Start by marking “The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)

The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson #4)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When young Carl Palister unearths a skeleton on a Devon smallholding, DS Wesley Peterson and his boss Gerry Heffernan are called in to investigate. Heffernan is convinced that the remains are those of Carl's father, a local villain who vanished from the Tradmouth area three years before. Wesley isn't so sure - he discovers evidence that suggests the skeleton is a good thou ...more
Published July 15th 2002 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Funeral Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Funeral Boat

Jan
The 4th Book in the series, I have become addicted.

DS Wesley Peterson is stationed in a village on the sea in Devon. By this time I have become familiar with all the characters, Rachel is still a whiner, thinks she is much too good to make anyone a cup of tea. Though, the boss never does ask Steve or Wesley to make tea, Rachel takes it way over the edge! I think this annoys the heck out of me.

Onto the plot. A Dane has gone missing, her brother is contacted, he comes to the UK to try and find he
Monica
4th in the series...and a good, solid read. DS Wesley Peterson, and the rest of the crime solving team, investigate the disappearance of a Danish tourist as well as a series of robberies in the area. Ellis nicely ties in some archeology...a buried body that is much older than Gerry Heffernan wants it to be. Nice to get further background story on all the returning characters. Good first book of the year. A good book if you like interwoven stories that lead you to the ending.
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 2001.

Having read some good review of Ellis' other mysteries featuring Wesley Peterson, I was initially disappointed by The Funeral Boat. The beginning is badly let down by poor dialogue, and I seriously considered abandoning the novel after the first two or three chapters. Things improve, even though unconvincing dialogue remains the novel's most serious flaw.

The story begins with the discovery of a body on a Devon farm, which soon seems to be likely
Olga Godim
I enjoyed this book as much as I’ve enjoyed all the other Wesley Peterson novels I’ve read so far. A typical British mystery, intelligent and full of old English flavor, it reminded me of Dorothy Sayers and her Peter Wimsey novels.
My first introduction to the series came from my local second-hand bookseller. “Buy Kate Ellis,” she recommended. “I never have her books for long; they’re flying off the shelves.” After I read that first book, I understand why Ellis’s books sell well. What I don’t un
LJ
First Sentence: The boy’s heart pounded rapidly as he searched for a place to hide.

Ingeborg Larsen, a visitor from Denmark, has disappeared from the bed and breakfast at which she was staying. Daniel Wexer encountered burglars in his home and left seriously wounded by a shotgun blast. Local farm laboror, Jack Palister, disappeared, leaving behind a wife and son on whose property has now been found a skeleton. Rather than being that of Jack, it is a thousand-year-old Viking in a funeral boat. The
Janet Gogerty
Recommended by a friend, this is the first of Kate Ellis' books I have read and I don't think it matters not starting with the first, though I would like to read others in the series.
I enjoyed the complex plots a millennium apart, with surprises along the way. The novel is well fleshed out with the police officers having real families at home and the characters all having dilemmas not vital to the plot, but of interest to us.
I did not guess the several endings to the plots.
David Harding
Came to this after reading The Shadow Collector.

I don't think i will be returning, pressed on to it's end despite so many cliched characters and my loss of interest in their lives and relationships.

Why was it necessary for "fictional" towns of Tradmouth,Queenswear,Morbay and for goodness sake Bloxham....yet refer to Plymouth and Redditch without disguise...couldn't help feel I was being patronised.

On the whole the number was up a little too early.
Mary
Another interesting addition to this quaintly written mystery series featuring DS Wesley Peterson - full time policeman, part time archeology buff. I really like the way the author fuses mysteries from the past with crimes from the present day. This one features the Vikings. Recommended for fans of cozy mysteries.
Gary Van Cott
3.5 Stars. I thought this book was a bit better than the last two. I liked how the author had several of the mysteries resolved in the middle of the book instead of waiting for the end for everything. It seems more realistic.
Vivienne

Another well-written, intriguing mystery featuring Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson and his colleagues of the Tradmouth CID. A cluster of cases demand their attention including a number of local armed robberies and a missing Danish tourist.

The historical element involves the unearthing of a skeleton that at first is suspected to be of a local baddie, who'd gone missing a few years before. However, it is actually 1,000 years old and appears to be buried with the remains of a boat suggesting a V
Kirsty Darbyshire

Less overt tie ins between the modern day murder investigated by Wesley Peterson and the archaeological story investigated by his wife Pamela together with his friend Neil make this a more plausible book than the earlier ones I've read. That might be because I skipped some of the historical bits because I've found them too much (plotwise) in the other books though.

Fun reads all the same.

lytteltonwitch
I read this book straight after the first in the series and thoroughly enjoyed the book. Again I love the historial match with the modern crime. My only gripe is that Wesley has only been in the Tradmouth area for less than a year and his wife has managed to not only have a baby but it is in a pushchair and on solid food. The first book was all about her problems in failing to fall pregnant.
Dianne
A good English procedural detective novel linked to a historical theme. In this novel a Viking grave is discovered at the same time as a Danish visitor to Devon goes missing. The interweaving of the historical plot with the modern crime story is done skilfully.
Windy
Another installment in the Wesley Peterson series. As with others, there is a historical story running alongside the main one, with the two stories having similarities. I like this mix.
I also like the personal stories of the police team.
Dilys
Kate Ellis is a favourite of mine her crime novels have plenty of twists & turns & you never quite know how they are going to end. The funeral boat is set in the West Country with an ancient twist with Vikings which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Manda Graham
A good murder mystery, though I don't think murder mystery is really my thing, all a bit far fetched, not that the sci-fi books I have enjoyed are true to life. Not sure really, clever, well researched but not my thing.
Katie
This was an easy book to relax with and I enjoyed solving the mysteries as the story progressed. I have read all of the Wesley Peterson novels up to this one and am yet to be disappointed. A decent book for a rainy afternoon!
Karren
I enjoy reading this Wesley Peterson series of books. It is clever that the archeological find is somewhat related to the present day crime. Good plot and it kept me interested all the way through with a lot of things happening.
Trawets
A DS Wesley Peterson story by Kate Ellis.As usual we have an archeological story running alongside a modern day who-dunnit.
A nice easy read, not too challenging, but with enough red herrings to keep me interested.
Wilde Sky
In Devon (England) a body is discovered and a Danish tourist disappears.

I found the dialogue and writing style to be laboured (as though the work needed to be edited) and the story drifted too much for me.
Emma
Although a short read, this took me a while as has readers block. I think usually I would have enjoyed this more but read so many so similar lately that got a bit bored.
Roshni
A very quick read, nothing special, but still enjoyable. There are just too many coincidences and I lost track of the many witnesses that they interviewed.
Mel
Another great West Country mystery. Wesley and Neil are interesting characters and the story holds together quite well.
Jean
Cut above average thriller. I particularly enjoyed the subplot about a Viking boat burial.
Particle_Person
Not horrible, but not great either. I don't think I'll read any more in this series.
Jennifer Lee-Franks
Jennifer Lee-Franks is currently reading it
May 28, 2015
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Girl 4
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew, #17)
  • The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #1)
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Darkness at Pemberley
  • Saplings
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
  • The Counterfeit Guest
  • Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II, #5)
  • The House of Dolls (Pieter Vos, #1)
  • Do or Die (Inspector Green Mystery, #1)
  • The Origin of Evil
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6)
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...

Wesley Peterson (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • A Painted Doom (Wesley Peterson, #6)
  • The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)
  • The Plague Maiden (Wesley Peterson, #8)
  • A Cursed Inheritance (Wesley Peterson, #9)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)
  • The Shining Skull (Wesley Peterson, #11)
The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1) The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2) An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3) The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5) The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)