Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt

Ten Years in an Open Necked Shirt

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published 1983 by Arena

Richard
John Cooper Clarke is one of the greatest performance poets alive to today.

One time junkie, superb raconteur, brilliantly funny and a great guy.

Had the pleasure of working with him and spending evenings talking, and sharing tales of rock and roll excesses.

A genius.

This is I think out-of-print, but if you ca get hold of a copy, it has some of his greatest poems...

Better still - go see him perform them live. He does do occasional shows, and it's a treat.
John
Magnificent! I only recently got into JCC's work (through his three albums from the late 70s and early 80s) but this book seemed to have been out of print for decades.

Reading these poems with the music (most but not all of these poems were used on the albums mentioned above) is a wonderful experiece - they're funny, angry, sad and about a dozen other emotions - sometimes in the same poem. Several were new to me - 'I must not go down to the sea again' is one such - and, like the others I already...more
David
Overall, a bit of a mixed bag, this book. There are some really great, classic JCC poems here, but there are some others that -- for me -- were just okay.

Fortunately there is enough good stuff to make it a worthwhile purchase (or gift). I'm glad I've got it, and I'll doubtless go back to it time and again for some quick reads.

4 Stars is probably a touch high: more like 3.6 or 3.7 ish.
Sam Pryce
Up there with the greats as an influential and unflinching poet who was (and still is) in touch with the working class and knew the truth about Broken Britain. These poems are laugh-out-loud, some disturbing, some scarily accurate but all are told through JCC's scintillating wit and wry, sharp edge. Great to dip into now and then for a hearty guffaw.
David Sinck
John Cooper Clarke cuts an unlikely figure on my poetry shelf, along side Eliot, Larkin, Hughes and the rest. Yet he belongs there absolutely, a brilliant chronicler of life, love and nipples in the "Daily Express" (Or lack of them). A slim volume but full of nourishment.
Kerry Anne
Im not very big into poetry, but this beautiful genius man has shown me a new side. His bold and outrageous language brings humour and intellect. I highly recommend anyone ready this book, if you like poetry or not. Its a great read.
John cooper clark = legend
Bob Hartley
I like Clarke, I've seen him live. We requested Love Story in Reverse by screaming "twat" at the stage. This book, then, reads like an album by a band I've downloaded a few songs of. My only qualm's the same line at the end of a stanza thing.
Felix Ortiz
It's great, but it's SPOKEN word. I love his stuff, but the delivery is also a major factor in it.
James
Wonderful book of poems by John Cooper Clarke. Irreverent, insightful and funny.
Peter Hall
Punk poetry, patchy, polemic, probably preferable performed.
Rosie
Rosie is currently reading it
Sarah Hammad
Sarah Hammad marked it as to-read
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Els
Els marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Clare Renwick
Clare Renwick marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Amara Bennington
Amara Bennington is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lindsay Davidson
Lindsay Davidson marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Ruqaya AlHamiri
Ruqaya AlHamiri marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Luis Monteros
Luis Monteros marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Alise
Alise marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Cooper Clarke (born 25 January 1949) is an English performance poet who first became famous during the punk rock era of the late 1970s when he became known as a "punk poet". He released several albums in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and continues to perform regularly.

More about John Cooper Clarke...
Velocity: The Best of Apples and Snakes John Cooper Clarke Directory 1979 Harmony In My Head: The Original Buzzcock Steve Diggle's Rock 'n' Roll Odyssey