Start by marking “Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This text takes you through a process for planning the information career of your choice. It shows how to determine what work would be most fulfilling, explores types of work available to those with an LIS-based skill set, and helps you create an action plan for moving from identifying what you want to actually doing it.
Published September 1st 2006 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Information Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Information Work

Mary-Elizabeth
This is an excellent guide! I would recommend it to anyone new to the profession, as well as to those considering a change in focus within the profession. Dority is honest and concise, using facts, stories, checklists and questions to help illustrate different career possibilities. The book covers traditional and non-traditional career paths and includes information on starting your own research business and being a consultant. A chapter on building your professional portfolio includes tips on u ...more
Mike
This was very depressing and made me despair once again for the future of my profession, and most of all made me wonder if I'm really qualified to be involved in LIS education.

(This also instantly reminded me of a really great essay by Barbara Ehrenreich in the NYT Book Review titled "Who Moved My Ability to Reason," which I think you can read at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage... even if you're not a NYT subscriber (I am, so I can't say for sure whether I would have gotten to this if I w
Rachel
This is one of my textbooks for my degree I've started this fall, for a Masters in Library and Information Science. I like it so far, it makes you think about what are your preferences as far as working and describes the different fields you can go into within the field. It is enlightening for someone who is, like me confused about what exactly they want to concentrate on.
Ruby
The best chapters of this book provided universally sound guidance for career exploration and job searching, but I felt a little let down by the aspects that were specific to librarians and information professionals. It is not so much a rethinking as a repackaging and was far less creative about the paths open for those with an LIS background than I had hoped.
Bron
Feb 14, 2013 Bron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: course
This gives a great outline to someone entering the field of Library and Information Systems, explaining what they may expect, with many descriptions of the pathways possible. The book goes into detail guiding us through how to design the ideal career for the future (but never forget things can never be fully planned and there is a need for flexibility).
This books should be a must-read for library school students, but it was a good refresher for someone a few years out of library school thinking about reinventing her career. While I picked up the book a few years ago because I thought it was all about working as a library outside of a library, it's actually a solid career guide for all librarians.
Wonderfully-written and inspiring. It really helped me to think "outside of the box" and think of my career in different ways. I am still working as a traditional librarian, but Dority's book is helping me to make my position more innovative. I highly recommend it. I've read it twice now and noticed things I really didn't the first time.
Kim
This book is great for anyone considering a career in Information Sciences or currently in the field looking to make a change. Each chapter ends with a comprehensive list of resources for further research and reading. This is a book that I will keep in my collection and most likely refer to regularly.
L
An excellent resource for job seekers with MLS degrees who want information about using their degree in ways beyond a traditional library environment. Loads of resources and suggestions for laying out a job search...will be a helpful guide in the future.
Alohatiki
Very informative with very long bibliographies about all the areas of library work. Good starting point. A pretty dense book.
This was for school and a good primer for entry-level librarians (or those who are thinking about it).
Andrew
Eased every fear and answered every question I'd had about getting my MLIS.
Courtney
Mar 28, 2008 Courtney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: library students and librarians
an excellent look at the possibilities of non-traditional librarianship
S
full of information and sources both print and electronic
Heather Kinder
Heather Kinder marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Poojabhojani
Poojabhojani marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Karlyn
Karlyn marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Cynthia C.
Cynthia C. marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Wednesday
Wednesday marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Glut: Mastering Information Through the Ages
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • Young Adult Literature: From Romance to Realism
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research
LIS Career Sourcebook: Managing and Maximizing Every Step of Your Career A Guide To Reference Books For Small And Medium Sized Libraries, 1984 1994 LIS Career Sourcebook Lis Career Sourcebook A Guide to Reference Books for Small and Medium-Sized Libraries, 1970-1982