Start by marking “Diving In (Kate Cann Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Diving In (Kate Cann Trilogy)

Diving In (Art & Coll #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  818 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Coll thinks the boy she sees swimming every Thursday night is completely gorgeous - long and lean, powerful and strong. He becomes the fantasy that takes her out of her ordinary day-to-day existence. And then he asks her out, and the dream becomes reality. Art is strong and powerful, and he's also quite pushy. Just what is Coll getting into?
Published June 17th 2005 by Point (first published April 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Diving In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diving In

Rebecca- Books
There isn't really a story for this one. I just saw it, thought I'd give it a go. The End. Sorry.
Anyway...there are a series of them...somehow? Because well it ended like that's the end. Nothing more else could happen...but something else obviously does. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel :S

To be honest, I found it flat. And boring. I know some of Kate Cann's other stuff which is supposed to be so good but this...well it didn't live up to my expectations. I found a few spelling mistakes - a pe...more
Mateja

I read this entire series for the first time nearly a decade ago. Back then all I basically read were adult romance novels because it was hard to find a good YA book in any of the libraries near my hometown. Art & Coll series was one of the rare ones I could find that was written for a younger audience that also dealt with romantic relationships.

This book is a story about a flawed relationship between two young characters. They are trying to overcome the differences between them, f...more
Beth
Heroine Coll, influenced by her feminist-to-the-point-of-man-hating mom, rightly believes that her first sexual relationship should go beyond the physical and as she holds out for "holistic sex," her boyfriend Art, a former player, becomes more and more frustrated. Much of the first book is taken up with the struggle between head, heart and hormones.

In book number two, when Coll and Art do finally become lovers, the intensity of the relationship becomes too much for baggage-laden Art who skips...more
Nicola
Diving In’s protagonist Coll is a keen swimmer, but that’s not really the point of the novel, because swimming is a metaphor – A METAPHOR – for her awakening sexuality.

Coll is athletic and down-to-earth, from a family of working-class lefties. Art is rich and callous, content to skate by on his good looks. The plotline of Diving In is an old chestnut of a trope: when they fall in love, Coll’s innate goodness “fixes” Art’s innate badness. The thing is, I don’t hate tropes if they’re well done. Ka...more
Kattie
Coll, short for Collet has had a crush on a mystery man that mostly always goes to the pool on thursdays. she's never made contact with him untill she bumped into him. she finds out coll is rich and has had sex before, unlike her. she feels as if he doesn't feel the same way for her as she does to him.
Art (mystery man), short for Aurther, keeps asking to do IT with him bur shes not ready yet. He kind of
lies to Coll and tricks her into a cabbin with two bedrooms; one for her parents and one for...more
Kate R.
The only character I found likable in this was the mother.
Collete was annoying, paranoid, and overreacted to everything, while at the same time subjected herself to being mistreated.
Art was moody, rude, pressuring, arrogant etc. etc. Besides his apparent good looks, he was simply not a nice person. I don't know why anyone would fall for him. Looks aren't everything.
I loved the mother. She was very funny, and in addition, had a simply kick-ass rant at the end about the importance of sex. And s...more
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove...more
Erica
I don't really have a lot to say about this one, it was a cute book. After awhile it just got a little old, Coll, the main character, spent the entire book was debating with herself about the guy she sees swimming, Art. At different times I wanted to scream at Coll, "Just make up your mind already!" It's a fun read for a lazy summer afternoon. I want to know where Art & Coll's story goes next, this is the first book of the trilogy.
Michelle Sallay
I really enjoyed this. I loved how it was written before cell phones and the internet, and I honestly didn't think there were any books like this in the late 90s.

I like Kate's writing style and I enjoyed the characters very much. I just bought the next two in the series for more of them.
Jayde BEERS
This book was a good read but I have to say to me it wasn't a phenomenal read. There were some parts that got on my nerves and and left me thinking what the hell is wrong with all these characters. I do plan on reading the next books in this series but it's not a must on my list at the moment. I think with all the contemporary books that are out there now that I have read, this one just didn't live up to my expectations. All in all it is a cute read that discusses many different teen troubles wh...more
Leah Walker
I dont know how to feel about this book? Veryyy confused...
First of all Art was creepy/attractive throughout?
Then it all came out and i hated him but then i thought hmm but you havent heard everything from him... Then he kinda maybe just almost redeemed himself at the end? I have to continue coz ive started but he has a lot of redeeming to do.
I did this in one sitting so it felt like an intro which i feel it is, nothing more. But a good introduction (y) im just peeved i havent got the other book...more
April
Jun 11, 2011 April rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick flick lovers and summertime summer readers
Recommended to April by: no-one
Shelves: 2011-books-read
it is a chick book, but its a good book to begin summer with.

The story is about a girl, Colette (Coll) who likes a boy Arthur (Art) that she sees at a local swimming center. She accidentally bumps into him and blah blah blah, shes dating him. In the first few chapters her friend talk about sex, but no one has "Dived in." Another thing is, she comes from a mother, who's really femaleness, or in other words think that the world would do better if the world were all female. Coll find herself split...more
Oona
A fun, quick read. I enjoyed it.
You really got to get to know the characters, which I liked. One of my favorite's was Coll's mother. I enjoyed how she really became the hero.
I absolutely LOVED the chapter when Coll and her mom went over to Art's place. I really got into all the yelling. :)
They should really make an American version, though. Both of my parents are British, so they tend to use the terms seen in this book, but if I hadn't I would probably have to look some of them up.
Breanna Cocagne
I read this book when I was in the fourth grade, so I was around 8 or 9 years old. Yes, that is far too young for a book of this subject in most cases but I remember just becoming absolutely engrossed in it and I read through the series so fast and its still one of the most memorable books Ive ever read. I literally could not put it down, and I would recommend it. Not to any other 8 year olds obviously, but It was a fantastic read.
Adelaide Black
Literally loved this book..
Quite enjoyed this. I thought Colette's voice was fairly real and engaging. The plot was a bit predictable and the Moral came through a bit heavily at times, but it was funny and interesting enough to keep me reading until the end. Doubt I will bother with any of the sequels, in which Coll will undoubtedly be forced to dump Art after Realising The Depth of her True Feelings for that other chap, the one she was 'just friends' with who was so kind and funny and amazing, although not as attractive.
Deborah Fletcher
The story starts as all good stories do with a boy and a girl.I came apon this as i was looking through the library, and I would reccomend this book to people aged 14 to 18, because it's a chick flick... but i think older people could fing interest in it. All in all its not a bad book, this happen to also be my one of my first chick flick book, not bad, a little predictable, but not all the way, not a bad book, i do believe that it could have been told in shorter pages thought, lots of filler.
Mack
It was a bit hard to get in to 'the right groove' in the begining (sorry didn't know how else to express it, I know it sounds corny). But when I really gave it a shot I found myself liking it a lot. Sure I thought Coll was annoying as fudge when she was all "Oh how can HE a super hot god like ME, He is so handsome I don't deserve him" and so on and so on but eventually I could look past that and that's when I started to enjoy the book for real. If you like chick lit and romance give it a shot!
Jen Hicks
I loved this book when I read it the first time and it is just as powerful on the second read. This book, probably more than any YA book I've read before, captures perfectly the emotional intensity that comes with falling in love - the fear, the elation, the doubt, the passion and in Col's case, the danger of losing your own identity. Col shares every detail of her turbulent journey with us and it's addictive reading.
Emily C.
Feb 11, 2008 Emily C. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people 13+
I looovveed this book. It's about a girl names Collete who swims and for a while she has been ogling a boy who swims in the lane next to her who she called Achilles (but his real name is Art (short for Arthur)). One day, to her great surprise, Art asks her out. The book is basically about teenage dating troubles.
Tressa
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Love Trilogy #1: Ready? until near the end of the story. I actually ended up liking it and I liked the message that the story delivered. I'm curious to find out what happens next so I plan on reading the next book in the trilogy.
Anastasia Adams
First book of the trilogy and I loved it!!The story was a bit naff (the whole concept of girl falling in love with a boy from swimming pool) Over all every teenage girl can pretty much relate to everything that Coll goes through in this book and the two that follow on.
Nicky
Not bad for a book I got free with It's Bliss magazine. A lot of the other girls in my class at school got the book free too and it caused quite a stir as it involved some heavy petting.
Gabi Meškauskaitė
This book had a good message but other than that I thought the whole book was too dramatic and I didn't find it very interesting. I really don't have much to say about it.
Loraine
This book came free on a magazine that I bought as a teenager. I was probably about 14 when I read it and at the time enjoyed the story. A typical teen first love story.
lia Vain
I thought the ending was great and the character that interested me the most is Collet's mother because she diffended her daughter like she really ment it.
Alexis
Dec 05, 2008 Alexis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-books
Hailzee~
What is this book about? I have heard of it but I haven't heard what it is actually about. I think it was from u that i heard it from too!
Frankie
One of the best books I´ve ever read. Read it when I was 15 and it captured everything that was going on in my head at that moment.
Kirsty
Great book about a girl who has a crush on the guy who swims in the lane next to her. Deals with teen relationships well.
Rosie
very quick read that is very effective and shows a true understanding of a teen and how the pressure of sex is put on them.
  • Tourist Trap
  • Hard to Get
  • Perfect Shot
  • Mates, Dates, and Sizzling Summers (Mates, Dates, #12)
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #3)
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Snow in Love
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Sea of Love (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Killer Cruise
  • Better Latte Than Never
  • 30 Guys in 30 Days
  • Dancing Queen
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Sara's Face
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school...more
More about Kate Cann...
Possessed (Rayne, #1) Spanish Holiday: Or, How I Transformed the Worst Vacation Ever into the Best Summer of My Life In the Deep End (Art & Coll, # 2) Grecian Holiday: Or, How I Turned Down the Best Possible Thing Only to Have the Time of My Life California Holiday: Or, How the World's Worst Summer Job Gave Me a Great New Life

“Sometimes when they all talk I feel like shouting, 'so your life went wrong—why assume mine will? Maybe it’ll work for me!' But this would only invite a pitying smile, and a 'she’ll learn' comment. You can’t win with them. You can’t even compete.” 7 likes
“The moment had passed. But it had happened.” 4 likes