Start by marking “Lives of the Artists: Masterpieces, Messes (and What the Neighbors Thought)” as Want to Read:
Lives of the Artists: Masterpieces, Messes (and What the Neighbors Thought)

Lives of the Artists: Masterpieces, Messes (and What the Neighbors Thought)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  195 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Most people can name some famous artists and recognize their best-known works. But what's behind all that painting, drawing, and sculpting? What was Leonardo da Vinci's snack of choice while he painted Mona Lisa’s mysterious smile? Why did Georgia O'Keeffe find bones so appealing? Who called Diego Rivera "Frog-Face"? And what is it about artists that makes both their work ...more
Published October 31st 1995 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lives of the Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives of the Artists

Sarah Fresen
Dec 15, 2015 Sarah Fresen rated it liked it
Lives of the artists by Kathleen Krull is a non-fiction book filled with facts about the most famous artists you may or may not have heard about.This book is fresh,spirited and an entertaining presentation.

My opinion of this book is it's a very interesting book but I didn't like it too mush because it is more of a children's book not a twelve-year-olds book but I know that if I was younger I would definitely like and want to read this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of no
Meltha
Mar 21, 2016 Meltha rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, bio, mentionedintext, art
There is a very nice diversity of artists in here, including several women, which is no mean feat frankly, and the biographies are to the point and generally accurate. The glossary of art terms at the end was also a nice touch.

I did have two problems with the text, though. These are biographies of artists, but unless a small picture is included in the illustration of the person being discussed, there is no example given of his or her work. This seems like a pretty big oversight. I have absolutel
Elizabeth
Jan 06, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This book provides a behind the scenes tour to twenty world renowned artists. It glimpses over the art historical data and jumps right into the juicy details of their lives. For instance, did you know that Georgia O'Keeffe lived to the ripe old age of ninety-eight, and then bequeathed her ranch and many paintings to a young man less than half her age? Or, that Marc Chagall often painted in the nude? (You will never look at his paintings the same again!) This book is littered with fun facts and i ...more
Jessica Lave
Dec 23, 2015 Jessica Lave rated it really liked it
Shelves: when-i-was-a-kid
I have been looking for this book for YEARS. We had one at the school library when I was a kid and I loved it. The illustrations are awesome and the stories are great basic information for grade school aged kids. Back before the internet was the primary source of research for school reports, this was a great resource.
Morgan
Jan 23, 2013 Morgan rated it liked it
Another marvelous Lives of book. Ordered the whole series for both my libraries. A great go-to book for read aloud; however, one must censor the "controversial" parts. This particular book about the artists is extra censor-worthy as many artists were famous not only for their work, but their eccentric and non-conventional lifestyles. I really do appreciate the diversity of Krull's choices for these books and this is another great example. There were many artists I had not heard of before (Sofoni ...more
Cedric Osborn-brown
Apr 27, 2011 Cedric Osborn-brown rated it liked it
I thought this was an interesting collection of biographies. First this would not be a good book for children who know nothing of the artists the book covers, as the authors do not give much general information on the artists and more so seem to give interesting tidbits of information about the artists instead. However the trivia included is interesting and seems to provide information most people would not know about such and such artist. Also I really enjoyed how the artists portrayed included ...more
Shelby Moser
Dec 15, 2013 Shelby Moser rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261
An interesting book about 19 artists of all periods. This book is an interesting book about the artists and the obstacles they overcame and how they were treated in their period. In many cases the artists were not appreciated by people around them. For every artists, Krull provided information about how the artist was or would have been perceived by the neighbors. Despite the fact that it is a biography, the story is told in a creative and run way. The theme of the book is what the neighbors tho ...more
Kayla
Feb 19, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick, fun read that gives insight into the lives of artist. I revisited my favorite artist and learned about a few new ones. Love the illustrations.
Sher
May 28, 2010 Sher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a fabulous little book that tells about the lives of 20 famous artists. It certainly does not try to be all-encompassing, but rather gives a taste of how some artists lived. As such, it whets the appetite for more. I not only look forward to learning more about many of these artist, but also I want to see their paintings.

The artwork in this book, by Kathryn Hewitt, is nothing short of fabulous itself. She puts many of the eccentricities of each artist into a visual context that is both b
Robbi Portela
Jan 15, 2016 Robbi Portela rated it it was amazing
Loved all the interesting facts about these artists!
Christine
Jul 01, 2009 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
This is a YA book about famous artists. I picked it up because I wanted to see how someone explains artists ranging from the Rennaisance through the Modernists to a young fan. It was a good introduction to artists for a young person, and the author did not gloss over some of the more tawdry aspects of some of the artists. Good effort.

Benjamin Zapata
Jul 03, 2011 Benjamin Zapata rated it it was amazing
Another great volume in this awesome serie,this one dealing with the lives of famous artists like Dali,Da Vinci,Van Gogh,etc.Full of wonderful anecdotes(humor and tragedy) about each artist,as always,and as always,beautiful illustrations/potraits by Kathryn Hewitt.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 16, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Kathleen Krull tells intriguing details about the
lives of twenty artists of the world, including DaVinci,
Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Matisse, Chagall, O'Keeffe, Dali, and
Picasso. All of the artists come across as having lived extremely
eccentric lives.
Lara
Apr 08, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artists
This book has biographies of artists that are just a few pages long and include the kind of details kids love to know...like what their favorite foods were and surprising details about daily life. These are things that make the artist seem real to a student.
Kersten
Jul 14, 2015 Kersten rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I like her quick biographies, and the interesting little extras that she adds. Whenever I read art biographies I am always interested to see the art, and am constantly stopping to look up works of art of the internet.
Josiphine
Enjoyable but I was dismayed by the lack of impressionists (what happened to Monet, Degas, and Renoir?). There wasn't a lot of new information for me (thanks Muzzy) but I found it fun to read nonetheless.
Heather
Dec 20, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Reading level @6-7

Love this book as well, it is fun and informative, it makes you want to see and learn about the paintings and artistic works of famous artists!
Mary
Sep 30, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. The caricatures are amusing and the mini-biographies have a lot to tell. It's definitely a book you want to have around for light reading.
Sara
Writing and formatting are very good for a tween or teen reader still transitioning into longer or harder nonfiction.
Burbank Library Children's Department
Kathleen Krull is a master at nonfiction for kids and her Lives of... series is not to be missed.
Lynnette
Fun and fascinating stories, but not shy about some of the less desirable facts about the artists.
Jill
Mar 10, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: own
A good overview which can prompt further investigation of a given artist or three.
Alex
Fantastic information. The facts are quite helpful to solidify temperament types.
Claudia
Aug 05, 2009 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves:
Bought this one a while ago. Fun to thumb through.
Don Gubler
Nov 06, 2012 Don Gubler rated it really liked it
Yes, artist are people too, but maybe a bit more eccentric.
Gavin
Jan 23, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Every parent should have this book for their children
Jenifer
Jun 17, 2010 Jenifer rated it really liked it
Thanks to Sherrie for loaning me these darling books.
Nicole Marble
Sep 27, 2012 Nicole Marble rated it liked it
Brief sketches of famous and not so famous painters.
Jon
May 17, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Good info on artists I never knew much about.
Diana
Mar 02, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
Childhood favorite-- I think it really turned me on to caricature drawing.
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Van Gogh
  • Barbed Wire Baseball: How One Man Brought Hope to the Japanese Internment Camps of WWII
  • Timeless Thomas: How Thomas Edison Changed Our Lives
  • Noah Webster and His Words
  • Annie and Helen
  • I Could Do That!: Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Welcome to Addy's World · 1864: Growing Up During America's Civil War (American Girls Collection)
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington