Start by marking “A World Apart: Women, Prison, and Life Behind Bars” as Want to Read:
A World Apart: Women, Prison, and Life Behind Bars

A World Apart: Women, Prison, and Life Behind Bars

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Life in a women's prison is full of surprises," writes Cristina Rathbone in her landmark account of life at MCI-Framingham. And so it is. After two intense court battles with prison officials, Rathbone gained unprecedented access to the otherwise invisible women of the oldest running women's prison in America.
The picture that emerges is both astounding and enraging. Women
Published June 13th 2006 by Random House Trade (first published May 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A World Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A World Apart

The Green Mile by Stephen KingDifferent Seasons featuring The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen KingThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasPapillon by Henri CharrièreThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
Prison Books
213th out of 234 books — 127 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
312th out of 387 books — 416 voters

More lists with this book...

Rae
Finding myself desperate for more when I finished the first season of Orange Is The New Black, I ordered the titular novel and this book. While Orange Is The New Black was an entertaining, informative read, it has nothing on A World Apart.

Interchanging present day narrative of inmates she has interviewed and the history of prison in Massachusetts and the broader United States, Rathbone captured my fascination in the same way Krakauer did with Under the Banner of Heaven. The transition between th
Kasandra
An enlightening look inside MCI-Framingham, the women's prison. Should be required reading for all criminal justice majors, and all politicians who want to cut funding for rehabilitation and educational programs in prisons (both men's and women's). Yes, you will find this depressing, but perhaps it will prompt you to take more of an interest in how prisoners are treated in your own state. Well-written and fair; the author isn't sugar-coating these women's lives or crimes, but she does illustrate ...more
Corey
Mar 17, 2013 Corey added it
This is a well-written book with in-depth personal looks at the lives of several women imprisoned in Massachusetts. The author weaves history of incarceration in the state (and some national information as well) through the personal accounts of women. It was also interesting to read about the author's struggles in gaining access to the prisons in order to conduct her research and how the Department of Corrections stood in her way. Overall, a very interesting and disturbing read which humanizes t ...more
Taylor Hutchcraft
Must read book for all Criminal Justice majors, gives you an insight on how women in prison is treated and how they feel while in prison!!
Kat Daley
This book dramatically opened my eyes to what life was like behind bars for women these days. This book brings the profiles of different women alive in a while new way.
Jess
Not as riveting as Orange Is The New Black, but very good. The book also had an interesting look at how corrections departments try to keep the media away.
Margie Shelton
The author documents her visits with female inmates at two federal prisons over a period of time. The stories are of life behind bars and the life that lead to life behind bars. The book is interesting, depressing, and, by the end, exhausting - with the "high school" carryings-on. The author fills in with some interesting history of women's prisons in the U.S. Discussions of education, skills, mandatory sentencing, and solitary confinement.
Jenni
compassionate, informative, sometimes hard to read. certainly deeper than Orange is the New Black and offers more insight both into the prison system in the US as well as the lives of incarcerated women. reaches the heart and the mind of the reader.
Joel
Aug 01, 2008 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: social
An incredibly interesting and heart wrenching look into the lives of incarcerated women. Are we treating female criminals correctly? Can we do something other than conventional incarceration for female convicts? Why do the crimes many women commit land them in prison? These are just a few of the questions this book raises and even tries to answer, or at least shed some light on.
Shannon
The story of the women in Framingham Prison was of course upsetting. It disturbed me greatly to learn so many mothers are behind bars and so many for non violent crime. I was saddened to learn that women with mental disabilities are not housed in medical facilities as one would expect, but often times locked in prison where they can cause harm to themselves and others.
Chelsea
Jun 27, 2009 Chelsea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in alternative stories
Surprisingly, I couldn't put this book down. I had picked it up to do some research for a project I'm thinking about starting and not only was it killer interesting but Rathbone's writing style is so seriously engaging that I caught myself wishing that I could write just like her. Her dedication to her work is inspiring and I'd read another of hers in a heart beat.
Jessica
Feb 23, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want to know about what goes on in their own criminal justice system
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this piece of non-fiction. I had to read it for a "Women and Crime" course and it really opened my eyes to the world of women's prisons, what they go through and the outrageous policy of Mandatory Minimum Drug Sentencing. It really makes you feel for the women who give their stories.
Ethan
Mar 09, 2007 Ethan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
It’s very apparent throughout this book that the author doesn’t get access to the actual prison. The story starts out strong, but relies too much on somewhat cliché characters, typical inmates.
Colleen
This was an eye-opening book about women in prison. I knew of the inequities within prisons for women, but this hit home. I learned more about the history of women's prisons.
Websterdavid3
crisp and fierce... very good sense of women in Framingham state prison, as well as the history of jailing women, for poor attitudes adn sometimes worse.
Darcee
Interesting history of women's prisons in the US- along with personal stories. Orange is the New Black but fer reels.
Sofa_king
A book that told me a lot about the state of women's prisons here in the US. A very sad book, but with flashes of hope thrown in.
Sara
A look at what incarcerated women really experience, how they got there, and how they survive.
Salem
I reviewed A World Apart here.
Ronnie
I couldn't put it down, great book about Framingham.
Sally Kenney
Riveting, yet sad. Reads like a novel. So much to do.
Libby
Amazing read. Launched my prison activism.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Dana Centolella
Dana Centolella marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jewel
Jewel marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Katie Pedersen
Katie Pedersen marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Inside This Place, Not of It: Narratives from Women's Prisons
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Lethal Intent
  • Inside: Life Behind Bars in America
  • Going Up the River: Travels in a Prison Nation
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • No Matter How Loud I Shout: A Year in the Life of Juvenile Court
  • Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction in Black America, 1945-1990
  • Sellout: The Politics of Racial Betrayal
  • Behind the Gates of Gomorrah: A Year with the Criminally Insane
  • Dreams from the Monster Factory: A Tale of Prison, Redemption, and One Woman's Fight to Restore Justice to All
  • Cause of Death: A Writer's Guide to Death, Murder, and Forensic Medicine
  • Flying Close to the Sun: My Life and Times as a Weatherman
  • Mistrial: An Inside Look at How the Criminal Justice System Works...and Sometimes Doesn't
  • Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect