The Seven Silly Eaters

The Seven Silly Eaters

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  1,165 ratings  ·  238 reviews
Peter wants only milk, Lucy won't settle for anything but homemade lemonade, and Jack is stuck on applesauce. Each new addition to the Peters household brings a new demand for a special meal. What's a mother to do?
Published August 1st 2000 by Turtleback Books (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Silly Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Silly Eaters

Kathryn
Five stars thanks to Marla Frazee's illustrations. I loved her work in All the World and am now a devoted fan. Her illustrations of family life just make me feel so happy! I am at once flooded with sweet memories of my own childhood and full of dreams for when I have kids of my own. She creates families and home-life that I can totally relate to! Not a neat-as-a-pin house, but one full of character with happy messes and signs of hobbies and work and love and life all over the place. In my opinio...more
Brenda Engelhardt
I've read this picture book so many times and I still love how I feel when its finished. A mom and dad start their lives playing the cello and baking their own bread from sratch. But baby after baby with unique food demands come along. One eats eggs, another only lemonade while one must have homemade applesauce, and so on. Mother is a constant whirl of action trying to please her picky eaters Finally one exhausted evening mom carries herself to bed. It is the day before her birthday but she has...more
Lisa Vegan
Growing up a lonely only child, with no pets, and no gorgeous house by a lake, I’d have eaten up this book as a kid. I loved it now too. The story a lot of fun. The illustrations are outstanding, really wonderful!

Every illustration is so intricate and there is so much to look at. This growing family of a mother, a father, and seven children, the youngest two twins, and their dog, their cats, and every detailed thing and activity going on in that house, well those illustrations could keep a reade...more
Allie
Peter was a perfect son in every way except one. When he was little he did not like his milk cold or warm. He liked it just warm. When he spilled his milk his mother didn’t get mad she would just go along with her little boy. Then Mrs. Peter had a little girl named Lucy. She hated milk cold, hot and warm. All she wanted was homemade lemonade. Mrs. Peter did not mind she would squeeze the lemons. She thought it was funny how they were such silly eaters. Then she has another little boy Jack who on...more
Cathy
This book is THE BEST! Read it with all my kids for many years--we even made a recipe for Mrs. Peter's birthday cake and did a library story hour in our town about this book. The prose and poetry rhythm of this amusing story will keep young and old entertained to the end.

When starry-eyed Mr. and Mrs. Peters discover the "persnickety" tastes of their first-born they are amused. Six MORE children and six MORE very picky eaters turn their amusement to exhaustion, until a series of very fortunate e...more
Maya Watts
This is a cumulative story about a family of picky eaters. The mother has to make more and more accommodations for all seven children she had. As she has more children, the things she has to do to make sure they will get more and more complicated. The children try to thank their mother for her kindness by making her a big breakfast. In the process, they just make a huge mess in the kitchen. Eventually they make a cake with the ingredients from all their favorite things.
The illustrations are mos...more
Alicia
The moral of the story: don't have seven kids. Or, don't indulge their picky eating too much. Or, seven separate things - good in their own individual rights - can come together to create something fun and exciting and great (there's the argument for having seven kids).
Tam
I think I liked this rhyming book even more than my boys (ages 5 & 9). It does a great job of describing what it's like to be the mother of picky eaters!

Mary
Thanks to Niamh and Molly for this treat---we're now wondering if the recipe for pink lemonade cake is actual or myth. tbd.
Margaret
A favorite at our house.
Laura Gibbs
I have to admit that at first glance, I didn’t think I would like this book but it turned out to be a lot cuter than I thought it would! The book rhymes-which is awesome-and it starts out with a mother who has a baby named Peter who will only drink milk, and it has to be at a certain temperature. It has to be lukewarm. Mrs. Peters didn’t mind fixing his milk this way, and even if he spilled it she would make him some more. The process continues with all of the six other kids she has—one will on...more
Chrissy Stoll
What a great read-aloud book! My kids (ages 3 & 5) absolutely love it. The cadence of the verses and the cute rhymes make it fun for me to read to them. The pictures are fantastic as well.
Most mothers of multiple children, especially picky eaters, can relate to this story, but it's told in a way that everyone in our family enjoys. It even made me a little choked up the first time I read it. I know, I know, it's a children's book, but it's a sweet story and I'm a sap. ;)

One tiny thing I was...more
Crystal Marcos
This book was a recommendation to me. Thank you! The first thing I noticed when I saw the cover was how colorful, fun, and expressive it was. I had a feeling before I opened it that I was going to love it. My feeling was right. I found myself spending time looking at every detail of each page. My daughter was never picky until she reached one. For the past month, she lets me know when she doesn't like something. This fact has made me appreciate this book more. It is a story about what a mother g...more
Vicki Kier
Hoberman uses rhyming couplets to tell the story of Mrs. Peters, a kind-hearted mother who indulges her growing family by preparing individual favorites for meals. Although Hoberman's voice is fine for read-alouds, the length of the text would be exhausting (even for those in grades K-1), were it not for Marla Frazee's brilliantly engaging illustrations. Discerning readers will appreciate the artist's attention to supporting details not explicitly mentioned by the author: Mr. Peters; Mrs. Peter'...more
Amy Holt
I absolutely love this story! I also enjoy the rhythm of the words. The story itself is a poem of sorts but it certainly doesn't read like a poem until you want to count the fact that there is a wonder flow to the way the words sound coming out of your mouth.

So many young kids go through those times when they think "I'll only eat (fill in the blank)." What a great way to bring up the subject in a fun whimsical way.

The illustrations in this story are tops. I doubt I could say enough good things...more
Courteney Pepper
This book is hilarious and so true. I only have 3 but man is it hard to cook for them! They all like different things, and if one of them likes dinner it's pretty much guaranteed at least one other won't. It's hard enough keeping up with three kids, I can't possibly imagine seven! This book is a lot of fun for the whole family.
Clarah Camp
The Seven Silly Eaters is one of my favorite childhood picture books. It was so fun to read and very relatable to me at the time I was reading it. Growing up in a family of seven it helps you realize that every large family is slightly crazy in their own way. This would be a fun read if you are the mother of a large family. It is entertaining for the kids and if you want you can even make an activity out of it and make the cake along with the kids. It is an amazing book for all ages because it r...more
My kids wanted me to read this again and again. The book has a whimsical quality to it that kept me turning the pages even though the "mom" part of me kept rolling my eyes at these fussy kids' appetites. The artwork is enjoyable as well; I think we'll be adding this to our collection.
Bridget Gambaiani
I was really hoping that this indulgent mother and her seven picky eaters were going to arrive to a better conclusion than let them eat cake. That being said I still really like this one and so did my daughter. What can I say I’m a sucker for a fun rhyme and silly pictures.
Alice
3.5 Stars I met the Illustrator at a conference and she used this book as an example of her work. I actually like her artwork in this book and usually I am not a fan of Marla's work though I am learning to appreciate it. She told us at the conference that the text never mentioned a father, but with 7 kids...there had to be a father somewhere so she added him in the drawings!

Also , Marla said that with this book they got a lot of letters thanking them for writing a book about kids who were home...more
Melanie
Mr. and Mrs. Peters have a houseful of picky eaters. When it was only 2 or 3 picky ones, Mrs. Peters did not mind so much. She loved her children and wanted to do everything she could to make them happy. Even if that meant homemade pink lemonade, applesauce, bread, lumpless oatmeal and many other things. However, as the size of the family grew, Mrs. Peters began to lose her willingness to be a short-order cook. One day she is so busy she is shocked to remember that the next day is her birthday....more
Saylee
this is my all time favorite children's book, one that I made my mom read every night to me when I was little to the point where I had memorized it and would read along :)
Karen Henck
I love reading this with my five-year-old daughter. The rhymes and meter are a real pleasure. This book is a delight for parents as well as children.
Carrie
A favorite with the grand and neighbor kids...charming illustrations that keep us discovering more at each re-reading. We've enjoyed making the family's special cake several times (no recipe included--we guesstimated which worked out quite deliciously).
Erika
Derek request this book a lot (I think the picky eating really resonates with him). I love the illustrations.
Olena Zaytseva
Awesome!!! Great family book for picky eaters! Wonderful illustrations!
You NEVER get tired of this book. :-)
Anastasia Tuckness
Love this book--mostly b/c of the Marla Frazee illustrations. This is a hilarious book about a family with multiple kids, and each kid eats only one thing. Unfortunately each eats a different thing and demands that it be homemade. The mom is a trouper for a long time until 7 kids who are big enough to need lots of food. She has a minor meltdown and goes to bed exhausted on the eve of her birthday. The kids realize it is time to give something back and so they decide to make a breakfast treat for...more
Jessica
We bought this book to help a picky eater. It was recommended by a pastor's wife. It's just a very fun and silly way to talk about food. Each of these kids only wants to eat ONE particular food and Mama has to work super hard to feed all these kids. It wasn't quite what I expected but it does lend to good conversation about being polite and eating what you are served.
Julianne
This is just too cute! Thanks to Jessica for recommending it! This is a really fun children's picture book.

There's a family that has a baby every year, but the kids are very picky eaters. One only drinks freshly-squeezed lemonade, another only eats applesauce, and so forth. It becomes harder and harder for mom to manage all those silly eaters. Finally, one day she collapses and the kids have to fend for themselves. But no one knows how to cook...

I read it to my mom, but then went back to examine...more
EDCI 325 Fall 2012: The Seven Silly Eaters 1 2 Oct 24, 2012 10:48AM
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • If I Built a Car
  • The Quiltmaker's Gift
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • Roller Coaster
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • Everywhere Babies
  • Double Trouble in Walla Walla
  • Little Oink
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems A House Is a House for Me You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together Miss Mary Mack You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together