Start by marking “Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest” as Want to Read:
Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest

Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest

In this classic book you will discover the intimate journey of personal and spiritual development that is possible through the practice of journal writing. In Life’s Companion, acclaimed author Christina Baldwin offers readers guidance and inspiration to this powerful way of expanding our inner horizons and opening our minds and spirits to a deeper relationship with the wo ...more
Published December 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1990)

Helynne
May 21, 2009 Helynne rated it really liked it
I have always been a dedicated--well, compulsive--journal keeper, so I thought this book would be a natural for me. It was. In fact, I was so impressed by this collection of suggestions, quotations, sacred meditations, etc., in the library copy I checked out, that I had to run out and buy my own copy of the book, and send one to my daughter as well.
This is more than just a guide to finding more personal spirituality through regular personal journal entries. It is a guided quest for self-discov
Autumn
By far the best journalling book I have encountered, with meaningful prompts that go beyond the typical domains of journal-writing from thoughts/feelings/emotions/behaviours to explore the connected self, both inner and outer connectedness. Also interspersed are inspirational quotes and short narratives, making it impossible not to want to explore the spiritual self.
Jeanne
Sep 09, 2007 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
This is the type of book that makes me rub my hands together in anticipation. The format of experiential exercises and quotes on one side and a textual discussion on the other throughout the book is inviting. There is a juxtaposition of theory in the discussion and expression opportunity in the activities that I find an engaging way to learn. The mandala art throughout the book made me choose an unlined book so that I could make my own drawings.

The author's sharing of her intra-personal developm
Crystal
Oct 08, 2013 Crystal added it
Shelves: memoir-writing
I have reviewed this book as a reference for my thesis. I would highly recommend using the book to accomplish a sacred spiritual journey. This book is not so much to the shaping of a memoir but for the use of keeping a journal and discovering meaning in one's own writing. I am looking forward to putting into practice many of the suggestions in this text.
Andee
Jun 24, 2010 Andee rated it it was amazing
I really like this book, if you need help getting started or unstuck in writing a journal, art journal or blog, this book could be most helpful. If you have a story to be told and don't know how to get it onto paper, this book just might help you get it there.
Debbie Hoskins
This is still on my favorite, wonderful books bookshelf. I was doing a SARK review and it came to mind. Unlike SARK, this is not "dated." I would highly recommend this if you are into creativity as a Spiritual Quest, like the title says.
Daniela
Sep 03, 2014 Daniela rated it liked it
I skimmed over this book more than I read it page to page, but I will surely come back to it every once in a while in the future.
The layout is very original - on the right you have the ongoing text and on the left there are quotes, examples of journal entries and questions you can ask yourself in your own journal. Some might find this confusing, but I found it very enjoyable. Some of the chapters were great and of use to me - for example the chapter on "Finding your people" and "The guidance of
Debra
Apr 08, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
Author Christina Baldwin says in her introduction that “The spiritual journey is what the soul is up to while we attend to daily living.” In this fast-paced McWorld, daily living tends to take precedence over spiritual reflection. In fact, it almost seems a guilty pleasure to read a quiet, thoughtful book about how to get in touch with one’s spiritual life; to peel down the layers and really ponder choices, goals, and fantasies. But this is exactly what this book does in an elegant, thoughtful w ...more
JayeL
Jan 19, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: 2009, abandoned
This is, primarily, a book for someone who does not have a journal practice. for those who already write in a journal or diary on a regular basis, some of the exercises and suggestions for carving out time to write are unnecessary.

There are sections discussing topics, which are interesting and helpful.

One of the difficulties I had in reading this book is that the book has two different books going at the same time. One narrative is on the right pages and the other is on the left. I started readi
Carrie
Jan 24, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: creative-writing
This book is an example that sometimes you are not ready to read a book. I started reading this book 16 years ago when I was in my early twenties. I struggled with it and finally gave up for over a decade. A few years ago I picked it up again for a second attempt, still could not finish it. But today I did and it resonated with me for the first time. Now I'm ready to pick out a personal journal and follow the journaling practices in the book. The book has a lot of new age elements but even a rat ...more
Rena Jane
Dec 05, 2015 Rena Jane rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for anyone who enjoys journaling, and/or is at a point in their life where they want to do some introspective thinking, planning or exploration. Something I think we all should do from time to time.

The format was a little daunting at first with ideas for journaling and poems and aphorisms on each verso page, and continuing of the book on the verso. Still, I would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to take a little journey into themselves, and looking for a tool to ai
M. Jane Colette
Aug 25, 2016 M. Jane Colette rated it really liked it
OK, here’s the thing. I hate journaling. I am not spiritual. I am all wet from this book. So… like, I think you should read it. It clearly entered my life at just the right time. So... read this book. Grab a pen, notebook and start to journal.

I'm giving it four stars instead of five because of formatting: the book is designed so that the right pages are the continuing narrative and the left pages are exercises / meditations etc -- and I can see why that seemed a good idea... but it's not, it mak
Karen Okamoto
Aug 11, 2008 Karen Okamoto rated it really liked it
Shelves: july
Christina Baldwin has written journals since she was 12 years old. During her journal writing she learned to reach deeply within herself, as well as extending herself outward in journeys that helped her develop herself more completely spiritually and emotionally and in numerous other ways as well.
The book also gives excerpts from other journals as well; famous people, and ordinary individuals, ....each with a story to tell, and emotions and feelings to explore.

Very thought provoking.
Leigh
Aug 31, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journaling
This book is the best book I've read on spiritual journeying. The divided page format worked well for me as I would read all the right-side chapter story pages first, and then go back and read the left page exercises and quotes. Christina Baldwin is a leader in the journaling for yourself category and this book is clearly one of the standards. I bought this book first in the nineties and have gone back and reread chapters over and over.
Viviann
Mar 02, 2013 Viviann rated it it was amazing
An excellent book to get one back on track re: journal writing. I have read this book at least four times, probably more like six and each time I find something new to learn and do. This is an excellent book for those who want to improve their awareness of their spiritual journey, the one that parallels the physical journeying we are doing everyday of our lives.
Josephine Ensign
Feb 03, 2016 Josephine Ensign rated it really liked it
An excellent and still relevant guide to journal writing. I especially love how she set up the book with the right-hand pages being a continuous narrative, and the left-hand pages being a series of exercises, questions, and writing techniques. I liked this (academic library) book so much I bought the 'actual' book to keep in my home library.
Cindy
Jul 25, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
All journal writers will find something about this book to love. New journal writers will appreciate the prompts to help them write their thoughts and motivations. I carried this one around with me for a couple of months.
etherealfire
Jul 18, 2014 etherealfire rated it it was amazing
I own this book and read it circa 1998. Beautifully written and inspiring little meditations on writing from a personal, spiritually authentic perception. On a list to re-read and journal along with it again when I get the chance to see where I'm at on the journey.
Melissa Miller
Mar 06, 2013 Melissa Miller rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It does take some getting used to, as it is arranged with notes/journal entries/prompts on the left and the text on the right. I highly recommend this book, if you keep a journal or want to expand your journal keeping to include spirituality.
Judy
Feb 24, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
Love the innovative approach to the volume--and was just what I needed right (write?!) now; & she's a resource person right in my own back yard. So lucky to have happened upon this one randomly...
Will refer back to it often, I think. Thank you, Christina!
Moyne Crossroads
Aug 04, 2013 Moyne Crossroads rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginning journalers, personal coaches, psychotherapists
I highly recommend this book to those new to the process of journaling. I read the 1990 version, and at the risk of sounding overly dramatic, this book helped re-orient myself in the world. The exercises, combined with Baldwin's purposeful guidance, make for a rich and rewarding experience.
Lisa
Aug 21, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
just when i thought i knew all there was to journal about! fresh ideas, honoring insights and yummy questions to stimulate anyone's journaling practice.
Christi
This is an awesome book. I am on a new spiritual journey and this book helps me put my experience down in words and helps me watch myself grow
Maurie
Feb 13, 2014 Maurie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Just read bits and pieces of this one. Will most likely pick it up and read more at some point. Some of it resonated with me, some of it didn't.
Akilah
Nov 02, 2010 Akilah rated it really liked it
I haven't done any of the journaling exercises yet, but this was a really interesting and thoughtful read.
Lindy
Aug 19, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it
Definitely a writting tool for thinking outside the box and gaining spiritual maturity and enlightenment.
Kathleen Laughran
Kathleen Laughran rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Scharenjo
Scharenjo rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
JoHanna
JoHanna rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • The New Diary: How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity
  • Writing for Your Life: Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection
  • Note to Self: On Keeping a Journal and Other Dangerous Pursuits
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • A Life of One's Own
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Plots, Characters and Complications
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries