Crane (5 Ancestors, #4)

Crane (Five Ancestors #4)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,090 ratings  ·  62 reviews
For the past 12 years, Hok, a crane-style Kung Fu master, has hidden the fact that she is a girl. Now her rogue brother, Ying, and his army have placed a huge price on her head. Fortunately, she manages to make it to Keifeng where she finds her mother and a round-eye with the very funny name of Charles.
Published February 27th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crane

Paula Howard
Poor Hok. Life has been extremely hard for her, yes her, since the destruction of her Temple. Hok was admitted to the Temple to train as a boy as girls were not allowed. The Grandmaster was the only one who knew Hok's true identity. He allowed her presence as that was the only way to protect her life.

Hok means Crane. That was the Kung Fu in which she was trained. She was separated from her brothers, found some of them only to be separated again. Drugged with Dream Powder and finally escapes. She...more
Angel Cortes
the book is about a little girl name hok. she was a little girl at the beginning of her life. but then she had to be changed just like china. china was taking her mom away and her mom had to turn her daughter into a boy so that she could practice marcial arts. but the temple was only for boys and the master accepted her only because he showed sympathy for her. but soon after that she was very good at marcial rts and she left the temple and left to find her mother. but she was stoped in the middl...more
Gloria
Okay, I guess I should comment on this series, as I have just blustered through the four currently available books in this seven book series: It's not really deep, but it is very engaging. And there are many twists that develop as the series moves along, which is, perhaps, why _Crane_ (number four) receives higher marks than the others.

Details regarding the actual movements of martial arts are quite good (although for me, a bit much---I just want to know what else is going to happen), and quite...more
Natalie
Anna Francesca
This is another book in the five ancestors series that has interesting plot development but which doesn't stand alone. (If I could, I would give it 3 1/2 stars, but this site doesn't allow for halves). The end clearly is an opening to the next book in the series as the fates of most of the main characters are up in the air. This is an active book with an intelligent female protagonist. However, some parts of the story were so dark and violent that it took me longer to get through this one than t...more
Patricia Kaniasty
This is book #4 in the "Five Ancestors" series and by far the best so far. It's exciting from start to finish. I loved learning all about Hok and how wonderful she is. Alot of fighting in this one.
VeeDawn
This is a kids series, but I am really enjoying it. This book was the best of all so far. Hok is a girl, this fact is a big surprise to most of the brothers, but she is an amazing fighter using her Crane style attack. She has some very intense battles and helps Ying (her brother responsible for destroying their temple home) escape from prison! Interesting plot development! She is a great character. One thing I was not happy about--Seh (Snake) is blinded in this book. I really like his character...more
Jeph
Of all the books in the series, Crane seems to get inside the head of it's focal character the best. Each book tells the story from a different perspective of one of the main characters, and Hok, the young female Crane stylist tells the story the best. Crane introduces Cheung, the Leopard stylist, Bing, Hok's mother and Charles, a foreign boy who is a crack-shot with pistols.

Hok's outsider perspective, being forced to live as a man adds a nice touch to the ever-present charms of the series and...more
Anthony Lin
Dayna Smith
The fourth installment in The Five Ancestors series follows the exploits of Hok, the crane. Hok, who has always had to pretend to be a boy, is enjoying her freedom to dress as a girl. She is briefly reunited with her brothers Fu, Malao, and Seh; but then Malao and Fu are captured by their enemies and Seh is injured. First Hok must help Seh and then they must find a way to rescue Fu and Malao. Can they succeed? Who are their friends? Who is the enemy? This wonderful adventure continues. Boys will...more
Lindsay
This is definetly the best of the whole series so far. They get better as they go along!The best thing is now I know a bunch of Cantonese!!

LaoShu: Rat
Xie: Scorpion
Bing: Ice
Tonglong: Mantis
NGung: Centipede

That was all from memory!
07ChaseS
I liked this book more than the other ones, i think it was because the book was longer. I liked how it kept going and going, but then it ended it stunk i loved the book so much. I really like this author because he always has something to bring to the table to make him better as an author. I like this book because of how it tells what hok did any pretty much only what hok did during the story he is a really good author like i said before i really like him i look forward to reading the later on b...more
Stephanie
Loved the Crane book 4 of Jeff Stones, The Five Ancestors trilogy.
In this lovely book we find out that Crane is actually a young women trying to find her lost brother's. Fu, Maloe and Seh but she reuintes with her Mother and younger sister along the way and finds new friends. She does come across Seh along the way and many twist and turns happens. More fightening and more secrets are in this book, it'll keep you guessing till the end.
Can't wait to read book 5.
Dylan
Drugged and can't remember a thing is the way this book starts out. It did not make sense at first but when I kept reading everyting Hok was doing made more sense. In this book she encounters new friends and more or less new enemies. She is reunited with her brothers and find her long lost brother Long. Marlo and Fu are okay but Seh is blind. The other four books fit togehter with this one. This book is alot like the movie Kung Fu Panda.
Sara Balthazor
I like the way these books build on each other, starting at different points in the story. However, there's a lot of amazing coincidence and I sort of feel like the voices aren't real - the 3yo in the beginning was extremely wise. The dialog is stilted. In a way, it adds to the mystery of the books. In a way, it hurts them.
Colin
another book in the series that doestn seem like it can get any better. However this book is full of more suspence and much less action for example for those math lovers out there

Suspence and drama > Action and fights :) isnt math fun?
Cassandra
It was an amazing book! It revealed all about Hok's past and her realtionships to her mother. She apparently has a good family. She is a logical person and has two people crushing on her. I recommend this book if you're into kung-fu and a girl.
Rob
Awesome action adventure series for kids who love Kung Fu and martial arts. (Kids are defined as kids or adults who have a hard time remembering to act like adults...like me.) Fun and full of action, Crane is the best of the series so far.
06ZachC
there are a lot of shockers in this book. Some great secrets come out and every thing is revealed. I thought that this book was the best one yet I guess that there could have been some better things in it but the whole book was great
Tori
this book i would have to say was my favorit! i love the mistory and action i would recomed it to evry one!!! i loved it it keeps you wondering and yiou fell like you are part of the book it comes to life in your head!!
Parker
I liked this book and and the other books before in the series. It's exiting and I finished it in two nights! I found it interesting Hok was a girl all this time and the only brother that knew as Seh.
Laurel
This volume was probably my favorite of the five so far. It also prompted more conversation from my friend and I. We talked for hours, and predicted so many different theories for this book and the next.
Ruben Ortiz
This book talks a lot about no hiding who you are. Just like the last one this one was also great I already know when I finish the series I will miss exploring the new adventure of these books.
Erika
Jun 20, 2007 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes martial arts
The fourth book in the Five Ancestors series - it is getting a little difficult to keep track of where everyone is which is why it only gets four stars. Waiting for the next one in the series.
Tyler Sibold
A girl named Hok was sent to china for marcial arts. She fought a lot. She went into a temple to fight and she won but she was badly hurt. I likes this book and I really enjoyed it.
Bruce
This is adolescent reading but I enjoyed the story line (and the simplicity of the reading).

I've read the series (waiting on book 7, Dragon) and have enjoyed them all.
Allison
Hok is my favourite character so far, maybe it's because I'm a girl or something but she's amazing and I wish I had her skills! She's so compassionate and so smart with herbs!
San
Girl power! Hok was drugged after her escape from Ying's attack on temple. But she manages to escape again and fights to save her brothers and an unexpected enemy....
Avinashr
I thought this view was the most interesting of all of the books because Hok was a girl. I was also really surprised at the end of the book. This was a great book.
Dakota Thompson
Crane is the 4th book in the same series as Tiger, Monkey, Snake, Mouse, Eagle, and Dragon. It was really good but the didn't have as big of a conclusion as Snake did.
  • Robin Hood (Disney's Classic Storybook)
  • The Absolute (Animorphs, #51)
  • Dragon Castle
  • Fruits Basket: The Complete Collection
  • The Way of the Sword (Young Samurai, #2)
Jeff Stone is the author of the hugely successful Five Ancestors series. When that series concluded, he wanted to do something different than another tale set in seventeenth-century China. However, he was reluctant to completely let go of kung fu or the characters he had grown to love. So he created an opportunity to update them to his own contemporary life. That would be his new trilogy--The Five...more
More about Jeff Stone...
Tiger (Five Ancestors, #1) Monkey (Five Ancestors, #2) Snake (Five Ancestors, #3) Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5) Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6)