Frayed

Frayed

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  10 reviews
“Are you the one who helped him kill the angel?”

Twenty years of repressed anger and memories. A bitter knot of hatred that binds and divides two friends. The dark secret that fuels and devastates them both.

“He killed it. I only helped him to bury it.”
Eddie's doing his best to get by, but every day the good fight just gets harder. And now there's a new burden to shoulder. G...more
Published April 14th 2007 by Creeping Hemlock Press (first published 2007)

Kimberly
Another incredible story from Tom Piccirilli! A novella of two friends, whose lives seem to center around the rivalries between the two of them. Gray is in a "nut house", as Eddie puts it; but is he really any more unstable than Eddie? The two are compelled to compete with each other in every aspect of their lives ever since a fateful day as boys when one--or both--of them "killed an angel".

I found this book an intensely gripping read as I struggled along with the characters to understand the na...more
Paul Nelson
Another cracking novella from Tom Piccirilli tells of the relationship between two close friends Gray and Eddie Cane, both are authors and Gray is currently housed in a mental institution for attempting to kill Eddie. A borderline psychotic in a clinic that more resembles a holiday camp than your average dull and dreary but functional nuthouse, but still just a touch too spooky.

The two men have a dark history that begins in a place called the Isle of Dogs, destined to return along with others in...more
Bill
First Pic book and it was great. The prose was excellent and it read fast. I look forward to more from Mr. Piccirilli!!
Daniel
Smooth prose weaving a weird story: Piccirilli is in his element in this novella. I detected shades of the "The Night Class," one of his earlier novels which is chock-full of surreal scenes and changes in tone that throw you off the scent time and again. I'm still not sure about the ending of that one.

Piccirilli writes damn-good novellas--and by damn-good I mean intriguing, well-written, and entertaining. I do not feel like a larger person after reading this, but I do feel like I took a small tr...more
Charlene
"Are you the one who helped him kill the angel?"

This was a fantastic novella by Tom Piccirilli!

Meet two men- Gray and Eddie. Both are authors of horror and dark fiction. Both share a secret about their past. But only one is in the "bin". That would be the loony bin, as Eddie refers to it. What put Gray into such a place? You will have to read this novella to find out.

This story took some crazy turns and the reader is never quite sure what is reality and what is not. (After all, my reality may no...more
Kelli
My thoughts on this book were, well, frayed. It's taken several days of chewing it over, but I think I've finally come to a decision. I liked it, mostly. The story is a wonderfully twisted menagerie that drags you along by your desire to know what the hell is going on. As I read, I had a few different ideas where he could go with it, really hoped he'd take one of those roads, but alas, the end was what I feared it would be--thus making it predictable and the reason for the delay and contemplatio...more
Tim Niland
Frayed is one of a number of digital-only releases crime and horror fiction author Tom Piccrilli has released recently. For a modest price it is a fine novella featuring Piccrilli’s usual themes of crime, the supernatural and dark humor. The two protagonists of the story are best friends and mortal enemies since childhood, both authors, who believe they killed an an angel in a deserted park in Long Island. When Gray, the writer confined to a mental institution, invites his friend/nemesis Eddie t...more
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I really need to stop buying these collectable signed books. This one was at least short, but nothing really happened in the story and the ending wasn't really an ending.
Marisella
I sat down on break to read this, and had to walk around the rest of the day with it in my hands. I really wanted to hear about the angel...
John
Secrets buried, dug out by a shovel composed of hatred and pain.
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
11811 (Eleven)
11811 (Eleven) marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Angel Gelique
Angel Gelique marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Rade
Rade marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Dec 09, 2013
Trent
Trent marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Jjah
Jjah added it
Oct 24, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hellboy: Emerald Hell The Last Kind Words A Choir of Ill Children The Cold Spot Every Shallow Cut

“Imagination is a cruel master to the jealous man.” 3 likes