Start by marking “The Whole Truth” as Want to Read:
The Whole Truth

The Whole Truth

At the age of five, Steve Conroy saw his seven-year-old brother kidnapped from the very bedroom they shared. His brother was never found. And the guilt of his silence that night has all but destroyed Steve’s life.

Now thirty years old with a failing law practice, Steve agrees to represent convicted criminal Johnny LaSalle, an arrangement sweetened by a lucrative retainer. I
Published January 27th 2008 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Truth

Sep 19, 2011 Kasey rated it really liked it
I absolutly LOVE James Scott Bell's writing!!! He has a way of endearing you to the characters and making the story up-close and personal. His style is fresh and origanal. (I hope it can use some of his technics in some of my writing.) Bell's plot was always exciting and I had a hard time putting the book down at night. I won't say how many times I was asked the reason for my blurry eyes!!! lol
The legal system has always been confusing to me, so I loved getting a little education while reading
Janett Wawrzyniak
Jul 10, 2013 Janett Wawrzyniak rated it really liked it
Lawyer Steve Conroy held a secret in his past. As a child he didn't tell about his older brothers abduction, from a bedroom they both shared. Years later recovering from family past and the bad cards he was dealt in life, he became a lawyer. Steve works in hope for his last chance at success. Now in his path is is an underworld current of corruption. We feel for Steve when he rises from the ashes. James Scott Bell has made another contribution with this wining reality novel. I own a copy of this ...more
C.J. Darlington
Feb 14, 2015 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
Back in 2002, when young Elizabeth Smart was kidnaped out of her own bedroom window, the whole country felt the Utah family's pain. We could only imagine the guilt, anguish and complete helplessness her parents felt. But there was someone else I remember empathizing with even more: Elizabeth's younger sister, Mary Katherine. She'd been in the room when it happened. She'd waited to tell. What kind of guilt had SHE felt?

In James Scott Bell's latest legal thriller The Whole Truth we find out exactl
Sep 15, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
I am so glad I found James Scott Bell and his books. This is just the second I've read by this author, but I've finally found an author that packs a punch while being Christian!!! Praise God :)

This book focuses on Steve Conroy, who as an adult finds himself as a lawyer. During his childhood, Steve saw his brother being kidnapped when he was about 3 years old. Conroy has dealt with the guilt of doing "nothing" while his brother was being taken. A couple years after, a fire in a town a few hours
Jul 03, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed the suspense of legal dramas and on that front this book did not disappoint. However, there are areas of character and plot development which the author could have expanded on to make this a more engaging story. There are gaping holes in the relationships between certain characters that could have been further developed which would have added depth to the story.
Jill Bratcher
Dec 29, 2010 Jill Bratcher rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans, Christians, Los Angelinos
Shelves: james-scott-bell
Attorney and law teacher Jim Bell's protagonists are usually lawyers. In this one, lawyer Steve Conroy, who, at age 5, had witnessed the kidnapping of his brother from their shared bedroom now meets a man claiming to be that brother. Conroy has had his share of troubles - a father who suicided, a mother who died a few years later, surviving the foster care system and drugs - and brings a level of skepticism to this revelation by the other man. He also needs the money a fat retainer from his supp ...more
Apr 12, 2016 Carol rated it liked it
An interesting read. I like to try and find writers that I can add to my list. Bell will not be one of them.
My first James Scott Bell Book, but it won't be my last. Would give it 4.5 stars if I could.
Mar 01, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
This was a pretty suspensful book about a Los Angeles lawyer whose younger brother was kidnapped when they were both kids. The main character is still haunted by this incident years later and it seems to shape his destructive choices. Then, one day, he is surprised and shocked to get a call from jail from a guy that claims to be his older brother that was kidnapped all those years ago. The ensuing drama is a good page turner, but not brilliant literature. Overall, a good afternoon read.
Aug 27, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, scribd
Very well written, if you are familiar with David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series this reminded me of it with the sarcastic humor this story that will keep you up past 3 am listening to or reading!. Written from a Christian World view without being "Preachy".

This book is from Scribd- For a free 60 day free trial use the following referral link-
Oct 25, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
this was my first James Scott Bell and it won't be my last. the prologue did not work for me, it was so odd. the main character Steve was to have a sense of humor but it fell flat most of the time, just didn't work. the story was interesting, too much Bible for me. story execution was a little shaky and weak but still giving it 4 stars bc it was well thought out. maybe it's only a 3.5 star story but out days something that I will read another James Scott Bell.
Jun 18, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
A quicker read than my last two which was just what I needed to kick off the Saucon Church summer reading program.

This was basicly a Law & Order episode with some Christian supporting characters. I enjoyed the plot twists and there was always something in the story that had me wondering if what the main character was thinking was correct or not.
Liz Pollinger
Sep 23, 2010 Liz Pollinger rated it it was ok
This was the first book I have read by this author. I must admit I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. It is the story of a lawyer whose older brother has been kidnapped many years ago and is presumed dead. He now reappears as a member of a cult and reconnects with his brother.
Wendy Hall
Aug 06, 2011 Wendy Hall rated it liked it
This book was an interesting read, somewhat suspenseful, and engaging. I hate to think about people who use religion to control and abuse the message of Christianity, but it was a decent book none-the-less.
Staff Favorites
Steve's brother was kidnapped from their bedroom when he was five years old. Thirty years later, as an attorney, he represents a notorious criminal and discovers information that will blow his world apart.
Oct 30, 2008 Cynthia rated it liked it
I give this booke 2.5/ 3 stars. It was easy for me to get into but I just wasn't that impressed with the writting and plot. I thought the author could have done a better job developing the story.
Feb 20, 2010 John rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all of James Scott Bell's books. The Whole Truth had an interesting plot and likable characters. Kept me turning pages and didn't disappoint in the end.
Trish Boese
Jan 29, 2016 Trish Boese rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3* Interesting enough. The main character is flawed and real. (Maybe too real? He doesn't give us much to strive for.)
Ron Estrada
May 30, 2013 Ron Estrada rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The whole cult thing gave it a lovely spookiness. Bell never dissappoints.
Dec 16, 2008 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Excellent author. So far this has been my favorite of his, looking forward to reading more.
Mar 06, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I was hooked from page 1!
Larry K
just ok
Quin rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2016
loisa added it
Oct 18, 2016
Paula Shreckhise
Paula Shreckhise marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
pat macclearn
pat macclearn rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Danielle Foley
Danielle Foley marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Sandy Cathcart
Sandy Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Sarah Krening
Sarah Krening rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
  • Full Circle
  • Crossroads
  • Amber Morn (Kanner Lake Series, #4)
  • Not By Chance (A Seaport Suspense Novel, #4)
  • Mountain Top
  • Drummer In the Dark
  • The Listener: What if you could hear what God hears?
  • Twilight
  • Pascal's Wager
  • Fire of the Raging Dragon (Pacific Rim, #2)
  • Dying Declaration
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...