Start by marking “Don't Cry Now” as Want to Read:
Don't Cry Now

Don't Cry Now

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,721 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
"You're in danger. You and Amanda."

The warning draws Bonnie Wheeler to a place she has never been:

To the brutally slain body of her husband's ex-wife . . .

To the shattering of her perfect world by a murdered woman's secrets . . .

To a place where every truth becomes a lie—and every loved one is a stranger . . .

To a gathering darkness that threatens her innocent child—and he
Published March 1st 1996 by Avon (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Cry Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Cry Now

Sandra Bašić
Bonnie Wheeler je nastavnica koja, na prvi pogled, ima savršen život – živi u krasnoj kući sa suprugom, uspješnim televizijskim redateljem i njihovom trogodišnjom kćeri Amandom. Ali, jedne večeri, samo jednom izgovorenom rečenicom: „U opasnosti ste ti i Amanda“, to savršenstvo nestaje kao probušeni mjehur od sapunice.

Osoba koja ju je nazvala je Joan, bivša suprugova žena, koju nakon toga pronalaze mrtvu u vlastitoj kući. Tako Bonnie u nasljedstvo dobija još dvoje suprugove djece, Sama i Lauren,
Kelly
May 13, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Now that I've read (and loved!) my second book by Joy Fielding, I can officially declare myself a fan. Whispers and Lies was my first experience with this author and was among my favorite reads of 2009. Although I liked that one a teensy bit more than this one (the difference being that I found Whispers and Lies quite humorous!), I give them both a solid 5 stars. I like Ms. Fielding's writing style and look forward to reading everything else she's written.

At the beginning of Don't Cry Now, Bonni
Gabby
Dec 16, 2008 Gabby rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women's suspense lovers
Recommended to Gabby by: I'm a Joy Fielding fan.
Shelves: 2008, mystery
Bonnie Wheeler is married to Rod Wheeler; they have a daughter, Amanda, and Rod has two children with his previous wife, Joan. Bonnie enjoys her life until the day Joan calls to ask Bonnie to meet her. She wants to give Bonnie information indicating that her life and Amanda's life are in danger. Bonnie agrees to meet Joan, but when she arrives at the meeting place, she discovers Joan is dead -- shot through the heart.

As the story develops, Bonnie becomes more deeply involved in trying to figure
vorbore
I read this immediately after Na rubu ludila but it cannot measure up, imho. All higgledy-piggledy. And the end was too rushed too.
K. Daniels
Mar 06, 2014 K. Daniels rated it it was ok
Normally I am a huge Joy Fielding fan. I've read at least half a dozen of her novels, but Don't Cry Now is my least favorite and difficult to finish. I had to force myself when others may have simply put the book down and moved on. Bonnie, the main character, receives a cryptic phone call from her husband's ex-wife telling her that she and her four-year old daughter Amanda are in danger. When Bonnie reluctanly agrees to meet her to learn more, Bonnie finds her dead, a single bullet through the ...more
Janine Zachariae
Jun 20, 2014 Janine Zachariae rated it it was ok
What should I say?
I didn't like it.
I absolutly don't like the main person , Bonnie.
It just give because the end was a bit more thrilling. But all the rest wasn't good written. I read it in German, so maybe the translation was ill but it doesn't change my feelings.

To the story: Bonnie gets a call from the devored wife of her husband. She went to the meeting place and well Joan was dead.
Who is the killer and why is Bonnie and her daughter Amanda in danger?
Lori
Jan 14, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Joy Fielding is my favorite author. I Read this book first and thought it was great. A good suspense-thriller author, I have read all of her novels now.
Zvonka
Napet, pun neočekivanih saznanja o najbližoj obitelji, neizvjestan do samog kraja. Završetak težak i bolan, možda i previše za jedan krimić.
Tricia McNeil-Beckles
Awful

I did not like this book at all. It was basically filled with the thoughts of the main characters. it was such a waste of my time.
Jamie
Oct 20, 2016 Jamie rated it did not like it
I really did not like this book. It never really gained any momentum and the plot twist wasn't a twist at all because it played no part in the end of the story. I was almost finished with the book by the time anything significant happened. Disappointed because the story itself had so much potential.
Moby
Sep 26, 2016 Moby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein bereits etwas älterer Roman der Autorin, dennoch unverwechselbar spannend!
Fielding schafft es auf ihre Art immer wieder einzigartige Protagonisten zu erschaffen, mit denen man mitfiebert. Bei diesem Roman habe ich die ganze Zeit gerätselt, aber auf das Ende wäre ich nie gekommen!
Jeanne Dufresne
Sep 24, 2016 Jeanne Dufresne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you guessing till the end!!

A wonderful book! A little slow at the beginning, but quickly takes off. I was unable to put it down.
Laura Beasley
Apr 13, 2015 Laura Beasley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julie
Great mystery. Just when I thought I had it figured out the author throws in a twist. Book kept me wanting to read more!!! Bonnie is married and had a 3 year old daughter. Rob, her husband is divorced with 2 teen age children and his ex wife never recovered from the loss of their young daughter and has a drinking problem. One night Joan, the ex, calls Bonnie and wants her to meet her the next day at a house she is showing and tells Bonnie that Bonnie and her daughter are in danger. Bonnie goes ...more
Ann McIlmurray
Sep 09, 2016 Ann McIlmurray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and Suspenseful

This is the third book I've read by Joy Fielding, now one of my favorite authors. All of the books held my interest, fast paced and easy reads. Definitely an AHA moment at the conclusion. Try Don't Cry Now. You won't be sorry.
Neena
May 06, 2013 Neena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
After a long time I read Joy Fielding's book and I really liked it though ending seemed not so plausible.

Bonnie is a high school English teacher who has 4 year old daughter Amanda and two step children who come to live with her after their mother, Joan got murdered. Before being shot Joan warned Bonnie about the danger to her and Amanda's life. Lots of things happen including Bonnie's reconciliation with her estranged brother and father, another murder and finally murderer is caught.

The story i
Anne
Feb 10, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, ausgeliehen
Eines Tages bekommt Bonnie Wheeler einen Anruf von der alkoholkranken Exfrau Joan ihres Mannes. Sie und ihre kleine Tochter Amanda sei in Gefahr. Bonnie weiß nicht, was sie von diesem Anruf halten soll, macht sich dann aber doch auf den Weg zum vereinbarten Treffpunkt. Nur dass sie dort nichts mehr von Joan in Erfahrung bringen kann, denn sie findet sie nur noch tot auf. Anstatt eine Antwort auf ihre Fragen zu bekommen steht sie nun erstmal unter Mordverdacht und ihr Leben kommt ganz schön ...more
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Another suspenseful, sit on the edge of your seat novel by Fielding!

Back cover:
"Bonnie Wheeler had a picture-perfect life: a rewarding job as a schoolteacher, a happy marriage to a successful TV director, a sprawling suburban home, and Amanda, her adorable three year old daughter. She'd heard the sordid details about her husbands ex-wife Joan--the drinking, the instability. Then Joan calls her with a cryptic warning--you're in danger, you and Amanda.

But when Joan is found murdered and Bonnie is
Donna
Jan 11, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. In this book which was written about 20 years ago, Bonnie Wheeler receives a phone call one morning from her husband's ex-wife saying Bonnie and her daughter were in danger and the two needed to meet for a long talk. Bonnie, a teacher, leaves her job at lunch to meet the ex-wife at her real estate open house and she finds the woman dead of a gunshot. The two teenaged children from the first marriage come to live with Bonnie and her husband Rod. Bonnie cannot forget the warning so she ...more
Anne Marie
Jul 13, 2014 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
This book had a slow start but soon enough I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the suspense, and the twists and turns it took until the killer was revealed. The one thing that made this book unrealistic was the fact that Bonnie was a high school English teacher that never seemed to have any lesson plans to create or essays to grade. Even though this book was published in the 90's, I still found it hard to believe that when Bonnie went to work, rather than going to her classroom, she went ...more
Mackenzie
Apr 19, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries :)
Recommended to Mackenzie by: nobody
Don't Cry now is a mystery. It is about a girl named Bonnie Wheeler who marries a man who had been married previously and she thinks her life is going well. Her husband's ex-wife calls her one day and tells her that Bonnie and Amanda are in danger. That day Bonnie goes to talk to her and she is killed. Bonnie is accused of the murder and has nothing to do with it. Many weird things start happening to Bonnie, weird phone calls, and incidents the frighten her and make her distrust all of her ...more
Lanita
Feb 04, 2014 Lanita rated it liked it
This book has a good plot but the characters are lacking. Bonnie, the protagonist, does not ring true as a stable, respected teacher. People tell her she is strong, but she is not your typical strong female at all. Her paranoia, though understandable, did not make her likeable. I was eager to get the book over with to be rid of her.

Also, the many forced similes in the first half of the book reminded me of my fifth-graders wanting to include figures of speech and coming up with ridiculous compari
Sharon Joag
Aug 05, 2009 Sharon Joag rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leisure-reading
Linda
Sep 21, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
A page turning murder mystery novel, this book will have you guessing and guessing again. Bonnie recieves a call early one morning from her husband's ex-wife. She and her young daughter are in danger...can Bonnie meet her later in the day? Against her better judgement Bonnie goes to meet Joan only to find her dead. Bonnie must pull her emotions and life through a bundle of mysterious happenings only to discover she needs to make peace with her past to unravel the source of the problems in her ...more
Kate
Sep 09, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Half way through this novel I realized it was sounding more and more familiar. Soon the "light bulb" goes off ... oh yeah, it had been made into a t.v. movie which I had seen quite a long time ago. Well, no reason not to finish the book as I was quite enjoying the story. It's a good easy sitting-on-the-back-deck-in-the-sunshine, kind of book. A suspenseful family drama murder mystery with a bit of humour thrown in. Perfect!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Wife and mother Bonnie Wheeler seems to have it all--a good husband, a home and a daughter. Then she receives a disturbing call from her husband's ex-wife Joan, warning Bonnie of potential danger. When Bonnie discovers Joan lying in a pool of blood, soon it becomes terrifyingly clear that someone is out to destroy both Bonnie and her innocent child." (From Amazon)

A good suspense novel that keeps you flipping pages.
Sanaa
Jul 08, 2012 Sanaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliance! Storyline had me hooked from I picked it up. I was avoiding Joy's book for a while after the last two I found terrible but I had reserved this at my library so thought I would give it a go and I'm glad I didn't totally write Joy Fielding off my fav list.
I was guessing, anticipating and well excited as I read. I couldn't wait to find out who was the culprit was and when all was revealed I was blown away! Fab writing full of surprises.
Debbie Hancock
Aug 19, 2013 Debbie Hancock rated it really liked it
This book kept you reading from start to finish because you wanted to know what was going on. There were lots of twists and turns and you were never sure who was guilty. At one point, I figured something out early on and was a little disappointed, and also considered myself quite smart, but then the ending still came as a surprise. I would recommend this book as a good read.
Becky
Jan 31, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
It's good, but there are certainly better books by this author. The plot footprint seemed too similiar to See Jane Run and Tell Me No Secrets. I really don't like "dream squences." It seems like the last few books I've read by Fielding rely on that method for the main character to "sort" clues out. Clever once. Unimaginative to use any other time after that.
Allison
Nov 13, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
I really liked this one a lot - but I was a little disappointed that I figured out who the perp was before the ending - usually the author has me where she wants me and then turns it completely upside down! Good story, though. And there were a few things I definitely didn't suspect, so there were some surprises. Not my favorite, but still great!
Ashley
Nov 27, 2010 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book; it kept me guessing who the murderer was until the main character finally has an idea of who it might be, then at that point, it clicks in. I didn't quite like the ending of the book because of how the murderer was portrayed, but oh well. Overall, it was a good read and a page-turner once things started to unfold.
  • Toxic (Seamus Moynihan, #1)
  • Lullaby And Goodnight
  • Secret Admirer
  • The Anniversary
  • Turtle Baby (Bo Bradley, #3)
  • Skeletons
  • Bloodlines
  • Lying With Strangers
  • The Good Liar
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Cause for Alarm
  • Lovers Forever
  • The Turin Shroud Secret
  • The Book of Stolen Tales (Mesopotamian Trilogy #2)
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Der Trakt
  • After the Fall
  • My Beautiful Spy
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n
More about Joy Fielding...