Start by marking “The School for Husbands” as Want to Read:
The School for Husbands

The School for Husbands

The hilarious new novel from bestselling author Wendy Holden

Sophie wants a divorce. But Mark doesn't. He has
Published June 14th 2007 by Headline Review (first published January 30th 2006)

Aura
Aug 08, 2012 Aura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
this book was so awful I just have to write a review for it.

It wasn't the story that i disliked. The problem for me were the characters, they are just plainly stupid and blind! It annoyed me to such an extend that I was thinking of not finishing this book at all. But since that's not my style, i kept on going but it took me ages to finish this.
The best thing about the book was the ending honestly. That is... for two reasons, the first is the fact that the book finally ended of course and the sec
Sree Devi
Another chick lit novel, narrating the story of a husband and wife who go through a rough patch in life. The story is a little funny at the same time not so dramatic. It flows in its own smooth rhythm. I liked some of the funny sequences very much, especially the classroom sequence in which they learn the art of ‘screwing and squeezing’. It was hilarious. The concept is pretty new, the whole idea of ‘School of husband’s’ is narrated in an interesting manner. The description of therapy classes te ...more
Anne Martin
the idea is cute, but the book gets just plainly silly. Sure, some of the things described by the school are true and show how easily some marriages could be fixed, but the whole story isn't meant to be taken seriously. And it does not have the charm of sex and the city to make you forget about it. Simon is a complete sociopath, Sophie is not too smart and neither is Mark. It would make a pleasant summer read if the author had deepened -just a bit her characters, the reasons they can't communica ...more
Amanda
Apr 18, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like to read chic lit when I need a break from reality. Unfortunately this story was quite bland and easily transparent right from the start. Very cliche and not as entertaining as I had hoped. It has a feeling that she had a deadline to write to.
Alysa Farrell
I found this book light, easy to read and yet contained some good tips...Don't let the small things build up in a relationship to the point of exploding. Just because he never mentions your hair, it doesn't mean he is not in love anymore. Or because he stays late at the office, or she can't find time for personal appearance everyday because the baby is demanding.

I enjoyed this book, and found it a bit insightful. Don't take the people you love for granted, and always tell them those three magic
Sian Powell
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy, frothy, holiday read about a husband and wife who split up and the husband goes to the "School for Husbands" of the title to learn how to be a better husband. The character of Sophie's (the wife)mother was very much a caricature of an interfering mother(-in-law) but funny and well done none-the-less. Simon, the new romantic interest for Sophie, was rather one dimensional too but Mark and Sophie were realistic and well described. I think Wendy Holden does not ...more
Bev Taylor
Jul 15, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sophie's not happy with her husband

he works late and leaves all the housework and childcare to her. not a very original plot for a novel

h/e it gets better when he joins the school for husbands in a desperate attempt to save his marriage. though how the cost was justified i do not know

i think what saved this were the great characters and also the dialogue - plus unspoken thoughts

bev
Aileen
Jun 05, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie is married to Mark they have a baby, Arthur, Sophie has
returned to her career after her Maternity leave, life is hard with the
baby, house etc, she is always exhausted, Mark never seems to be there
he is late home every night, she resents the fact that mark is having a
good time while she is stuck at home every night, is mark having an
affair? One night Mark doesn’t come home, it’s the last straw, for
Sophie and she leaves him. Sophie tells him she wants a divorce, but he
doesn’t he has
Anna
Mar 23, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. I've now read all of Wendy Holden's books & loved them all. I read this in a few hours as was ill in bed.

Sophie's marriage was perfect, but now it's all gone wrong. Mark works late; she's left with the baby, domestic drudgery, her own career to keep on the go and the growing feeling that Mark is having an affair. When he fails to come home one night it's the last straw. Sophie wants a divorce. But Mark doesn't. He hasn't been unfaithful, just thoughtless. Desperate not to lose hi
Renee
Dec 16, 2009 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I have the urge to read fluff. It does not happen often, and usually I indulge it with Wendy Holden. I am not sure exactly why I continue to indulge this periodic penchant for fluff with Holden... Other than this book, I have only enjoyed Farm Fatale; I found the others to be absolutely mind numbing (I have yet to read The Full Monty however, which has rave reviews).

School for Husbands is on par with Farm Fatale though; it is still fluff, but it is Holden at her best, which is mo
Helen
Feb 23, 2016 Helen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shallow-froth
If I were a man and paid a ton of money to attend the "school for husbands"' I would be profoundly disappointed and demand my money back. Characters and plot not really believable, and never really developed and took off. Sadly, just a little too shallow, even for me who enjoys the guilty pleasures of a chick lit. Sexist cliches galore about what a typical woman needs in a marriage, eg, men putting the lid back on the toothpaste tube. Really? If something that petty is going to ruin your marriag ...more
Hina Tabassum
Basically, what the author is trying to say is, that it is the little things in life that matter. The story was stretched in places where there was no need of it.
Margherita Dolcevita
La scuola del titolo fa la sua comparsa reale (quindi non solo nominale) attorno a pagina 150.
Le prime 150 pagine sono pesaaaaaaaanti, due balle!!! 150 pagine per dire che fare la mamma e lavorare è difficile solo che i mariti non se ne accorgono, eh grazie al cazz, capirai che novità.
Poi, con l'inserimento della scuola, la trama inizia a prendere corpo, il romanzo inizia a scorrere e va tutto come deve andare più o meno (più più che meno) prevedibilmente. Non è nemmeno male eh, cioè è come uno
Paula Sealey
When Sophie's marriage starts to go wrong and she thinks her husband Mark is having an affair (he isn't!), she decides to leave him and file for a divorce.

Mark, her husband, is desperate to save his marriage and enrols on a 'School for Husbands' course in the hope of changing his ways and getting his marriage back.

This was very light reading! I found some of the characters, especially Sophie's mother, quite absurd, and the plotline was very thin. I actually found myself skimming over parts to tr
Chan
Jun 14, 2014 Chan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have no idea why many people say this book sucks. The author shed the light on what ordinary husbands are usually ignorant about. And many also said that main female character was super dumb. In fact, there are lots of such women out there, perhaps not in everyone's immediate environment. Being said, ending was so typical and boring. The author carried a lot in the beginning that we got to read actual school of husband only after about one-third of the book. But she ended it so fast in a very ...more
GiiPee
Jan 04, 2016 GiiPee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It got me hooked completely... Love the Character & Story of Sophie and Mark !
Hislovinggrace
Jan 21, 2016 Hislovinggrace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there really was a school for husbands...
Bianca
Mar 20, 2013 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie once had a beautiful marriage, but lately it doesn't work anymore. Her husband, Mar is working increasingly long hours, leaving her alone with the baby, housework and the attemp of gaining a career. Sophie comes to believe that he is unfaithful and threatens to divorce him, but Mark is not an adulterous husband, but sloppy. Desperate not to lose his family, enroll in school for husbands of a therapist with unorthodox methods, which guarantees that turns men unable to model life partners. ...more
Fluffychick
I love Wendy Holden and somehow missed this one when it first came out! Have to say it wasn't her best (imo)...for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, I don't care how much your mother hated your husband or how aspirational she was - no one would inflict the awful, bullying Simon on her daughter. Secondly, I had more sympathy with Mark than Sophie (was that what was supposed to happen?)and felt that it was her that really needed th school rather than him.
Okay, so some of the classes were funny, but ove
Tiffany
Aug 06, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Wendy Holden for several years. Her books are always entertaining and in School for Husbands, the author doesn't disappoint. This book has more depth than some of the other chick lit books out there. Even though it's fiction; Wendy touches on subjects many women can relate to- pressure from their mothers, distance in their marriages, miscommunication and the the stress a baby adds to the equation. You will love reading this novel and find yourself rooting for the main characte ...more
Ashley
Sep 01, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, chick-lit
I bought this book because I thought I'd have a lot of similarities with the character being married and all.

It was totally different then I expected it to be but yet I enjoyed it.

She's fed up with his crap, asks for a divorce and tries to move on. Reality hits him and he goes to the extent of doing ANYTHING to get her back. Meanwhile, an old "flame" pops up and tries to woo her in all for his own personal reasons.

It has its twists and turns with a few predictable parts in it but it's fun and li
Elise
Feb 28, 2014 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Entertaining but mm yeah
Rob & Liz
Jul 11, 2008 Rob & Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice silly book that shows how love can beat the odds and the perceived items we consider ones marriage to have at fault. In reality we just need to communicate more often and make time.
Certainly it shows how caught up we can be with life and its demanda on us to raise children and keep a job with all of its ups and downs.
I truly enjoyed this book and it even made me laugh and chuckle and cry.
I felt even I might have passed the exams for this school for husbands.
Cheers
Rob
Alexandra
Aug 10, 2015 Alexandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pentru mine chicurile sunt relaxante , simpatice , funny , dar asta pur si simplu m-a plictisit de la inceput pana la sfarsit
For me the chic-lits are relaxing funny but this book bord me from beging of the end
Heidi
I think this is the third time I've picked up this book from the library; it must be on the display shelf often. And it has a cute title and cover, but apparently it's completely unmemorable, because for the third time I've gotten to page 30 and decided I'm bored. And that's the point when I realize I've tried reading this before.

So I'm putting it on Goodreads to remind myself that I've tried it and didn't like it, so I don't have to do this for a fourth time.
Kimberly
May 20, 2013 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Not one for spoilers, or long negative reviews (which always make me wonder why someone took the time to finish reading it in the first place).

Still, I wanted to say I tried. But I'm sad to say I put the book down halfway. The story sounded fun to me, but all it turned out to be was a tale with characters without heart, that tries it's hardest to be funny.

Not badly written, not at all. But nothing that made me want to spend anymore time on the pages.
Candice
Apr 11, 2014 Candice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was ok. A few frustrating aspects and a bit of skimming over repetitive boring bits. Mags annoyed that Mark was never exonerated about the alcohol being planted thing.
Kelly
Aug 07, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read for for anyone who has tried to juggle work and child-rearing...while also devoting time to nurturing a relationship. I'm sure many men would find it offensive, but personally I enjoyed the "lessons" in the school for husbands - many of them would prove useful to many men I know...
I don't see it as angry or mean - just a lighthearted look at some of these issues!
Fun, easy read; would recommend to many of my female friends!
Rebekah
May 22, 2012 Rebekah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this book but the blurb on this site dont match the blurb for my book...

I dont know if it was just that i wasnt in the right mood, too busy, etc... but i found this book very hard to read... Normally id get through a book of this size in under a week... It does have a decnt ending but the book drags on soo long i was lucky to make it there before trashing it...
Ebony
Jan 09, 2014 Ebony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enjoyable if not slightly predictable read. It is the type of Novel you pick for a holiday read, a little fluffy and lacking in substance but entertaining all the same.
  • Something to Talk about
  • The Botox Diaries
  • Making Mischief
  • Revenge of the Wedding Planner
  • The Sweetest Taboo
  • The Accidental Family (Sophie Mills, #2)
  • Honeymoon
  • Dot.Homme
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • Larger Than Life
  • The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton
  • Finding Monsieur Right
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...