Start by marking “Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality

Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality

A leading spiritual writer recovers "The Desert Way of Believing" -- the spiritual pathway discovered by early Christian monks who lived in the Egyptian desert that is still relevant to Christians today. Alan Jones distills the elements that made this fully orthodox way of inner transformation a unique and important part of the early church. Refreshingly readable and fille ...more
Published May 10th 1989 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Soul Making, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Making

John Kennedy
Apr 13, 2010 John Kennedy rated it really liked it
This 25-year-old book was recommended to me, and I'm grateful. Jones says, "one of the ways by which we are encouraged to forget our true worth and are seduced into trying to build up our 'dignity' is in the practice of religion." Jones admits to finding it increasingly difficult to feel at home with fellow Christians while becoming more comfortable with non-Christians. The two characteristics he admires most in both kinds of people are honesty and reverence. Jones is saddened by Christians who ...more
Nate
Jul 19, 2009 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-life
Good book about confronting the ambiguities and complexities of the spiritual life. I can't think of anybody who shouldn't read this. Jones grounds his perspective in the life of the ancient desert-dwelling monks who were confronted with their own personal difficulties regularly, but who also learned that by putting to death their fleshly tendencies, they were able to experience the true love of God and communal interdependence. This is a great book for any Christian who feels like their express ...more
Charlanne
I could potentially give this book more stars because I love the point this author makes, but it gets lost a little in his language and non-linear expression. So, some artsy and poetic and such would enjoy his metaphors in the desert way of faith and belief, or the desert journey to faith, but it can be hard to follow. Plus, he uses many psychological references which aren't as accessible to everyone.
Lindsey
Oct 04, 2007 Lindsey rated it liked it
I am editing my initial response to this book. i loved it last year, but it's interesting b/c my response is different this year. i don't really want to hear the voice of a skeptic...not that i'd say he is a skeptic...but, he walks a line that if he leaned slightly to one side, he could easily capture and enter that voice. we'll see.
Linda
Aug 31, 2014 Linda added it
this book came to me when i most needed it. it is full of lovely as well as excruciating wisdom. it had the effect of soothing my soul and helping my spiritual growth and renewal.
i recommend Soul Making for anyone in search of honesty and authenticity.
Amy
Apr 17, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
This book helped me through a spiritual "desert" time. It not only gave me perspective on the Desert Fathers who went into the desert to be with God, but also some great psychological insights into why I doubt, why I seek, and why I will never stop asking questions to God and about God.
Carol
Jul 23, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
One of the most impacting books when I moved from being Baptist to Anglican. Such startling and comforting revelations about the cyclical nature of spiritual growth. Or I guess I should say spiral as you may end up back where you started, but you are definitely in a different place.
Jill
Jun 09, 2010 Jill rated it liked it
Took me a while to get through this non-fiction book. It is rather deep and thought provoking. Some themes in the book that touched me were "joy", "shame" and different meanings and levels of "conversion".
LynneCharlise
LynneCharlise rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Cindy Ostrowski
Cindy Ostrowski rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Charles Dean
Jan 21, 2013 Charles Dean rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
I just had a hard time with this book - often, I didn't understand where he was going.
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2007
Stephanie Berbec
Stephanie Berbec rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Trevor Mauss
Trevor Mauss rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
Stanislauce
Stanislauce rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2012
Kelsie
Kelsie rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2007
Brent
Brent rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2007
Bryandthou
Bryandthou rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2007
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Justin Swanstrom
Justin Swanstrom rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2016
Lewis Lea
Lewis Lea rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Kellye Fabian
Kellye Fabian rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Deanna Drake
Deanna Drake rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Victoria Weinstein
Victoria Weinstein rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Tam's Literary Adventures
Tam's Literary Adventures rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Scott Harris
Scott Harris rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Meditations with Meister Eckhart
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • The Art of Reading Scripture
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality
  • Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One Another and Other Lessons from the Desert Fathers
  • Soultypes: Matching Your Personality and Spiritual Path