Start by marking “This Old Man--” as Want to Read:
This Old Man--

This Old Man--

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ten old men in colorful outfits are featured with the text of this traditional counting song. Each illustration features a die-cut through which the next old man can be seen.
Published June 26th 1974 by Child's Play International (first published June 1974)

To ask other readers questions about This Old Man--, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Old Man--

Vivian
Nov 20, 2014 Vivian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Our library pre-school age story time crowd was at a loss when it came to doing the actions to this song. We had to s l o w down the actions. We "clapped" for "knick-knack". We "slapped" legs for "paddy whack". We "pointed a thumb" over our shoulder for "give a dog a bone". We "rolled" arms for "came rolling home". I suppose we could have "made a beard" motion with a hand for "this old man", but I didn't think of that.

We tried to get the kids to guess what rhymed with the number. For instance "o
Camille
A song book, so that means you can sing-along or just read the lyrics. Bigger cutouts and illustrations than most of the Classic Books With Holes series, which makes it great for a small group audience. And if you've ever sung This Old Man then you know the possibilities for interaction are great.
Jamie Tedesco
Great way if learning how to count and it really seems to be helpful to use rhyming to push did counting skills. I liked how the cut outs really helped with focal points.
jacky
This was read at story time this week. The librarian had a big book version. The words were slightly different in a few places from how I learned them, but otherwise my husband and I could easily sing along. I liked the cut out holes, especially the numbers. And, this book also shows how the numbers already said add up to the new number on each page. (For example, the five page has 2+2+1 and 2+3 and 1+4).
Libby
This is much too long for my one-year-old son. It helps that I know the tune and can sing it, but he can never make it through the whole book, despite the fun holes to stick his fingers through. The fact that illustrator includes addition and the pages are so busy with illustration makes me think this book is intended for a much older child- maybe 5 years old.
Wooden Horse
My favorite part about this book was singing it aloud with my Grandma's sister and her grandson. She kept getting all tangled up in the chorus. It is the song I grew up with illustrated and bound with die-cut peek-a-boo pages.
Brittani Jordan
I like this book because it connects with counting for younger students. This book has great visual aids for counting and the pictures are big. This book also has circles and addition to help with practicing.
Joalby Phoenix
This guy is awesome. He don't care who you are or what you're going through in life. He's like "Whatever. You deal with you. I'm gonna be playing knick knack on all your stuff"
Janice
I think this book is fun, but for some reason my daughter seems a little afraid of the old men
Susan
die-cuts are interesting, but get a little busy and confusing as the book progresses.
Jenny
Wasn't a big fan of the pictures but I did like the counting/holes.
Cws
Jul 09, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jenf
JENF-Ada
I Love
I Love marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly Old MacDonald Had a Farm The Gingerbread Man This Is the House That Jack Built The Farmer in the Dell