Start by marking “Schattengäste” as Want to Read:
Schattengäste

Schattengäste

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Lonely Cosmo, hit by family tragedy, finds a strange atmosphere in the home of his aunt and meets some eerie friends. The author also wrote Midnight is a Place, The Whispering Mountain and The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.
Paperback
Published 1993 by Diogenes (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Schattengäste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schattengäste

Matt Davies
After the disappearance of his mother and older brother Cosmo leaves his father in Australia and returns to the old family home in Oxford. There he not only has to contend with a new school and unwelcoming classmates, but the revelation of an ancient family curse and visits from ghosts - the 'shadow guests' of the title. The book deals with issues of change, loss and the difficulties faced in adapting to new situations. This is hardly an original premise - it seems like I read lots of books like...more
Tyas
This book is unexpectedly creepy, and even contains things that were quite shocking for me. She put this into a book supposedly for children? How would children deal with this? The thought of your mother and your older brother do something like that... I don't think I can just brush away such event from my mind. But Cosmo's experiences with the ancient curse, perhaps, prepared him to accept the fact better than most children would.

I like the part of how Cosmo tried to fit in school with its funn...more
Margaret
After his mother and brother mysteriously disappear, Cosmo's father sends him from Australia to live with his mathematician aunt in England, where he must deal with being the new boy at school...and with the ghosts who appear to him around his aunt's house. Aiken entwines the natural and supernatural events cleverly and unfolds the mystery of the ghosts gradually; as always, she has a gift for making an imaginative plot seem convincing and believable. This isn't as good as the Dido books (the ea...more
Phoebe
Oh, how Joan Aiken is worth coming back to again and again. This is a standalone novel about a boy whose father sends him to live with an English cousin after his mother and brother vanish into the Australian outback. Cosmo adores his cousin, and the old mill house in which she lives, but he has troubles at school and then, to make matters worse, creepy things start happening. His cousin fills him in on the terrible family curse--and it appears that the ghosts Cosmo sees are linked to this curse...more
Chris
Joan Aiken was one of those writers who made the task of reading her books not a task at all, just a pleasure to slip between the sheets and lose yourself in the narrative. Her command of story and speech seems so effortless yet true to life. The story opens in a 20th-century airport, Heathrow, with a youngster waiting to be collected by a relative, an opening so unlike many Aiken novels as to feel incongruous. There is a mystery surrounding Cosmo's family back in Australia, a mystery which grad...more
Austen to Zafón
I read this as a pre-read for my son, but I did enjoy it myself. It certainly is spooky and I liked the characters of his aunt and live-in housekeeper. I did find it difficult to believe that the main character could just "pick up" jousting, fencing, swordfighting, and such without any training. But overall, it was a fun read. Not her best, but better than a lot of the schlock published for YA readers these days. If you liked this, you'll no doubt love the Green Knowe series by L.M. Boston, whic...more
whalesister
A different sort of fantasy for Aiken, with a modern setting, which she pulls off nicely. I really liked the main character and his ghost friends, but I wanted more, and the real-life friends were a little flat. I liked the book, but thought it needed to be longer for the character development to be complete.
Logan
Feb 12, 2010 Logan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Why: I just pre-read this last night. It's a ghost story with some history added in and I enjoyed it. it even gave me the shivers! I think L will like this when he gets to be more the protagonist's age (10?). Pretty realistic portrayal of being the new kid at a school. It sucks. Been there many times.
Eileen
Joan Aiken is always interesting. Where else are you going to find mentions of both the Domesday Book and Flatland in one YA story? I can't say I'm especially convinced by the ending, which is my main problem overall.
Anthony Faber
Good kids' book, even with the garbled science & math. It's an occult ghost/time travel story with a bad scientific gloss. As a story, it works, though.
I liked the ambiguity of the ending, which is rare in kids' books.
Marya DeVoto
This isn't up to the standard of Aiken's Saddle the Sea or her more famous works, but it's more-then-competent YA fantasy that combines a school story with spooky paranormal events and time-slip. There's even a family curse and some interesting discussions of how science can accomodate that sort of thing. I enjoyed it a lot.
Ed Zielinski
Ed Zielinski marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Carey Bluxome
Carey Bluxome marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)