Start by marking “Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Today, information work offers you an unprecedented number of career options. Whether you are a student, taking your first steps in librarianship, a mid-careerist planning your next best professional move, or a seasoned information professional looking for new directions and growth; this practical guide can help you sort through the options. Leading you through a process o ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Information Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Information Work

Mary-Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2010 Mary-Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, career
This is an excellent guide! I would recommend it to anyone new to the profession, as well as to those considering a change in focus within the profession. Dority is honest and concise, using facts, stories, checklists and questions to help illustrate different career possibilities. The book covers traditional and non-traditional career paths and includes information on starting your own research business and being a consultant. A chapter on building your professional portfolio includes tips on u ...more
Mike
This was very depressing and made me despair once again for the future of my profession, and most of all made me wonder if I'm really qualified to be involved in LIS education.

(This also instantly reminded me of a really great essay by Barbara Ehrenreich in the NYT Book Review titled "Who Moved My Ability to Reason," which I think you can read at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage... even if you're not a NYT subscriber (I am, so I can't say for sure whether I would have gotten to this if I w
Tamara
Jan 11, 2016 Tamara added it
Well written and good book! Helpful to think about ways to use your information skills.
Rachel
Oct 17, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
This is one of my textbooks for my degree I've started this fall, for a Masters in Library and Information Science. I like it so far, it makes you think about what are your preferences as far as working and describes the different fields you can go into within the field. It is enlightening for someone who is, like me confused about what exactly they want to concentrate on.
Ruby
Sep 07, 2012 Ruby rated it liked it
The best chapters of this book provided universally sound guidance for career exploration and job searching, but I felt a little let down by the aspects that were specific to librarians and information professionals. It is not so much a rethinking as a repackaging and was far less creative about the paths open for those with an LIS background than I had hoped.
Bron
Feb 14, 2013 Bron rated it really liked it
Shelves: course
This gives a great outline to someone entering the field of Library and Information Systems, explaining what they may expect, with many descriptions of the pathways possible. The book goes into detail guiding us through how to design the ideal career for the future (but never forget things can never be fully planned and there is a need for flexibility).
Oct 31, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This books should be a must-read for library school students, but it was a good refresher for someone a few years out of library school thinking about reinventing her career. While I picked up the book a few years ago because I thought it was all about working as a library outside of a library, it's actually a solid career guide for all librarians.
Feb 24, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Wonderfully-written and inspiring. It really helped me to think "outside of the box" and think of my career in different ways. I am still working as a traditional librarian, but Dority's book is helping me to make my position more innovative. I highly recommend it. I've read it twice now and noticed things I really didn't the first time.
Kim
Jul 01, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career-work
This book is great for anyone considering a career in Information Sciences or currently in the field looking to make a change. Each chapter ends with a comprehensive list of resources for further research and reading. This is a book that I will keep in my collection and most likely refer to regularly.
L
Dec 11, 2012 L rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for job seekers with MLS degrees who want information about using their degree in ways beyond a traditional library environment. Loads of resources and suggestions for laying out a job search...will be a helpful guide in the future.
Alohatiki
Oct 21, 2008 Alohatiki rated it really liked it
Very informative with very long bibliographies about all the areas of library work. Good starting point. A pretty dense book.
Sep 29, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, school
This was for school and a good primer for entry-level librarians (or those who are thinking about it).
Andrew
Feb 11, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lib-info-st
Eased every fear and answered every question I'd had about getting my MLIS.
Courtney
Jul 23, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: library students and librarians
an excellent look at the possibilities of non-traditional librarianship
S
Oct 08, 2008 S rated it it was amazing
full of information and sources both print and electronic
Jun 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Options!
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
San Fayle
San Fayle marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Mary L. Strife
Mary L. Strife rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Valerie Valicento
Valerie Valicento rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Sandy Williams
Sandy Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Stefanie Molinaro
Stefanie Molinaro is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
DIPAK KUMAR
DIPAK KUMAR rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
E
E marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What's the Alternative? Career Options for Librarians and Info Pros
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • Critical Library Instruction: Theories and Methods
  • Glut: Mastering Information through the Ages
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research