teens when you've just read books by great authors and want to experiment with their writing and style. We all go through those periods, any sort of writer, where we think the punch to Hemingway is just too brilliant and find ourselves replicating his more obvious style points. For me, City of Bones read like a book written by someone who did not have a voice of her own. I felt like there might have been some sor...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Ugh. This was a horrible book, I haven't disliked something this much in a long time. I'm giving it two stars because I was at least compelled enough to read the whole thing.

First of all...the writing. There were WAY too many awful similes that had me rolling my eyes and snorting with distaste. I don't really care that much about writing styles...so for me to say the writing was bad really is saying something. I felt like she was making the characters do things to fit into the story, and that ha...more
Am I really the only person who can't stand this book? 17 73 2 hours, 16 min ago
Word Game starting on JACE! 42188 7052 3 hours, 4 min ago
The Mortal Instruments 1 9 8 hours, 13 min ago
Let's Talk About Plagerism One More Time 4 83 13 hours, 47 min ago
How are these books any better than Twilight? 74 244 Sep 13, 2014 09:41PM
YOUNG ADULT BOOKW...: The Mortal Instruments (series spoilers) 111 137 Sep 13, 2014 02:12PM
Bookreads :): The Mortal Instruments... 21 39 Sep 12, 2014 10:02PM
  • Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Torn (Trylle, #2)
  • Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls, #4)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • Faefever (Fever, #3)
  • Sweep: Volume 2  (Sweep, #4-6)
  • Bloody Valentine (Blue Bloods, #5.5)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilo...more
More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

147 trivia questions
85 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”
18074 likes
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.”
10715 likes