Start by marking “This Old Man--” as Want to Read:
This Old Man--

This Old Man--

Ten old men in colorful outfits are featured with the text of this traditional counting song. Each illustration features a die-cut through which the next old man can be seen.
Published June 26th 1974 by Child's Play International (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about This Old Man--, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Old Man--

Vivian
Nov 20, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Our library pre-school age story time crowd was at a loss when it came to doing the actions to this song. We had to s l o w down the actions. We "clapped" for "knick-knack". We "slapped" legs for "paddy whack". We "pointed a thumb" over our shoulder for "give a dog a bone". We "rolled" arms for "came rolling home". I suppose we could have "made a beard" motion with a hand for "this old man", but I didn't think of that.

We tried to get the kids to guess what rhymed with the number. For instance "o
jacky
Mar 18, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
This was read at story time this week. The librarian had a big book version. The words were slightly different in a few places from how I learned them, but otherwise my husband and I could easily sing along. I liked the cut out holes, especially the numbers. And, this book also shows how the numbers already said add up to the new number on each page. (For example, the five page has 2+2+1 and 2+3 and 1+4).
Libby
Sep 30, 2009 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is much too long for my one-year-old son. It helps that I know the tune and can sing it, but he can never make it through the whole book, despite the fun holes to stick his fingers through. The fact that illustrator includes addition and the pages are so busy with illustration makes me think this book is intended for a much older child- maybe 5 years old.
Wooden Horse
My favorite part about this book was singing it aloud with my Grandma's sister and her grandson. She kept getting all tangled up in the chorus. It is the song I grew up with illustrated and bound with die-cut peek-a-boo pages.
Camille
Jun 02, 2014 Camille rated it really liked it
A song book, so that means you can sing-along or just read the lyrics. Bigger cutouts and illustrations than most of the Classic Books With Holes series, which makes it great for a small group audience. And if you've ever sung This Old Man then you know the possibilities for interaction are great.
Brittani Jordan
Jun 11, 2012 Brittani Jordan rated it really liked it
I like this book because it connects with counting for younger students. This book has great visual aids for counting and the pictures are big. This book also has circles and addition to help with practicing.
Jamie Tedesco
Jan 10, 2014 Jamie Tedesco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Great way if learning how to count and it really seems to be helpful to use rhyming to push did counting skills. I liked how the cut outs really helped with focal points.
Jim Sibigtroth
Illustrated version of "This Old Man..He Played One..." with a few simple math facts in the illustrations.
Cws
Jul 09, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jenf
JENF-Ada
Sylvester
May 27, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
3* art
3* song

We had fun singing along to this. Squirt wanted to turn the pages all by himself - no room for me in the rocking chair!! Lots of colour and a great band playing the song.
Jenny
Feb 27, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
Wasn't a big fan of the pictures but I did like the counting/holes.
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
childhood favorite
Joalby Phoenix
Apr 20, 2012 Joalby Phoenix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guy is awesome. He don't care who you are or what you're going through in life. He's like "Whatever. You deal with you. I'm gonna be playing knick knack on all your stuff"
Cristina Stokes
Cristina Stokes rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Molly Rose
Molly Rose rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Aurora
Aurora rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Hero
Hero rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Tammra
Tammra rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2007
Janice
Aug 04, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: sierra-s-books
I think this book is fun, but for some reason my daughter seems a little afraid of the old men
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
M
M rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Matt Piechocinski
Matt Piechocinski rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Peter J Casey
Peter J Casey rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016