Start by marking “Diving In (Kate Cann Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Diving In (Kate Cann Trilogy)

Diving In (Art & Coll #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,001 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Coll thinks the boy she sees swimming every Thursday night is completely gorgeous - long and lean, powerful and strong. He becomes the fantasy that takes her out of her ordinary day-to-day existence. And then he asks her out, and the dream becomes reality. Art is strong and powerful, and he's also quite pushy. Just what is Coll getting into?
Published June 17th 2005 by Point (first published 1996)

The Au Pairs by Melissa de la CruzGhost in the Polka Dot Bikini by Sue Ann JaffarianLove On The Rocks by Veronica HenryJane Austen Goes to Hollywood by Abby McDonaldMaking Waves by Katherine Applegate
Swimwear
34th out of 52 books — 3 voters
Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Taming of the Shrew by William ShakespeareHenry V by William ShakespeareThe Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia FraserThe Awakening by Kate Chopin
Kiss Me Kate
110th out of 168 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca- Books
Aug 08, 2016 Rebecca- Books rated it it was ok
There isn't really a story for this one. I just saw it, thought I'd give it a go. The End. Sorry.
Anyway...there are a series of them...somehow? Because well it ended like that's the end. Nothing more else could happen...but something else obviously does. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel :S

To be honest, I found it flat. And boring. I know some of Kate Cann's other stuff which is supposed to be so good but this...well it didn't live up to my expectations. I found a few spelling mistakes - a pe
Kate R.
Mar 27, 2013 Kate R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-so-serious
The only character I found likable in this was the mother.
Collete was annoying, paranoid, and overreacted to everything, while at the same time subjected herself to being mistreated.
Art was moody, rude, pressuring, arrogant etc. etc. Besides his apparent good looks, he was simply not a nice person. I don't know why anyone would fall for him. Looks aren't everything.
I loved the mother. She was very funny, and in addition, had a simply kick-ass rant at the end about the importance of sex. And s
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heroine Coll, influenced by her feminist-to-the-point-of-man-hating mom, rightly believes that her first sexual relationship should go beyond the physical and as she holds out for "holistic sex," her boyfriend Art, a former player, becomes more and more frustrated. Much of the first book is taken up with the struggle between head, heart and hormones.

In book number two, when Coll and Art do finally become lovers, the intensity of the relationship becomes too much for baggage-laden Art who skips
Nicola
Diving In’s protagonist Coll is a keen swimmer, but that’s not really the point of the novel, because swimming is a metaphor – A METAPHOR – for her awakening sexuality.

Coll is athletic and down-to-earth, from a family of working-class lefties. Art is rich and callous, content to skate by on his good looks. The plotline of Diving In is an old chestnut of a trope: when they fall in love, Coll’s innate goodness “fixes” Art’s innate badness. The thing is, I don’t hate tropes if they’re well done. Ka
Shavony
Kattie
Coll, short for Collet has had a crush on a mystery man that mostly always goes to the pool on thursdays. she's never made contact with him untill she bumped into him. she finds out coll is rich and has had sex before, unlike her. she feels as if he doesn't feel the same way for her as she does to him.
Art (mystery man), short for Aurther, keeps asking to do IT with him bur shes not ready yet. He kind of
lies to Coll and tricks her into a cabbin with two bedrooms; one for her parents and one for
~ Odette Knappers
Jul 31, 2016 ~ Odette Knappers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before my reading journal, aka before 2005, zo I was younger than 15 when reading all the (translated) books of Kate Cann and I can remember loving them!
Ian Wood
Jul 14, 2014 Ian Wood rated it did not like it
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here. Graphic and children's novels reviewed on the blog will generally have some images from the book's interior, which are not reproduced here.

Note that I don't really do stars. To me a novel is either worth reading or it isn't. I can't rate a nove
Erica
Aug 03, 2009 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really have a lot to say about this one, it was a cute book. After awhile it just got a little old, Coll, the main character, spent the entire book was debating with herself about the guy she sees swimming, Art. At different times I wanted to scream at Coll, "Just make up your mind already!" It's a fun read for a lazy summer afternoon. I want to know where Art & Coll's story goes next, this is the first book of the trilogy.
Michelle Sallay
Apr 17, 2013 Michelle Sallay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-blog
I really enjoyed this. I loved how it was written before cell phones and the internet, and I honestly didn't think there were any books like this in the late 90s.

I like Kate's writing style and I enjoyed the characters very much. I just bought the next two in the series for more of them.
Hannah
Note to self: never decide to reread any of the books I was obsessed with when I was 14 ever again.
Jayde BEERS
Aug 12, 2014 Jayde BEERS rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good read but I have to say to me it wasn't a phenomenal read. There were some parts that got on my nerves and and left me thinking what the hell is wrong with all these characters. I do plan on reading the next books in this series but it's not a must on my list at the moment. I think with all the contemporary books that are out there now that I have read, this one just didn't live up to my expectations. All in all it is a cute read that discusses many different teen troubles wh ...more
Cornelia
Aug 02, 2015 Cornelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 2015
3.5 stjärnor.

Skeptisk och rätt så irriterad av vår huvudkaraktär i början. Men desto mer jag läste, desto mer gillade jag den. Det var att den kändes realistisk och ärlig. Även om man kan ifrågasätt vad hon egentligen ser i Art. Hursomhelst, älskade jag de sista kapitlen, speciellt den när mamma sparkar in dörren och skrämmer livet ur de där nollorna. Go Moms!

Harmlös och utmärkt om du vill trigga igång lässuget efter en mindre svacka.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
When my older sister was the age that I am now, Shee read this book. I knew about the mature themes involved but what felt right about reading the book was that I was ready to know about these things. 'Diving In' is about a young girl called Collete who isn't afraid to speak her mind, which I admire very much so about her. All in all, I loved reading this book. And would for sure name it as one of my favourites! :)
Leah Walker
I dont know how to feel about this book? Veryyy confused...
First of all Art was creepy/attractive throughout?
Then it all came out and i hated him but then i thought hmm but you havent heard everything from him... Then he kinda maybe just almost redeemed himself at the end? I have to continue coz ive started but he has a lot of redeeming to do.
I did this in one sitting so it felt like an intro which i feel it is, nothing more. But a good introduction (y) im just peeved i havent got the other book
April
Jun 11, 2011 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick flick lovers and summertime summer readers
Recommended to April by: no-one
Shelves: 2011-books-read
it is a chick book, but its a good book to begin summer with.

The story is about a girl, Colette (Coll) who likes a boy Arthur (Art) that she sees at a local swimming center. She accidentally bumps into him and blah blah blah, shes dating him. In the first few chapters her friend talk about sex, but no one has "Dived in." Another thing is, she comes from a mother, who's really femaleness, or in other words think that the world would do better if the world were all female. Coll find herself split
Mojca99
Quite interesting, great for a slump, light reading, but a little depresing at times. I liked the fact that Coll and Art decide to try over with their relationship.

NOTE: Art is one of my fictional boyfriends.
oona
Jan 05, 2014 oona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read. I enjoyed it.
You really got to get to know the characters, which I liked. One of my favorite's was Coll's mother. I enjoyed how she really became the hero.
I absolutely LOVED the chapter when Coll and her mom went over to Art's place. I really got into all the yelling. :)
They should really make an American version, though. Both of my parents are British, so they tend to use the terms seen in this book, but if I hadn't I would probably have to look some of them up.
Chloe Pope
Sep 08, 2015 Chloe Pope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the fifth time i've read it but i still think its a great boo, with some great twists in it
Breanna Cocagne
Apr 25, 2014 Breanna Cocagne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in the fourth grade, so I was around 8 or 9 years old. Yes, that is far too young for a book of this subject in most cases but I remember just becoming absolutely engrossed in it and I read through the series so fast and its still one of the most memorable books Ive ever read. I literally could not put it down, and I would recommend it. Not to any other 8 year olds obviously, but It was a fantastic read.
TreasureCoveBookReviews
This book was featured as part of a Throwback Thursday post.

Check out the full review:

Happy reading =)
Carson
Similar to Forever in the shockingly truthful portrayal of adolescent girls in relationships at a relatively young age. An honest portrayal of how hard one can fall in love with someone when it's a first love. Also, read as a fictional study of the pressure put upon teen girls to embrace and flaunt their budding sexuality, especially by their boyfriends.
The first in a series from the U.K., published quite recently, readers of Forever will realize how shocking Forever truly is.
Emma Hookins
Great book to read as you are growing up!
Adelaide Black
Apr 24, 2014 Adelaide Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Literally loved this book..
Dec 02, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyed this. I thought Colette's voice was fairly real and engaging. The plot was a bit predictable and the Moral came through a bit heavily at times, but it was funny and interesting enough to keep me reading until the end. Doubt I will bother with any of the sequels, in which Coll will undoubtedly be forced to dump Art after Realising The Depth of her True Feelings for that other chap, the one she was 'just friends' with who was so kind and funny and amazing, although not as attractive.
Deborah Fletcher
Nov 09, 2011 Deborah Fletcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts as all good stories do with a boy and a girl.I came apon this as i was looking through the library, and I would reccomend this book to people aged 14 to 18, because it's a chick flick... but i think older people could fing interest in it. All in all its not a bad book, this happen to also be my one of my first chick flick book, not bad, a little predictable, but not all the way, not a bad book, i do believe that it could have been told in shorter pages thought, lots of filler.
Mack
Feb 25, 2013 Mack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was a bit hard to get in to 'the right groove' in the begining (sorry didn't know how else to express it, I know it sounds corny). But when I really gave it a shot I found myself liking it a lot. Sure I thought Coll was annoying as fudge when she was all "Oh how can HE a super hot god like ME, He is so handsome I don't deserve him" and so on and so on but eventually I could look past that and that's when I started to enjoy the book for real. If you like chick lit and romance give it a shot!
Jen Hicks
Apr 27, 2013 Jen Hicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I read it the first time and it is just as powerful on the second read. This book, probably more than any YA book I've read before, captures perfectly the emotional intensity that comes with falling in love - the fear, the elation, the doubt, the passion and in Col's case, the danger of losing your own identity. Col shares every detail of her turbulent journey with us and it's addictive reading.
Emily C.
Feb 11, 2008 Emily C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people 13+
I looovveed this book. It's about a girl names Collete who swims and for a while she has been ogling a boy who swims in the lane next to her who she called Achilles (but his real name is Art (short for Arthur)). One day, to her great surprise, Art asks her out. The book is basically about teenage dating troubles.
Katherine
This book is cute! Very YA-ish, but sometimes a light read like this one is refreshing. Very quick read and LOVED the ending. Have to know what happens next!
  • Tourist Trap
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #3)
  • Spin Control (Royally Jacked, #2)
  • Rocky Road Trip (Courtney Von Dragen Smith, #2)
  • Island Girls (and Boys)
  • Perfect Shot
  • Mates, Dates, and Sizzling Summers (Mates, Dates, #12)
  • Hard to Get
  • Tropical Kiss
  • 30 Guys in 30 Days
  • Snow in Love
  • Killer Cruise
  • Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
When I was a child, I wanted to be a witch. My first foray into writing was a series of nasty spells full of rats’ tails and bats’ wings. Then, when I turned thirteen, I began keeping a lurid diary, full of adoration or loathing, depending on who I was writing about. I used my later diaries for the Diving In trilogy.

I never thought ‘I want to be a writer’, but I loved books and writing. At school
More about Kate Cann...

Art & Coll (4 books)
  • In the Deep End (Art & Coll, # 2)
  • Sink or Swim (Art & Coll, #3)
  • Art History (Art & Coll, #4)

“Sometimes when they all talk I feel like shouting, 'so your life went wrong—why assume mine will? Maybe it’ll work for me!' But this would only invite a pitying smile, and a 'she’ll learn' comment. You can’t win with them. You can’t even compete.” 8 likes
“The moment had passed. But it had happened.” 6 likes