Start by marking “Abigails Zeitreise” as Want to Read:
Abigails Zeitreise

Abigails Zeitreise

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,433 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Ein Schlag der Rathausuhr und Abigail ist im vergangenen Jahrhundert. Dort findet sie in der Familie der Bows Verständnis und Liebe. Doch eines Tages muß sie sich entscheiden zwischen diesem neuen Zuhause und der Rückkehr in die eigene Zeit. Die fesselnde und geheimnisvolle Geschichte eines außergewöhnlichen Mädchens.
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Abigails Zeitreise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abigails Zeitreise

Phrynne
As an Australian my excuse for not having read this before is that I grew up in England and therefore did not read this at school as so many people did. I really love Ruth Park's books especially as I know Sydney well and can visualize the places she writes about. Playing Beatie Bow is set in the Rocks area of Sydney and the references to local places are wonderful. Add to this the fact that the book features time travel which is one of my favourite things and you can see it has to be a winner f ...more
oliviasbooks
I still love this book (it has been my fourth time now). Abigail is a kind of anti-heroine, but her personality is interestingly multi-faceted, Beatie and the rest of the Bow Family are so entertainingly vivid and Abigail's time-travel-experience is believably painted in loving detail (up to the accent of the Scottish immigrants and their Glasgow Marble patterned woolen stockings).
There is no denying that the ending is cotton candy pink; it successfully underlines the two - disputable - messages
Chanel11
I will forever remember the moment I first encountered this book. After a particularly mundane school day I plonked myself down in the backseat of our car and prepared for the drive home. However, instead of starting the engine my mother turned around and said, "I've got a small surprise for you. I was at a bookshop today and thought you might enjoy this." She then proceeded to hand me a copy of Playing Beatie Bow. Getting a book as a surprise gift truly made my day, I was almost giddy with anti ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Fourteen year old Abigail Kirk lives with her divorced mother in a high-rise apartment in one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, The Rocks, right below the giant Harbour Bridge and near the Opera House. Over the summer holidays, she helps at her mother's antiques shop and relieves her neighbour Justine of the burden of her two small children, Vincent ("the high-rise monster"), and four-year-old Natalie, prone to fevers and fears and forever being bullied by her unpleasant brother. Abigail takes them to ...more
Emma
when I've had a couple of drinks and am trekking up the sandstone steps by the Argyle Cut to go to the Glenmore, I sing to myself "oh Mudda, oh Mudda, what's that, what's that; it's Beatie Bow, risen from the dead!" and chuckle. I loved this book when I was young, it's given me a whole new way to look at the city around me, and to think about history (aside from its romance and strong, appealing characters). I think about the stockings in Abigail's mother's shop, and how Abigail knows that the p ...more
An Odd1
Abby Kirk, flat-chested lonely unsociable 14, "raged and sulked" p 23 when mother Jan 36 wants to rejoin unfaithful husband in Norway "love is a thing you have to experience before you know how powerful it can be" p 19. Abby "dumbstruck" p 163 repeats mother's advice. If theme is 'power of love' (cue music "and now the violins" p 26), vanquishes time, why is title about career-driven spinster?

Emphasis on working-class lifestyle history, geography, child grows up, same as https://www.goodreads.co
LadyJane
I scroll through the reviews and I see 4 and even 5 stars! And then there is just my...lonely...singular...star.
I just didn't like it. I....I guess that there were a lot of aspects that I didn't like that were brought out even more through the movie.
Jo Rothbaum
I won this book in year 8 primary school and it was a real treat. I love the imagery and this was my first experience of reading about a past time period.
Kerri Turner
I'm going to be completely honest here and start off by saying that part of the reason I loved this book so much is probably because of the nostalgia of it. I had read it when I was at school, and for years couldn't remember the title of the book. When I finally did, I went out and bought a copy straight away and was excited to read it again. It took me right back to those days where I seemed to have much more time for reading!

Having said that, I do think that even without the childhood memories
Tanvi
I realised just last night that 'blanky' is a substitute for 'bloody'. Kudos, Penguin. What is the point of this when the book as good as tells us that certain characters are involved in prostitution and shows two alcoholic characters in pitiful detail? "Oh, gee, guys, you can read about the worst parts of 19th-century Sydney, but we won't include swearing because this is the late 80s and we're too genteel for that. You might learn some bad words." I'm going to pretend that the bit about Beatie ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Abigail is dismayed to learn that her mother and father are contemplating getting back together and moving to another country to make a fresh start. She can’t understand why her mother would agree to take her father back, after he left her mother and the family for a young woman he met at work. Then Abigail suddenly and unexpectedly finds that she has traveled back in time to 1870’s Australia. After befriending people in the earlier time, Abigail is finally able to return to her own time with a ...more
Hannah
At first i thought this would be a pretty lame book, because i had to read it for school, and so far i haven't encountered a good book when it came to my english teacher and her lame choices. And maybe partly because it was written even before i was born in 1980. But i found that i actually enjoyed it.

Ruth Park did a good job on this book, she wrote it well and really did her research on what life was like for poor people in Sydney in 1800's. Even right down to the way they spoke. It seemed like
Karen (Book Light Graveyard)
A friend lent me this book, originally written in 1980, and she might have told me something about it, but if so I don’t remember. So basically I was going into this book with zero expectations. All I knew from the cover summary was that it takes place in Australia and involves time travel.

Two things became clear pretty much immediately. First, that this is a younger YA. Abby, the main character is 14, and the story generally feels geared to younger teens. The second thing that quickly became cl
Kate Krake
A great story! I'm not sure why I never got around to reading this when I was younger - it's one of those titles that just seem to have always been naturally around.
I did feel a little bit like I wsa being smacked in the face with the moral a few times, and I tend not to like it when that happens, but I think I can let this book get away with it. Other than that, highly enjoyable. I loved thinking about The Rocks now, and trying to transpose it onto the C19th setting. A good little read.
Heather
I remember crying over this book at school. It's very dark for a novel aimed at young adults, but Ruth Park is so deft at weaving the complicated strands of her story that it's very difficult to put down, even as an adult. Much of this story is a curious blend of history and fantasy, but the themes she explores through the eyes of her out of place lead character - family, fitting in, first love, first loss - are thoroughly modern.
♥ C.A.Anna ♥
So in the beging i wasnt hooked but as i read more and more i was finding myself more and more attached. The ending was kinda sad when she found out somethings she didnt want to happen. The bookw as full of emotion and thats what i really liked. When romance was added to the book it was just like adding more salt to a dish. I really loved it when i got to about chapter 8. Great job
Marita Hanscamp
Although the story line had a lot of potential, the plot isn't fully realized. The ending frustrated me immensely also and has made me conclude it is written like a 14 yr old wrote it.
I can understand that if I had read this when I was younger, say below 14 I may have enjoyed it. However, reading it as an adult it was a story with potential but in the end a disappointment.
Christena :)
Ha Ha! I read this book when i was in year 8 and i think i was the only one of the class that fell in love with it! I remember reading it three times before we even had to have read the first page. I dont really remember what compelled me to love this book so much, just that it was a great story (even after i had pulled it apart for school). Yep definatley a favourite!
Dee
I love this story. I read it for the first time as a child around 11 or 12 and must admit i didint like it - i t was hard to understand the speech and I didnt care much for the idea. Re-reading it several years later has added this book to my favorite list. What a great story and really gives you insight to how people lived and believed in the 19th century.
Janelle Dazzlepants
Read this for my 9th grade English class, and I loved the way that the story involved time-travel, but not in the traditional sci-fi sense. I remember wanting to visit The Rocks after reading the book, and although I don't remember much, I remember empathising a lot with Abigail.

There's also a movie adaptation, although it's not that great.
JessV
Though the language of this book was quite confusing in many parts I learnt to uderstand the way people lived in the 19th century. Though there were many dangers, people treated friends and family alot better thatn we do today. I believe that the book was better than the movie because there was more information and it was better to understand it.
AnnetteG
This book has been recommended. I'm challenging myself with the genre as I'm not usually interested in reading historical fiction. I hope I am proven wrong.

I read this but it wasn't as good as I thought it had the potential to be. I just had trouble empathising with the characters or situations they found themselves in.
Annaliese  Mansfield
this book is one of the many that proves that every book they give you to read for school is a terrible one!
i do love the 1800's! like really love it!! i could read about everything that happened during that time for hours! but this... this was just appalling! i couldn't help but cringe at the language that was used and the way people were living! none of it felt realistic at all! i remember having long rants about how much i hated it it to my dad!
the whole 'going back in time' thing was just
Kat
I know it's a book for children but it's one of the best. The book is about a girl named Abigail (her real name is Lynette I think but she named herself Abigail after her father left), that lives in Sydney. The story was great and I enjoyed the characters. Hopefully I will re-read this book soon.
Phoebe
The genre in this book is mixed, there is mystery, fantasy and a small element of horror, I really enjoyed this book. I have now rated it five stars because I loved it so much. I recommend this book to any reader up for a challenge.
Donni Hakanson
What a charming, yet raw novel! I really enjoyed this one, a quirky yet vividly realitic portrayal of a teenager's adventures in the Australian past of the rocks area, Sydney! Classic Australian literature from the late Ruth Parks.
Tanya
I first read this book in year 8 (many years ago) And found it again in a second hand bookstore just recently. Was great to have a bit of a refresher on a fabulous Aussie classic.
Jillian
Quite possibly my favourite book of all time, rivalling Pride and Prejudice, but discovered much younger so I've loved it longer :)
Emma
This book was hard to understand but had a really good story line. I did have trouble reading the slang but it does make sense
Alice Bellemont
The story got better as it went along but I didn't love it. Was not hard to put down. Nice for an easy read though.
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Taronga
  • My Brilliant Career
  • The Shiralee
  • The Silver Brumby
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • The Red Shoe
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Possum Magic
  • Wombat Stew
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as counc
More about Ruth Park...
The Harp In The South Poor Man's Orange The Muddle-Headed Wombat My Sister Sif Missus