Start by marking “The Seven Silly Eaters” as Want to Read:
The Seven Silly Eaters

The Seven Silly Eaters

4.41  ·  Rating Details ·  2,157 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
Peter wants only milk, Lucy won't settle for anything but homemade lemonade, and Jack is stuck on applesauce. Each new addition to the Peters household brings a new demand for a special meal. What's a mother to do?
Published August 1st 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published February 1st 1997)

Matt
Jan 28, 2017 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When seven children with different eating habits push their mother to the brink, they try to return the favour. As Neo discovers, their joint effort brings about the greatest food of all!
Kathryn
May 21, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars thanks to Marla Frazee's illustrations. I loved her work in All the World and am now a devoted fan. Her illustrations of family life just make me feel so happy! I am at once flooded with sweet memories of my own childhood and full of dreams for when I have kids of my own. She creates families and home-life that I can totally relate to! Not a neat-as-a-pin house, but one full of character with happy messes and signs of hobbies and work and love and life all over the place. In my opinio ...more
Ronyell
Eaters

Now a few years ago, a couple of my book friends had recommended me this cute children’s book called “The Seven Silly Eaters” by Mary Ann Hoberman along with illustrations by Marla Frazee, to read. But I was never able to get around to reading this book until just recently and now I wish that I had actually read this book many years ago!

When Mr. and Mrs. Peters had a son named Peter, their lives were perfect except for one thing…Peter was an extremely picky eater as he would only drink warm milk
Lisa Vegan
May 21, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Growing up a lonely only child, with no pets, and no gorgeous house by a lake, I’d have eaten up this book as a kid. I loved it now too. The story a lot of fun. The illustrations are outstanding, really wonderful!

Every illustration is so intricate and there is so much to look at. This growing family of a mother, a father, and seven children, the youngest two twins, and their dog, their cats, and every detailed thing and activity going on in that house, well those illustrations could keep a reade
Julianne
Oct 30, 2014 Julianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite children's books EVER! Love everything about it!!
Ashlee Draper Galyean
Jan 02, 2015 Ashlee Draper Galyean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
If your children are picky eaters, just give them cake ;)
Brenda Engelhardt
I've read this picture book so many times and I still love how I feel when its finished. A mom and dad start their lives playing the cello and baking their own bread from sratch. But baby after baby with unique food demands come along. One eats eggs, another only lemonade while one must have homemade applesauce, and so on. Mother is a constant whirl of action trying to please her picky eaters Finally one exhausted evening mom carries herself to bed. It is the day before her birthday but she has ...more
Crystal Marcos
May 21, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a recommendation to me. Thank you! The first thing I noticed when I saw the cover was how colorful, fun, and expressive it was. I had a feeling before I opened it that I was going to love it. My feeling was right. I found myself spending time looking at every detail of each page. My daughter was never picky until she reached one. For the past month, she lets me know when she doesn't like something. This fact has made me appreciate this book more. It is a story about what a mother g ...more
Elsa
Jan 12, 2015 Elsa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter loves this book, so I've read it about a hundred times. It is funny, it has great illustrations, but I can only give it three stars because I feel like it sets a bad tone for motherhood. She has seven children, all picky, and she does ALL the work. They show the husband in the background reading a book and otherwise having time to enjoy his children, while she slaves away in the kitchen for her picky children. I guess in this way, it is a good lesson on feminism, because these are th ...more
Joanna
Sep 15, 2007 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Marla Frazee's illustrations bring the rhyming verse of Mary Ann Hoberman to life. This is an adorable story of a sprawling happy family with VERY picky eaters for children. We love this read aloud!
Alicia
Dec 03, 2008 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of the story: don't have seven kids. Or, don't indulge their picky eating too much. Or, seven separate things - good in their own individual rights - can come together to create something fun and exciting and great (there's the argument for having seven kids).
Gina
I have read this book a million times. When I taught 3rd grade, my student's begged for me to read this book. I ended up having to buy another copy because it was so well read. I introduced my own kids to it and they loved it as well. I love good children's picture books!!
Ebeth
Nov 14, 2016 Ebeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful children's story set in rhyme with equally captivating illustrations. An honest depiction of motherhood subtly told as well. My 4.5 year old at the time loved it.
Tam
Mar 07, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this rhyming book even more than my boys (ages 5 & 9). It does a great job of describing what it's like to be the mother of picky eaters!

Ann
Sep 19, 2016 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: littles
What a horrible message for children about the role of mothers, parenting, and self care in general.
Anne
A sweet, funny story about a totally endearing family. And the rhyme is perfect! Such fun to read and thankfully they all learn their lesson in the end...
Mary
Jul 25, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caoimhe
Thanks to Niamh and Molly for this treat---we're now wondering if the recipe for pink lemonade cake is actual or myth. tbd.
Crissy
Feb 18, 2016 Crissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Elli just randomly picked it at the library and it was so good. ;)
Margaret
Jun 12, 2010 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite at our house.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Combine this with Mrs. Pig's Bulk Buy by Mary Rayner.
Jolene
Nov 10, 2012 Jolene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED the pictures:)
Lucía Díaz
Mrs. Peters loved her seven picky eaters very much. Peter would only drink warm milk, Lucy would only drink homemade pink lemonade, Jack loved his apple sauce, and Mac could not stand lumps on his oatmeal. Let's not forget the twins: Flo, who liked poach eggs and Fran who liked fried and god forbid Mrs. Peters mixed the orders up.

I gave this book five stars because I enjoyed the way the book was written, the illustrations, and most of all: the message. the book's use of rhyme makes this a parti
Madeline
Nov 08, 2016 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY: This book takes readers through the story of the Peters' family. They have seven children and all of them are picky eaters. They each consistently eat one specific item. However, this is difficult for Mrs. Peters because she has to cook many different items. When her birthday comes, the children stay up the night before and decide to make her their favorite foods. After the children argue, and toss the food into each other's food mixture they come together and make a big fluffy birthday ...more
Relyn
Feb 07, 2017 Relyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Marla Frazee, the illustrator.
Shelves: library-lessons
I have loved this book for years. Marla Frazee is one of my favorite illustrators and she does a masterful job in this silly little rhyming book. So, when I was looking for a fun rhyming book for this week's Kindergarten lessons, I knew it would be a winner.

This silly book was just goofy enough to delight my Kindergartners this week. They laughed and talked and giggled all the way through. And, of course, they all want to make a pink cake. ;O)

Library Lessons
For the last two weeks I worked on rh
Michelle Johnson
What a fun, inviting yet silly book about a group of kids who make their mama crazy. Oh, wait. That's just me. My picky kids do drive me crazy...and there are seven of them (left at home). But thankfully they eat a slightly more varied diet than these silly eaters.

I love the ending of the book when the kids all join together. That's also like my kids.

Highly recommended. And maybe, just maybe, someone will see how silly picky eating is.

*I doubt it.
Kenneth
Jan 23, 2017 Kenneth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Lovely poem with illustrations. The poem is focused is on how a mother that works hard, gets recognized for the full worth of her work. The mother takes her time to ensure each child gets their individual needs met. In turn, the children try their best to please their mother. The poem is fun. It comes together in a neat and unexpected way.
Felicia Tidwell taylor
The seven silly eater was a book of seven children/people that have different taste in foods or appetite and prefer a certain type of food. It displays every person will not always like the same things and at the same time still be able to get along. The class activity will be taste testing different types of foods.
Micaela Muldoon
Another story about a mother who is overworked in trying to take care of her fussy children, a dad who doesn't do much, and the grand event of her children trying to do something special to make it up to her. Zany and entertaining in both rhyme scheme and illustration.
Chandra
Feb 21, 2017 Chandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my 3.5 year old's favorite books! She loves the silliness and went around randomly repeating the word, "persnickety" for a week.
Nate
Feb 25, 2017 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional!
EDCI 325 Fall 2012: The Seven Silly Eaters 1 4 Oct 24, 2012 10:48AM
  • If I Built a Car
  • Mailing May
  • The Boss Baby
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • The Bear That Heard Crying
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • Mrs. Biddlebox
  • The Apple Pie That Papa Baked
  • Imagine a Night
  • The Quiltmaker's Gift
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)
  • Heckedy Peg
  • All about Alfie
  • Everywhere Babies
  • The Curious Garden
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Kiss That Missed
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...