Start by marking “Breach of Faith: The Fall of Richard Nixon” as Want to Read:
Breach of Faith: The Fall of Richard Nixon

Breach of Faith: The Fall of Richard Nixon

The Nixon crisis of 1973-74 threatened the state in ways not immediately understood. Stripped of drama & confusion, however, the problem was that the President had placed himself above the law. The nation had to decide whether that could be allowed. Theodore H. White starts this story with the last days of Richard Nixon in the White House--as those closest recognized h ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 476 pages
Published November 1st 1985 by Dell Publishing Company (first published January 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Breach of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breach of Faith

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleFun With Dick And Jane by Pearson Scott ForesmanDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickStraight by Dick Francis
I Like Dick
23rd out of 41 books — 12 voters
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerDoctor Zhivago by Boris PasternakFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
1949-89: A History Lesson By Billy Joel
59th out of 167 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Erik Graff
Jan 21, 2015 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: Richard A. Hyde
Shelves: history
I actually went out to see Richard M. Nixon once during the 1972 campaign, visiting a tepid rally the Republicans were holding with him outside Maine West High School in Illinois. He was about two inches tall from where Arthur Kazar and I were standing with a bunch of protesting farmworkers (UFW).

The Watergate scandal began to hit the news during that campaign, mostly in terms of the break-in at Ellworth's psychiatrist's office by the Plumbers, but not soon enough and with not enough coverage to
Bob Koelle
Jan 29, 2015 Bob Koelle rated it really liked it
Really nice view from the inside of the Nixon White House, by someone who had the cooperation of many who worked there. It's like the mirror image of All The President's Men. White wants to tie the paranoid White House to both Nixon's past political struggles as well as the ideological turmoil of the day, and he's much more successful at the former, which makes up most of the book. Much of the final chapter can be disregarded as pointless analysis by someone who was not removed far enough in tim ...more
Will
Aug 21, 2014 Will rated it liked it
This book is a well-written and sympathetic account of Nixon's presidency with a focus on Watergate. However, it is likely Mr. White's weakest book on American politics. His prose is especially purple and his similes are occasionally painful. He gets caught up in detail, losing the significance of Watergate, although the parts of the book where he examines the social and political implications of the scandal are incredibly thought-provoking. However, it seems that he could have benefited from mo ...more
Monte Lamb
May 01, 2015 Monte Lamb rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of the fall of Richard Nixon. It is very well written and does a good job of telling the steps of his fall. Reading this book in 2015, it was very interesting to read the final chapter which asks many questions as to what the future will be and how Nixon's acts might affect them. It asked the right questions and knowing how many of them have been answered, the author understood what might happen in many areas.
MisterFweem
Mar 02, 2016 MisterFweem rated it it was amazing

There's the review. Briefly: An excellent book for any Nixon junkie or fan of Ted White.
Carolyn
Feb 23, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
The eloquence of Theodore H. White is at its best in this account of the Watergate story. If you have not read it, you have not examined the tragedy of Watergate.
Seng Soumpolpakdy
Feb 18, 2015 Seng Soumpolpakdy rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the most nerdiest books I've ever read but it was cool because theodore gave a visual tour of the events very well. Not bad at all. Great story.
James
Feb 24, 2011 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Theodore H. White's "Making of the President" books and I found this to be even better. His insight into the psyche of Nixon and adumbration of the hubris of a very intelligent man impressed me. With his account of the decline and fall of Richard Nixon, Theodore White not only succeeded once more in transforming presidential politics into best-selling nonfiction, but also demonstrated that the loss of power can be made as fascinating and satisfying a story as its acquisition.
David
Jul 20, 2007 David rated it really liked it
This is the best book I've read about Richard Nixon and the Watergate scandal. Theodore H. White wrote some compelling books about the presidential elections of 1960, 1964, 1968 and 1972. His account of the fall of Richard Nixon, in a Shakespearean-like tragedy, was no less compelling. His chapter about the tapes that led to Nixon's demise is one of the finest I've ever read on the subject. To understand Nixon and Watergae, it is essential to read this book.
Stuart Townsend
Aug 27, 2012 Stuart Townsend rated it it was amazing
Simply my favorite book - a delight to read, to think about, to cherish. It is writing at its finest. He tells the story of the fall of Richard Nixon with such eloquence. If I had just one book I was allowed - this would be it. It is a book which leaves me in awe. I have read it perhaps 6 times. I still find more in it each time.
Marc
Jun 02, 2012 Marc rated it liked it
Shelves: us-nixonalia
White brings the historian's rigour as well as his ability to write with passion. One of many judgements on Richard Nixon. Since this was written immediately after the fall, it is more reliable than some of the rehabilitation texts that cropped up 20 or so years later.
Jake Voss
Sep 07, 2016 Jake Voss rated it it was amazing
This is a very critical look at the Nixon administration. Much more pointed than Woodward/Bernstein's criticisms. Slows down for the last third, but the details and anecdotes alone make the book worthwhile. Not sure why it took me 3 years to finally finish it.
Drnick
Jun 03, 2008 Drnick rated it liked it
I've only managed to read part of this book, but it is a fascinating look inside Nixon's white house. It gave me a deeper understanding of the personal traits which lead to Nixon's mistakes. It may also provide some insight into G.H.W. Bush's failed presidency as well.
Grant
Jun 21, 2012 Grant rated it really liked it
This is the book that got me started reading Presidential Biography and Watergate books. White was a master of political history.
Jonathan
Oct 04, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good account not only of Watergate and its aftermath, but of Richard Nixon's career and the political apparatus he built.
Glenn Rodekohr
Oct 14, 2013 Glenn Rodekohr rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book enough. Essential reading.
Cws
Dec 29, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: j-ref
JRef4
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Flowered Wallpaper
Flowered Wallpaper rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Charles Davis
Charles Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Islam Abou Hamda
Islam Abou Hamda marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Nicholas Bonnema
Nicholas Bonnema marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Tere Sabino
Tere Sabino marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Michael Dawson
Michael Dawson rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
  • The Final Days
  • President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime
  • Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times 1961-1973
  • Year of Meteors: Stephen Douglas, Abraham Lincoln, and the Election that Brought on the Civil War
  • Triumph and Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson: The White House Years
  • 1960--LBJ vs. JFK vs. Nixon: The Epic Campaign That Forged Three Presidencies
  • The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox
  • Blind Ambition
  • Honor in the Dust: Theodore Roosevelt, War in the Philippines, and the Rise and Fall of America's Imperial Dream
  • Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President
  • Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full
  • To the Best of My Ability
  • The Fierce Urgency of Now: Lyndon Johnson, Congress, and the Battle for the Great Society
  • Landslide: LBJ and Ronald Reagan at the Dawn of a New America
  • Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero
  • The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House
  • The Clinton Tapes: Wrestling History With the President
  • Where They Stand: The American Presidents in the Eyes of Voters and Historians
Theodore Harold White was an American political journalist, historian, and novelist, best known for his accounts of the 1960, 1964, 1968, and 1972 presidential elections.
White became one of Time magazine's first foreign correspondents, serving in East Asia and later as a European correspondent. He is best known for his accounts of two presidential elections, The Making of the President, 1960 (1961
More about Theodore H. White...