Start by marking “Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking” as Want to Read:
Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking

Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking

Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking is a book that simplifies, once and for all, the process of preparing fish. Organized in an easy-reference, A-Z format, Fish gives you the culinary lowdown on seventy kinds of fish and shellfish commonly found in American supermarkets and fish stores. Each entry describes how the fish is sold (fillets, steaks, whole, salted), ...more
Published January 12th 1999 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fish

Mark
Feb 27, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
Good advice on buying fish and preparing it that's usually realistic for the average city-dweller. The best part is the introductions to each type of seafood, so you can learn a bit more about cleaning and preparing it. The mussels section helped me get over my trepidations, and now we've made it three times.

The disappointment is the indexing. It's not always easy to find a new type of fish you found at the store. If the index helped you find basa or swai, then I'd give it 4 stars. Sometimes it
Jonathan
Sep 06, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
A very good guide to purchasing, preparing, and cooking fish. A fair number of these recipes appear in How To Cook Everything. This is possibly more useful as a guide to different types of fish than for the recipes. I like to cook fish very simply, but I find myself using this book as sort of an encyclopedia of fish, and it serves that purpose well. Also, the color photography is gorgeous.
Carrie
Mar 26, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I read cookbooks to get ideas, learn about foods, and also to find recipes. I find that, very often, some cookbooks are better for one than the others. This book is great for all of the above. The first part discusses various fish and styles of cooking. The recipes are organized by type of fish, which is very nice. We've enjoyed every recipe I have tried so far.
Susan Towers
May 07, 2014 Susan Towers rated it really liked it
Bittman's usual approachable no nonsense guide to cooking - in this case fish. Not too complicated, everyday type recipes as well as good advice on buying, preparing and storing fish. Some nice dinner party dishes too. This is another core book for me.
William
Jul 15, 2009 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a recent article in the New York Times, the author indicated the book is somewhat out of date.

Nevertheless, the book is packed with interesting recipes and fascinating information about fish and other seafood.
Michelle
Jun 05, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
If you have no idea how to cook fish, this is the book for you. The recipes we tried were fabulous!
Penny
May 01, 2016 Penny rated it liked it
If you're into fish you should check this book out. If you're on the fence about fish then this book could sway you. I seriously only eat salmon so it could only help me so much.
Austin Hu
Austin Hu rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Marc Williams
Marc Williams rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Jill
Feb 01, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: own_it, cookbooks
THE book on fish!
Karen Leichtnam
Karen Leichtnam rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Zakaria
Zakaria rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Pia Rahman
Pia Rahman rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Kenneth Zwaschka
Kenneth Zwaschka rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2008
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Aleksandra Varadarajan
Aleksandra Varadarajan rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Vinny
Vinny rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
J.
J. rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2008
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Becky Lavash
Becky Lavash rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Tim Winslow
Tim Winslow rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2007
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Jennifer Chudy
Jennifer Chudy rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Penny Green
Penny Green rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook
  • The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • Patricia Wells at Home in Provence: Recipes Inspired By Her Farmhouse In France
  • Simple French Food
  • The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA
MARK BITTMAN is one of the country's best-known and most widely respected food writers. His How to Cook Everything books, with one million copies in print, are a mainstay of the modern kitchen. Bittman writes for the Opinion section of New York Times on food policy and cooking, and is a columnist for the New York Times Magazine. His "The Minimalist" cooking show, based on his popular NYT column, ...more
More about Mark Bittman...