Start by marking “Start Late, Finish Rich: A No-Fail Plan for Achieving Financial Freedom at Any Age” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,024 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
David Bach has a plan to help you live and finish rich—no matter where you start

So you feel like you’ve started late?

You are not alone.

What if I told you that right now as you flip through this book, 70% of the people in the store with you are living paycheck to paycheck?

What if I told you that the man browsing the aisle to your left owes more than $8,000 in credit card d
Published January 2nd 2007 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Start Late, Finish Rich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Late, Finish Rich

Peter
Jul 04, 2016 Peter rated it it was ok
Shelves: financial
It is important when reading any financial "how-to" book to fully understand the author's intentions.... what is their goal? To help you or themselves. This book is a mixed bag in that regard. As other reviews have pointed out, David Bach's programs are not so much about making you money, but enriching his own fortune.

That being said, this book can be read judiciously and you can gleen some useful bits of information in his book, including his emphasis on saving now for retirement, even if you
Marjorie Turner
Oct 11, 2014 Marjorie Turner rated it liked it
Popular author & speaker. Several of his recommendations were great - cut out what he calls the "latte" factor - a lot of those non-essential expenditures that we can easily live without (and put into savings), and pay yourself first (pre-tax 401K plans). I also liked that he says we should stop beating ourselves up for where we are - just do something about it now. And he also highly recommends giving (financially and with out time), as well as living a life of joy-don't put off being happy ...more
Mamie Smith
Jul 19, 2013 Mamie Smith rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon "Start Late, Finish Rich" by David Bach as I was searching for antiques in Gatlinburg, TN last week. As I flipped through shelves of books, it caught my eye. When it was presented to the clerk for purchase (which was three dollars), he remarked, "If this works for you, bring back and I will give you ten dollars for it."

David tackles many areas: control spending, credit card debt, renting instead of purchasing, investment and personal development. I was delighted at his thoroughne
Tony Bird
Aug 23, 2015 Tony Bird rated it really liked it
When I first graduated college, my grandfather handed me a stack of books on finance and investing. I read them all, but I was married at the time and it was difficult to get my wife on board with an idea like "Let's try not blowing all of our money." Years later I got divorced, which wiped my savings, and I had to start with a clean slate. Which brings me to the point at which I decided to pick up this book.

I was looking through the personal finance section of the bookstore, and the title caugh
gina
Oct 03, 2011 gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, finance
The guy who read this... poor guy. He actually sighs in boredom and frustration when reading out the incredibly dull lists of numbers and financial organizations. Couldn't there have been a way to get this online? And just have the man say "for the lists of xyz#s go online to..." etc. Hearing him sigh was pretty hard to handle. I felt bad for the guy. And of course, no one actually caught his sighs because who would voluntary listen to the boring lists he was reading.

Okay, other than that there
D
Apr 26, 2014 D rated it liked it
This book has some interesting ideas about finances - most of which I totally agree with. The major sections of the book deal with spending less, saving more, making more and giving more - all worthy financial goals. My main problem with the book was that the edition I read came out 2004 and, in light of the Great Recession, that began in 2008, many of Back's invest ideas seem dated and even right down dangerous from a financial view point. This is especially true of information presented in the ...more
Christine
Aug 07, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
My Mom lent me this book and I really enjoyed reading it. I love reading financial books and ways to save money and his ideas were very helpful. Unfortunately I am good for about a month and then slip back into my money spending ways. So, maybe I need to buy and read a financial book every month, but then the whole buying thing would defeat the purpose....

My favorite part of this book (or at least the one I remember) is the "Double Latte Factor." His idea is that anyone can be a millionaire and
Carrie Rose
Mar 18, 2014 Carrie Rose rated it did not like it
This is a very disappointing book. David Bach has written some other books that I have been pleased with, and he usually gives mostly solid, reputable advice. This book was quite a departure from that style. I think the problem was the topic of the book! Bach usually suggests starting young with small amounts and letting the power of compounding work for you. Of course, if you start late, that strategy isn't very useful. So this book is full of get-rich-quick schemes that are wildly risky, becau ...more
Anthony McDowell
Aug 12, 2015 Anthony McDowell rated it really liked it
Wonderful book. Most of the content is the same as in the Automatic Millionaire; I have read reviews where some people were not happy about getting a refresher on the Latte Factor, Paying Yourself First, and tithing, but I believe seeing the information again is positive. For one, not everyone has read the Automatic Millionaire, so it is important to include those points, and two when learning, redundancy more often than not helps with memory. The new concept in this book is basically, in additi ...more
Miranda
Nov 25, 2011 Miranda rated it really liked it
I've liked all of David Bach's books, but really enjoyed this one. I'm probably too young to be the intended audiance for this book, but I figured if I'm young and read it, perhaps I'll get even richer! Very easy to read with lots of great ideas. I've already implemented some of them in my life!
Amy Johnson
Aug 16, 2013 Amy Johnson rated it really liked it
The valuable part of this book that I haven't seen in other similar books is the argument for saving and paying down debt _simultaneously_, especially if you're "starting late." It will also make you feel better about starting late.
Liz
Feb 03, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Read with caution. But is worth the read if you have not made a plan for your future and want a starting point.

Hindsight shows that the real estate market is a lot trickier than the author's enthusiasm lets it seem to be. But in his defense, he does put caution notes into the text.

I know that in reality finding the time to fix homes and get good tenants is not as easy as he has had the experience to have had. I do like that he points out how close one can usually invest to their own home. I wis
Dawnetta
Aug 18, 2010 Dawnetta rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This was my favorite of David Bach's books that I've read. It covered all of his basic money principles plus he added more details on retirement and real estate. I really enjoyed this book.
Daren Doucet
Jul 30, 2011 Daren Doucet rated it really liked it
Some good advice, on financial planning. Even starting in your later years, you can do allot. Instead of two cappuccinos a week, cut down to one, and save the rest for a rainy day!
Cam
Nov 06, 2009 Cam rated it it was amazing
A good, clear, no-nonsense approach to common-sense personal finance. Ahhh, it was nice to read. No complex schemes, no secretive stock analysis, just useful info for the beginner.
Feb 17, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
I am going to read this book because at first glance it looks better than his others. Looks like there might be more topics for todays (2011) folks
Gina
Jan 05, 2010 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: listened
This book had really good information for people that are getting a late start to saving for retirement. Some of the information is a rehash from several of Bach's other books, and some irritatingly enough still refers to 30, 40 or 50 year timelines. The first 2 discs did this and considering the book is called "Start Late" I got really annoyed. But not enough to quit listening to the book.

As I said there is a lot of good information for people in their 40s, 50s or older to use to increase the
Cheree
Apr 25, 2011 Cheree rated it really liked it
This book contains a lot of good information and advice--especially for those of us who are approaching retirement and realize that we didn't start nearly early enough. Much of the information Bach provides isn't exactly new, but if we were all doing it, then we wouldn't be buying his books, now would we?

Start Late, Finish Rich is an expanded version of The Automatic Millionaire geared toward us older folks. It isn't as quick a read because there is a lot more to it. I would say that at this po
Juergen John Roscher
If I could I would have given this book 2.5 stars.

I try to read a couple of financial books each year so when I saw this book about starting late to saving and invest for retirement I decided to give it a read.

As the title suggests, Bach’s book is targeted for middle-aged adults who have not started financially preparing for retirement. He provides some good recommendations in the first three sections of the book on taking action immediately by saving more by eliminating wasteful money habits s
Andrew Mutch
Jul 06, 2013 Andrew Mutch rated it it was ok
I'm conflicted about this book. It has a lot of good advice for the target audience - people who got a late start in life towards saving for retirement. But all of that good advice is undone by the chapters on owning real estate. Written in 2005 during the run up of the real estate bubble, Bach fills readers with visions of getting rich buying a house with little or nothing down, watching the value skyrocket, selling for a massive profit and repeating the process over again. Or using one's home ...more
Denise
Jan 21, 2016 Denise rated it it was amazing
Great ideas on how to unlock the wealthy retirement potential for those in their 50s and 60s and beyond. Terrific proof that entrepreneurialism is the SURE way to build wealth ... because of the high limit of IRA contribution limits for business owners PLUS the ability to stop trading time for money. Highly recommend this read ... even for those under 40 who can help their parents change their financial future through their learning.
Jen
Jan 03, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
This is a good basic primer for someone looking to get in shape financially. And though I found some of the advice a little TOO basic (I think everyone knows they shouldn't carry balances on their credit cards...), there is lots of practical advice and explanations that left me feeling equipped to actually start investing. Plus his explanation of why you should never wait to pay off all your debts before starting to invest is compelling and well written.

I like the optimistic tone here, too; it w
TCB
May 23, 2014 TCB rated it really liked it
common sense at its finest. but we all know common sense "isn't" so common. the approaches that David explains in this book really take some discipline; and if you are married. it takes a mental lobotomy to at lease one of the partners, since we tend to partner with our financial opposite. I feel this is a great book for anyone 30 and up..
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 Aasim Waheed rated it it was amazing
This book turned out to be surprisingly useful and well written. Actually this is probably one of the best personal finance books I've ever read. Even though it's meant for people who start late in trying to get rich, there is nothing that says early-starters can't use the same techniques.

Good book, my rating: 9/10.
Lee Wochner
Feb 08, 2016 Lee Wochner rated it liked it
If you need encouragement to stop despairing and get started, this is the book for you. Otherwise, you'll find: some useful sections, some suspect advice (especially given what has transpired in the 10 years since it was written), and a lot of padding.
Melissa
Nov 02, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
This book needs to be updated. Some of the advice, particularly about real estate, pre-dates the housing crash. I would have liked to hear the author's advice now on that topic.
Greg Webb
Aug 24, 2015 Greg Webb rated it liked it
Shelves: financial
Nothing groundbreaking here. The only difference, really, between this and standard personal finance fare is the suggestion to save and pay debt simultaneously, rather than consecutively.

Though, it was a bit presumptuous to assume we were all raking in salaries large enough to spend $300+ per month on our 'latte factor' and, in turn, could save that much by cutting them out. $300 is what I spend on my monthly grocery budget!
Catharine
Nov 04, 2008 Catharine rated it it was ok
I just took this off my currently reading shelf because I don't think I'll ever finish it. The first half of the book had some good advice, but I got bored when the chapters offered advice that didn't apply to me. A lot of it is just common sense. Some advice might be eye opening to some people, such as finding your "latte factor" or what it is you're spending your money on on a regular basis that is frivolous and unnecessary and you can easily do without to save money to invest in other areas o ...more
Robin Helm
Feb 16, 2014 Robin Helm rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
Outdated, more relevant prior to the crash of 2008, common sensical for things like the latte factor.
Glen
Sep 23, 2012 Glen rated it liked it
I just finished the books on tape version which did help take my mind off of my long commute. This book is a bit dated but does provide some useful information and reinforces the basic principles of personal finance and investing. I would recommend not reading it from cover to cover but there is value in flipping through the sections that interest you....investment diversification, the magic of compounding interest, paying down your mortgage early, buying an investment property, etc. Of course, ...more
  • Conversations with Millionaires: What Millionaires Do to Get Rich, That You Never Learned about in School!
  • Mach II With Your Hair On Fire: The Art of Vision & Self Motivation
  • Dare to Win
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen
  • The Challenge to Succeed
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
  • All You Can Do Is All You Can Do But All You Can Do Is Enough!
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The ABC's of Writing Winning Business Plans: How to Prepare a Business Plan That Others Will Want to Read - And Invest in
  • Suddenly Frugal: How to Live Happier & Healthier for Less
  • Rich Dad's Rich Kid, Smart Kid: Giving Your Children a Financial Headstart
  • The 21 Success Secrets of Self-Made Millionaires: How to Achieve Financial Independence Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun
  • Women Have All the Power...Too Bad They Don't Know It: Secrets Every Man's Daughter Should Know