Start by marking “Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice

Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In this classic book you will discover the intimate journey of personal and spiritual development that is possible through the practice of journal writing. In Life’s Companion, acclaimed author Christina Baldwin offers readers guidance and inspiration to this powerful way of expanding our inner horizons and opening our minds and spirits to a deeper relationship with the wo ...more
Published December 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Life's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Companion

Helynne
I have always been a dedicated--well, compulsive--journal keeper, so I thought this book would be a natural for me. It was. In fact, I was so impressed by this collection of suggestions, quotations, sacred meditations, etc., in the library copy I checked out, that I had to run out and buy my own copy of the book, and send one to my daughter as well.
This is more than just a guide to finding more personal spirituality through regular personal journal entries. It is a guided quest for self-discov
Autumn
By far the best journalling book I have encountered, with meaningful prompts that go beyond the typical domains of journal-writing from thoughts/feelings/emotions/behaviours to explore the connected self, both inner and outer connectedness. Also interspersed are inspirational quotes and short narratives, making it impossible not to want to explore the spiritual self.
Jeanne
This is the type of book that makes me rub my hands together in anticipation. The format of experiential exercises and quotes on one side and a textual discussion on the other throughout the book is inviting. There is a juxtaposition of theory in the discussion and expression opportunity in the activities that I find an engaging way to learn. The mandala art throughout the book made me choose an unlined book so that I could make my own drawings.

The author's sharing of her intra-personal developm
Crystal
Oct 08, 2013 Crystal added it
Shelves: memoir-writing
I have reviewed this book as a reference for my thesis. I would highly recommend using the book to accomplish a sacred spiritual journey. This book is not so much to the shaping of a memoir but for the use of keeping a journal and discovering meaning in one's own writing. I am looking forward to putting into practice many of the suggestions in this text.
Andee
I really like this book, if you need help getting started or unstuck in writing a journal, art journal or blog, this book could be most helpful. If you have a story to be told and don't know how to get it onto paper, this book just might help you get it there.
Daniela
I skimmed over this book more than I read it page to page, but I will surely come back to it every once in a while in the future.
The layout is very original - on the right you have the ongoing text and on the left there are quotes, examples of journal entries and questions you can ask yourself in your own journal. Some might find this confusing, but I found it very enjoyable. Some of the chapters were great and of use to me - for example the chapter on "Finding your people" and "The guidance of
Debra
Author Christina Baldwin says in her introduction that “The spiritual journey is what the soul is up to while we attend to daily living.” In this fast-paced McWorld, daily living tends to take precedence over spiritual reflection. In fact, it almost seems a guilty pleasure to read a quiet, thoughtful book about how to get in touch with one’s spiritual life; to peel down the layers and really ponder choices, goals, and fantasies. But this is exactly what this book does in an elegant, thoughtful w ...more
JayeL
Jan 19, 2011 JayeL added it
Shelves: 2009, abandoned
This is, primarily, a book for someone who does not have a journal practice. for those who already write in a journal or diary on a regular basis, some of the exercises and suggestions for carving out time to write are unnecessary.

There are sections discussing topics, which are interesting and helpful.

One of the difficulties I had in reading this book is that the book has two different books going at the same time. One narrative is on the right pages and the other is on the left. I started readi
Carrie
This book is an example that sometimes you are not ready to read a book. I started reading this book 16 years ago when I was in my early twenties. I struggled with it and finally gave up for over a decade. A few years ago I picked it up again for a second attempt, still could not finish it. But today I did and it resonated with me for the first time. Now I'm ready to pick out a personal journal and follow the journaling practices in the book. The book has a lot of new age elements but even a rat ...more
Karen Okamoto
Christina Baldwin has written journals since she was 12 years old. During her journal writing she learned to reach deeply within herself, as well as extending herself outward in journeys that helped her develop herself more completely spiritually and emotionally and in numerous other ways as well.
The book also gives excerpts from other journals as well; famous people, and ordinary individuals, ....each with a story to tell, and emotions and feelings to explore.

Very thought provoking.
Leigh
This book is the best book I've read on spiritual journeying. The divided page format worked well for me as I would read all the right-side chapter story pages first, and then go back and read the left page exercises and quotes. Christina Baldwin is a leader in the journaling for yourself category and this book is clearly one of the standards. I bought this book first in the nineties and have gone back and reread chapters over and over.
Viviann
An excellent book to get one back on track re: journal writing. I have read this book at least four times, probably more like six and each time I find something new to learn and do. This is an excellent book for those who want to improve their awareness of their spiritual journey, the one that parallels the physical journeying we are doing everyday of our lives.
Moyne Crossroads
Aug 04, 2013 Moyne Crossroads rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning journalers, personal coaches, psychotherapists
I highly recommend this book to those new to the process of journaling. I read the 1990 version, and at the risk of sounding overly dramatic, this book helped re-orient myself in the world. The exercises, combined with Baldwin's purposeful guidance, make for a rich and rewarding experience.
Melissa Miller
I really enjoyed this book. It does take some getting used to, as it is arranged with notes/journal entries/prompts on the left and the text on the right. I highly recommend this book, if you keep a journal or want to expand your journal keeping to include spirituality.
Etherealfire
I own this book and read it circa 1998. Beautifully written and inspiring little meditations on writing from a personal, spiritually authentic perception. On a list to re-read and journal along with it again when I get the chance to see where I'm at on the journey.
Cindy
All journal writers will find something about this book to love. New journal writers will appreciate the prompts to help them write their thoughts and motivations. I carried this one around with me for a couple of months.
Lisa
just when i thought i knew all there was to journal about! fresh ideas, honoring insights and yummy questions to stimulate anyone's journaling practice.
Maurie
Just read bits and pieces of this one. Will most likely pick it up and read more at some point. Some of it resonated with me, some of it didn't.
Christi
This is an awesome book. I am on a new spiritual journey and this book helps me put my experience down in words and helps me watch myself grow
Lindy
Definitely a writting tool for thinking outside the box and gaining spiritual maturity and enlightenment.
Akilah
I haven't done any of the journaling exercises yet, but this was a really interesting and thoughtful read.
Leslie
this is one of my favorite journaling books. I come back to it again and again
Terry
I have the newest version and am enjoying it so far.
Sandra
Another great book on journaling for the serious journaler.
K
I loved this book.
David Brady
David Brady marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Lindsey Jobbins
Lindsey Jobbins marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Elizabeth Valencia
Elizabeth Valencia marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
TM
TM added it
May 15, 2015
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • The New Diary: How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity.
  • Writing for Your Life: Discovering the Story of Your Life's Journey
  • Creative Journal Writing: The Art and Heart of Reflection
  • Writing Down Your Soul: How to Activate and Listen to the Extraordinary Voice Within
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Note to Self: On Keeping a Journal and Other Dangerous Pursuits
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth
  • A Life of One's Own
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture The Seven Whispers: A Spiritual Practice for Times Like These The Circle Way: A Leader in Every Chair One to One: Self-Understanding Through Journal Writing