Start by marking “The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur” as Want to Read:
The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur

The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Former United States Marine Brian Steidle served for six months in Darfur as an unarmed military observer for the African Union. There he witnessed first-hand the ongoing genocide, and documented every day of his experience using email, audio journals, notebook after notebook and nearly 1,000 photographs. Gretchen Steidle Wallace, his sister, who wrote this book with Brian ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by PublicAffairs (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Came on Horseback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Came on Horseback

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip GourevitchShake Hands with the Devil by Roméo DallaireLeft to Tell by Immaculee IlibagizaMachete Season by Jean HatzfeldLife Laid Bare by Jean Hatzfeld
Books on Rwanda genocide
18th out of 58 books — 56 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingWorld War Z by Max BrooksHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsFor Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) by Shane K.P. O'Neill
High Body Counts
281st out of 288 books — 217 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
"The Devil Came on Horseback" gets two stars for being a first-person account of genocide, told honestly and with the benefit of the military expertise that enabled its author to see through many of the egregious lies presented by the Sudanese government, organizer of Sudan's clandestine exterminations. It also gets a bonus star for being the best book available on Darfur, though this is true largely because, well, it's the only one.

And it's a lucky thing, too, because it doesn't earn stars any
Judy
I got a copy of this book because I did an interview with Brian Steidle, co-author, who served as an unarmed miliary observer in Darfur. Till that point, the name "Darfur" was not much more than a bumper sticker cause, though I knew the situation there was dire. Steidle, who co-wrote this book with his sister, Gretchen Steidle Wallace, provides gripping first-hand testimony to the ongoing horrors of the genocide at the hands of the Arab militias in Sudan against the Darfurians, who are also Arab ...more
Yousif Makram
This book describes the genocide that was happening in Darfur.
I give this book 3 stars for a coupe of reasons. The first reason would be that the author was very precise about the crisis in Dafur. The author told you the most important details in most of the situations. one bad thing about the book is that the author is sometimes biased and describes the enemies as stupid. For example if the good guys do wrong he finds all the reasons that it wasn't their fault. But when the bad guys do wrong he
Irene
It was so frustrating to be there, witness what he saw and not be able to do a thing about it. It made me angry just reading about it. He repeats himself a lot but I understand why. I'm glad he wrote this book to get what he became a witness to out to the people so they may become more aware of THE TRAGIC LOSS OF HUMAN LIVES. After reading this one is unable to say it was anything other than a government sponsored genocide being ignored by the rest of the world.
Mike
The Govt. of Sudan troops are working with the Janjaweed, nomadic muslims, committing genocide against the muslim African farmer communities in Darfur. I think the book does an even better job than the movie describing the horror, red tape, frustration, and absurdities of the situation. The things happening there are frightful knowing the depths of what humanity is capable of.
Katie
This was a hard book to read in that it discusses so much violence towards innocent people, but it is very informative. It is a call to action for all of us who do nothing to end the genocide in Darfur.
Zach
The book provides an excellent first person description of the conflicts in Sudan, both in the Nuba mountains/s. Sudan and the Darfur. The author is most effective in describing the complicity of the government (ex. arming the janjaweed with Russian military hardware, refusing to fuel monitoring flights, constant claims of "rebels/bandits" as creating the need for military retaliation, "those are not my soldiers looting") Steidle's descriptions are especially effective for two reasons, he does n ...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur, by Grian and Gretchen Steidle A.
Downloaded from audible.com.
The publisher’s note described this book as follows:

The Devil Came on Horseback is an intense, vivid autobiographical report from the heart of violent Darfur and a call to action by a former American Marine
who became a military observer for the African Union. The first extensive on-the-ground account of the genocide in Sudan, it leads us through the tragic
impact of
Jen
I'm torn about rating this book a 3 or a 4. As far as ease of read, it was surely a 3 because of all the abbreviations and okay, let's admit it, my lack of depth of knowledge on the subject. Africa in general is a complicated continent, with it's several different ethnic groups, tribes, religions, expansive culture and geography and climate. Throw into that mix a concentration on one specific region in one specific country where it is hard to follow all the interworkings of several groups that a ...more
Nicole
I was really looking forward to reading this book so as to receive an honest accounting (and education) of the horrors of Darfur. I wanted to learn about the politics behind the genocide. The players. The purported solution. None of that was offered in this book. First, it was written as though the author wanted it to be an action novel: Sophomoric and cursory explanations of the conflict, but heavy on the scenes where the author is *almost* kidnapped, or *almost* threatened. I felt as though th ...more
Patty
It's inspirational to learn about people like Brian and Gretchen Steidle, who invest their time and passion in people who so desperately need it - for no other reason than it's the right thing to do. Steidle is easy to relate to, and I appreciate his style - he did not mince words or spare any details. I got this book at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. Someone said, "if you read only one book about genocide in Darfur, this is the book to read." I'm so glad I did. Thanks to Brian Steidle ...more
Dillon
A chronology of the massacres that the author reported to the African Union during a year stay in Darfur. That is pretty much it. He doesn't provide a history of the government, the janjaweed, the SLA etc (in fact the name Al Bashir is never mentioned during the book...), or the issues in Darfur. doesn't provide any history of the complacency of the west, even though he complains, rightfully so, about the west's lack of effort. Overall, it felt like he was going to write a book about no matter h ...more
Banu Altunbas
It is interesting to read the early days of Darfur conflict from a soldier who was stationed as a monitor (relatively naive in the international peacekeeping operations, though). I liked the way that the conflict was portrayed as it was unfolding, but it was also clear that he was certainly taking side in his observations against the GoS (and there is nothing wrong with it). I think it's not the easiest story to tell and he is doing pretty well in his explanations. Good reading for the insight t ...more
Trudy Pomerantz
Worth reading though it does get somewhat repetitive. The genocide in Darfur is certainly tragic, but the author's argument for armed intervention was somewhat simplistic and mostly emotional.
Ray
The author is a former U.S. marine who served for a while as an independent military observer in Sudan. The book chronicles his witnessing of the genocide taking place in Darfur and the lack of public attention given to the horrors taking place. His frustration in seeing any international pressure on the government of Sudan, or in raising people's consciousness to the atrocities is apparent. Reading the book certainly makes you appreciate life in the West.

Written about the genocide and atrocities going on in Darfur, this book outlinies them in some detail. It is a confusing subject - with many rebels and tribes and different factions of the Sudanese government, it's often hard to follow who is fighting who and where exactly all this is taking place. However, it is staggering and compelling to realize this is going on in our generation and we as an international community will have to answer for it at some point.
Dan
This is a hard book to read, dealing as it does with genocide. I almost didn't make it past the opening pages, though to be honest, I was reading it as a new father and the opening "vignette" dealt with violence against a child. I don't know that I can be objective enough to truly judge the writing, but I believe it is an important story to tell and be heard so that as many as possible are aware and can be sure what happened is not forgotten.
Rachel
It's clear that Brian Steidle is more schooled in military operations than in writing, but given that, this memoir is pretty compelling. I could definitely feel his frustration at not being able to do more to prevent the genocide he was instructed to witness. The world's indifference to what is going on in Darfur continues to alarm me...how is it that the U.S. is taking no significant action to protect the people of Darfur?
Dionne
I have done my research on the genocide on Darfur, but this really gives an in-depth look at the atrocities that happened over there. More should have been done and should be done even now. I will never be able to comprehend how some are able to commit such horrifying human rights abuses against the most innocent of society. And how others are able to sit by when evil is committed and do nothing.
Erik
It is hard to read about genocide, and the killing is not over when the book ends, but the story is rather heroic in an everyman sort of way. It is a story you feel has to be told, despite the grimness. Darfur seemed like such a rumor when it was happening due to the meek media coverage and inaction on the world's part, but this book made it real and stirred a passion for justice.
Bobby
Very good book on the genocide in Darfur. It is remarkable what the government of Sudan-in conjunction with the Janjaweed-is doing to its own people. I now have a greater appreciation-and interest-in what is occurring in that part of the world. How can a nation continue to let this genocide of a peoples continue? I highly recommend you read this book.
Jodi Robinson
author spends a year in Sudan and tells us his stories when no one else will speak up about it, basically risking his life doing so. Although sometimes slow, a great behind the scenes take on the conflict. Very disturbing (to be expected) and frustrating knowing that this is going on and the international community is doing nothing to stop it.
Regi
Heartbreaking. It is really hard to critique the writing of a book that opened my eyes to so much going on in the world. This was my first book on Darfur, and not my last. There is so much heartbreak in the book, but it compels you to follow the author and not turn your eyes away from the misery and his life changes. The book changed me.
Jenny
I think this was a great intro into what is happening in Darfur. For the most part I didn't know about what was happening there. The author is a military man, so he often saw the conflict through the lens of military strategy-which wasn't as interesting to me as maybe some more human interest stuff. But an informative, quick read overall.
Kristienne
He's certainly no writer, so don't expect a masterpiece. But, expect a searing memoir of a former marine's experience in Darfur. If you do not know of the massacre (humanitarian crisis terminology is NOT strong enough) happening in this region, this is a great introduction.
ariana
Apr 26, 2007 ariana added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Great book and documentary based on the experiences of an ex-marine living in Sudan, witnessing the genocide in Darfur, and his attempts (with no avail) to push the U.S. government and govt's of the world to stop the killings ordered by the Sudanese government.
Katherine
Very informative, first hand account of the atrosities that unfolded in Darfur. I found the book not very well written and a little drawn out. Overall, a great book for anyone wishing to learn more about the genocide in Darfur.
M
Not what I was expecting, though it was an interesting read. I haven't finished it and don't know whether I will. I guess after reading so much about Darfur, I was wary of Steidle's simplistic account of things.
Leah Coffin
I could have done without the endless reiteration of "awed Sudanese people meet their first whitey" scenes. That said, this book is important for the witness it bears to the horrors committed in Darfur.
Katie
Apr 26, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
this book opens up your eyes to the violence in Darfur, Sudan as told by someone who witnessed it. i had to do a project on Darfur and this book was a big help. WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A HEART YOU WILL CRY!!!!
  • Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  • Not On Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond
  • Darfur: The Ambiguous Genocide
  • Blood And Soil: A World History of Genocide and Extermination from Sparta to Darfur
  • Conspiracy to Murder: The Rwanda Genocide and the International Community
  • The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
  • Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey
  • War Child: A Child Soldier's Story
  • Machete Season: The Killers in Rwanda Speak
  • When Victims Become Killers: Colonialism, Nativism, and the Genocide in Rwanda
  • Voices from S-21: Terror and History in Pol Pot's Secret Prison
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full
  • The Bone Woman: A Forensic Anthropologist's Search for Truth in the Mass Graves of Rwanda, Bosnia, Croatia, and Kosovo
  • The Key to My Neighbor's House: Seeking Justice in Bosnia and Rwanda
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur
  • The Teeth May Smile but the Heart Does Not Forget: Murder and Memory in Uganda
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe