Start by marking “Frayed” as Want to Read:
Frayed

Frayed

“Are you the one who helped him kill the angel?”

Twenty years of repressed anger and memories. A bitter knot of hatred that binds and divides two friends. The dark secret that fuels and devastates them both.

“He killed it. I only helped him to bury it.”
Eddie's doing his best to get by, but every day the good fight just gets harder. And now there's a new burden to shoulder. G
Hardcover, Signed Edition Limited to 450 Numbered copies, 114 pages
Published April 14th 2007 by Creeping Hemlock Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Frayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frayed

Kimberly
Mar 28, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Another incredible story from Tom Piccirilli! A novella of two friends, whose lives seem to center around the rivalries between the two of them. Gray is in a "nut house", as Eddie puts it; but is he really any more unstable than Eddie? The two are compelled to compete with each other in every aspect of their lives ever since a fateful day as boys when one--or both--of them "killed an angel".

I found this book an intensely gripping read as I struggled along with the characters to understand the na
Paul Nelson
Mar 23, 2014 Paul Nelson rated it really liked it
Another cracking novella from Tom Piccirilli tells of the relationship between two close friends Gray and Eddie Cane, both are authors and Gray is currently housed in a mental institution for attempting to kill Eddie. A borderline psychotic in a clinic that more resembles a holiday camp than your average dull and dreary but functional nuthouse, but still just a touch too spooky.

The two men have a dark history that begins in a place called the Isle of Dogs, destined to return along with others in
Rade
Jan 26, 2014 Rade rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I liked the characters, I liked the setting, I liked the atmosphere, I LOVED the writing of this author, but I did not like the story's ending. I felt it was building up to something big but it sort of crashed before reaching that maximum desired altitude. It felt a bit predictable too, at least the ending did.

I will read more books by this great author. This was one of those hit or miss deals.
Bill
Nov 23, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
First Pic book and it was great. The prose was excellent and it read fast. I look forward to more from Mr. Piccirilli!!
Daniel
Oct 22, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smooth prose weaving a weird story: Piccirilli is in his element in this novella. I detected shades of the "The Night Class," one of his earlier novels which is chock-full of surreal scenes and changes in tone that throw you off the scent time and again. I'm still not sure about the ending of that one.

Piccirilli writes damn-good novellas--and by damn-good I mean intriguing, well-written, and entertaining. I do not feel like a larger person after reading this, but I do feel like I took a small tr
Char
Apr 11, 2013 Char rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas
"Are you the one who helped him kill the angel?"

This was a fantastic novella by Tom Piccirilli!

Meet two men- Gray and Eddie. Both are authors of horror and dark fiction. Both share a secret about their past. But only one is in the "bin". That would be the loony bin, as Eddie refers to it. What put Gray into such a place? You will have to read this novella to find out.

This story took some crazy turns and the reader is never quite sure what is reality and what is not. (After all, my reality may no
Ken
Aug 17, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two writers, life-long friends, life-long rivals share a dark childhood secret that fuels their love-hate relationship and fans their shared insanity.

"Frayed" is an intriguing novella that kept me guessing right up until the final paragraph.

4 STARS

Kelli
Jan 14, 2008 Kelli rated it really liked it
My thoughts on this book were, well, frayed. It's taken several days of chewing it over, but I think I've finally come to a decision. I liked it, mostly. The story is a wonderfully twisted menagerie that drags you along by your desire to know what the hell is going on. As I read, I had a few different ideas where he could go with it, really hoped he'd take one of those roads, but alas, the end was what I feared it would be--thus making it predictable and the reason for the delay and contemplatio ...more
Tim Niland
May 23, 2011 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Frayed is one of a number of digital-only releases crime and horror fiction author Tom Piccrilli has released recently. For a modest price it is a fine novella featuring Piccrilli’s usual themes of crime, the supernatural and dark humor. The two protagonists of the story are best friends and mortal enemies since childhood, both authors, who believe they killed an an angel in a deserted park in Long Island. When Gray, the writer confined to a mental institution, invites his friend/nemesis Eddie t ...more
Craig
Jun 19, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it
Frayed is a very well written short book that left me wondering if I really understood what I had read, as much of Piccirilli's work does. It's the story of two dark fantasy writers who share a dark bond from childhood, one of whom is confined to an asylum when the book starts. It's a first-person narrative, so all the bets are off as to what's real and what's a delusion. Are there really two writers or are they two personalities of one patient? Who's a patient and who's a doctor, and does it re ...more
Geoff
Feb 01, 2017 Geoff rated it liked it
A novella about two best friends who buried an angel as kids, and it has been haunting them ever since. One of the friends, has been admitted to a psychiatric ward, while the other comes to visit. This book basically is about two lifetime friends trying to come to grips with, and bury the past. But, unfortunately it's not so easy.

This book, while horror, reads like a mystery. Which, isn't surprising, since Piccirilli dabs into both the horror and mystery fields. The ending was a little predicta
Cher
Sep 26, 2016 Cher rated it it was ok
Could have been so much more interesting than it was if it had just been told in a straight forward way. Many interesting turns of phrase and a gorgeous premise, but ultimately 100 pages about writer's block and extremely unrealistic depictions of mental health facilities and professionals. Less than a paragraph about the angel. I will try other work by this author because I can see the genius in his prose, but this first experience was disappointing.
Penin
Jul 31, 2014 Penin rated it really liked it
Tom Piccirilli has got the greatest imagination! And it wasn't lost one bit on Frayed. This book was hard to put down, and I couldn't figure out how it was going to end. I had my own theories along the way but was happily surprised to be wrong.
Marisella
I sat down on break to read this, and had to walk around the rest of the day with it in my hands. I really wanted to hear about the angel...
John
Aug 26, 2012 John rated it really liked it
Secrets buried, dug out by a shovel composed of hatred and pain.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Mar 08, 2012 Elizabeth Nesbit-comer rated it did not like it
I really need to stop buying these collectable signed books. This one was at least short, but nothing really happened in the story and the ending wasn't really an ending.
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Kirk Alberts
Kirk Alberts rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Adam James
Adam James rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2014
donald bradbury
donald bradbury rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Jason Chambers
Jason Chambers rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Ritchie
Ritchie rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
Scott Tyson
Scott Tyson rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2012
Nick Cato
Nick Cato rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2008
Mrs. God (Rebi)
Mrs. God (Rebi) rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2011
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Blu
Blu rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008