Start by marking “Love, Work, Children” as Want to Read:
Love, Work, Children

Love, Work, Children

A serious accident spurs dramatic changes in the lives of a high-achieving New York City family in this new novel by the author of "Morningside Heights" and "Home Comfort."
Published August 2nd 2005 by Random House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Work, Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Work, Children

Alice
Sep 11, 2009 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like Morningside Heights, I really enjoyed this book but see it as really problematic. It's the second in a trilogy, and shares the same class/marriage obsession as the first book. Very Edith Wharton/Jane Austen, but set in some sort of parallel NYC universe where everyone is an intellectual and fixated on their class position. Recommended if you like books about NYC or intelligent family drama, but it's quite pretentious and doesn't feel very real.
Amy
Nov 20, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Mendelson's voice reminds me of Woody Allen's. She doesn't use the same sense of humor, but she's writing about a similar New York demographic with the same sort of attitude toward her characters.
Laila
May 25, 2010 Laila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am so thankful that the people in my life are nothing like the people in this book.
Jeanne
Jan 03, 2011 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-york
This is the second novel in the author’s brainy Morningside Heights trilogy. Our story focuses on lawyer Peter Frankl and his family.

Peter is married to Lesley, an artist and a complete mismatch for him. They have stayed married for a long time, but only for the sake of their children, Susan and Louis. Unfortunately, staying married hasn’t served as a good example for their children. Both are nearing thirty years of age, and it appears as though neither child will ever marry.

The Frankls are gi
M
Mar 28, 2009 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Khaya rightfully asked why I would bother reading another Mendelson when I think she is a pretentious overdone sorry excuse for a writer and an insult to intelligent people everywhere, and in truth I don't realy have an answer. I had her book lying around since I had amazon'd the trilogy, and I needed a light read one day and so I picked it up.
THe annoying thing about Mendelson is that its not that she's without talent; she is perceptive and has what to say, the problem is how she says it.
Her wr
Natalie
Aug 18, 2007 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lighter
I think I also read Mendelsohn's earlier book set in Morningside Heights (of that title I think). She's very interested in the cultural dynamics of that neighborhood, which is oddly familiar and repellent to me -- I'm no New Yorker but I grew up in a college town that prides itself as an oasis of culture much as her version of MH does -- the economics of MH vs a big-10 college town are completely different, but that makes it interesting. However, her interest in cultural capital tends to take pr ...more
Candy
Aug 27, 2010 Candy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Some very good, some not so good parts to this book. I really enjoyed the beginning as the author was introducing the characters. I'm going to add a few quotes to this review when I get a chance. Had the usual somewhat unrealistic characters (e.g., the poor guy who is 1) insanely handsome, 2) a huge undiscovered opera talent, 3) a chess champion able to re-enter tournament play and beat one of the best players in the world. But that type of unrealistic character doesn't bother me all that much.
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
I picked this book up because it takes place in Morningside Heights, where I lived 3 summers again when I was in The City and I love that neighbourhood. I don't care that people think that UWS is boring and quiet, because I have always loved it. New Yorkers are either E or W and you rarely cross into the others territory and I have always been a W. What are you?

But the story in this book, oh so boring! Two families intertwined with various other people in their lives. The girls who are best frie
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Aug 27, 2007 Laila (BigReadingLife) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: domestic fiction lovers
This book started out so strongly. I was in love with it. But halfway through, my love turned a bit sour, as characters started doing really stupid things to mess up their lives. Sometimes things seem too absurd and just serve to present obstacles for the characters to overcome - you know? Anyway, I still love Mendelson's style, I love reading about New Yorkers, and in the end it all worked out pretty well.
Joanna
Nov 05, 2007 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only reading this because I don't have anything else right now. It's the sequel to Morningside Heights, similar characters. Which is to say, mostly self-involved and entitled. I'm having trouble rooting for any of them. I don't necessarily recommend it, but I am actually enjoying it, despite everything I just wrote.
Debbie
Aug 13, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book follows 2 generations of people trying to find happiness and love. Even though there were a lot of characters to keep track of, Mendelson pulled all their stories together in the last quarter of the book. I was shocked by some of the connections!
Allie
Jul 10, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mendelson has a unique ability to present a deep psychological analysis of the people she writes about, through the vision she offers into their thoughts and behavior. Smooth, precise language and some of the most complicated, compelling literary characters I've encountered.
Lcitera
Dec 21, 2014 Lcitera rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good. I have a weakness for any fiction set in NYC; this book had the anticipated bonus of focusing on my beloved Upper West Side. I plowed my way to page 60 and gave up. Dead end plots, ridiculous characters, horrid people, dry, witless writing. Highly not recommended.
Jenn
Jul 29, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 2nd book of 3 in the triology was the last one I read. It was unnecessarily drawn out and kind of muddled, but ultimately satisfying. I love this author and don't understand why she isn't more popular.
Emily
Jun 30, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased to be able to return to Morningside Heights, especially the lives of Charles and Anne Braithwaite. I've never lived in New York City, but I almost feel as though I had, courtesy of Cheryl Mendelson.
Arden
Dec 24, 2009 Arden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story, but not quite enough to read the other two titles in the trilogy. It was kind of a soap opera of the upper middle class in NYC.
Therese
What I read I really liked. The deal is that this summer I cannot handle anymore sadness and this book is loaded (at least up to where I had to stop). By all means, give it a shot.
Vanessa Fox
Dec 04, 2015 Vanessa Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It's not about physical action with this book. It's all about the relationships between the characters.
Melissa
Mar 13, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun novel about intertwined families and lives who live on the Upper West Side. There are some quirky characters blended with more straight laced ones.
Kelly
May 23, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series
Natasha
Dec 10, 2009 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd of the Morningside Heights trilogy. Loved it.
Tania Smith
A pleasant surprise
Katherine
Nov 17, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't really say why, but I really liked this book.
Amber
Aug 31, 2007 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is one pretentious writer. This is the second in a trilogy - I'll be skipping the finale.
Jasmin
Jul 18, 2008 Jasmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline sure gets you thinking.
I did like the book but I thought it dragged quite a bit.
Victoria
Nov 10, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was the definition of 'meh' to me.
Ellen
Mar 20, 2007 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-read
This book is bittersweet and awesome. Plus, it takes place in my new neighborhood.
Ivory
Jun 03, 2011 Ivory rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and entertaining read, though I don't think that I like the characters enough to read the entire trilogy.
Kristen
Jun 07, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book!
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
  • Brooklyn Love
  • Coyote Dream
  • Lauren Yanofsky Hates the Holocaust
  • What Happened to Anna K.
  • Family Happiness
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Sima's Undergarments for Women