Start by marking “The Fisherman's Testament” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman's Testament

The Fisherman's Testament

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  23 reviews
It is the year AD 62. The notorious Roman emperor Nero orders Marco Junio Vitalis, a seasoned military general, to assist him in a most peculiar legal proceeding. Vitalis interrogates an elderly Jewish fisherman called Peter, who many years earlier had been a close friend of a man known as Jesus---the same Jesus condemned to death in Jerusalem by Pontius Pilate.Loyal to th ...more
Published February 7th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman's Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman's Testament

Chris
Belief is a difficult thing. You have people who have used thier beliefs to justify killing. You have the people who thought the Rapture would occur on the 21st of May. You have the people who made fun of those end of the world believers when the end of the world didn't occur, as the majority of people in the world knew it wouldn't.

Books and movies about beliefs can be tricky things as well, in particular, fictionalized books can be tricky. At times, they can descend into thinly disguised "conve
Bruce Judisch
There are many excellent reasons César Vidal is an international bestselling author, and "The Fisherman’s Testament" is one of them.

In "The Fisherman’s Testament," Señor Vidal blends superb storytelling with Scriptural truth into a powerful novelization of Mark’s Gospel. Originally penned in Spanish, nothing is lost in translation in this novel that garnered the Martinez-Roca Spirituality Prize in 2004. Consider the first sentences of the novel for a flavor of the author and his main character:

JoséMaría BlancoWhite
Breve novela (236 pp.) que cuenta en boca del apóstol Pedro las vivencias de Jesús de Nazaret. Marcos es su intérprete delante del propio Nerón en un juicio al que se le somete a Pedro en Roma. La narración está en boca de un soldado romano apodado "el asiático" por su experiencia en esas tierras (personaje éste y su amigo que son los únicos ficticios).

Una narración muy emotiva, que puesta en boca de un simple soldado dota de un realismo añadido a la historia más grande jamás contada. Una novela
Erin Osumi-Demotte
Wonderfully Written, an Author who Knows The LORD

These are the ONLY type of Historical CHRISTIAN Fiction books that I will read. Founded completely on the Absolute TRUTH of the GOSPEL.
I search and search for books like this. Books by Authors who KNOW the LORD, who have heard, and who Hear HIS voice, I'm glad- Happy even, to have discovered (more like Led to discover) this author.
Now I'm going to BUY the book he wrote about THE APOSTLE PAUL, AND READ IT with the PEACE OF MIND that I've NOT bough
Frederick Jaxheimer
This book transformed me to Rome in the year AD 62. The Emperor is Nero and the main character is Vitalis - a seasoned military general who will be the Interrogator. Vitalis and his friend Roscius are the only true fictional characters. All the other characters are people who are documented in history by distinct and sometimes numerous historical texts. I think everyone should hear the testimony of the elderly Jewish fisherman named Petros as presented in this way. This book was a quick read but ...more
Shaun
Ageena
I wish there were 6 stars, or 7 or 8, this book would deserve every one. It is bar none the most beautifully written account of someone coming to faith through the hearing of the Word that I have ever read.

The story is of the trial of Peter before Nero and is told through the eyes of the inquisitor. The writing gave me pictures of St. Peter that I had never clearly understood before and explained the significance of the raising of Jairus's daughter in a way I had never heard and that Mark has s
Melissa
The Fisherman's Testament is a retelling of the gospel of Mark through the perspective of Marcus Junius Vitalis, a Roman military general, who is summoned by Caesar Nero to interrogate the apostle Peter. Since Peter is not fluent in Latin, he is accompanied by an interpreter (we learn later it is Mark). Vitalis starts the interrogation trying to help Nero learn of the dangers Christians pose, but as Peter relates the gospel teachings, Vitalis finds himself moved and subsequently disturbed by his ...more
Kohi
No more, no less. I could not ask for more.
He wrote the story naturally.. he did not try hard to combine fictional ideas with what is true. :)

Hilda
This was a wonderful story about Peter one of Jesus's apostles. The story is told through the voice of a Roman soldier working for the king to track down Peter in an effort to learn more about Jesus and his followers.

Peter is taken into custody and interrogated by the soldier, and through his interrogation this soldier gains a new faith in Jesus also. A great story of witnessing and the testament of faith.
Michelle
Jul 24, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Christian or non Christian who wants to know more about Christ
Wow! This was a really good read! The narrative was told from the perspective of a Roman citizen asked to assist Emperor Nero in the trial of a Nazarene named "Petros". As Petros testifies before the emperor about his relationship with his teacher, Christos, the Roman begins to explore his own beliefs. It is a moving, riveting narrative, and I could hardly put it down. Read this one!!!
Ben Dougherty
This is the summer reading book for our "Christian Scriptures" class at school. It's respectable. I relies mostly on the Gospel of Mark for its text. The translator, Kadi Kool, did an amazing job! It's an easy read, and a good way to introduce young people to the Gospel of Mark. For an adult, I think I would just recommend reading the actual gospel.
Nate Mischief
the Roman Empire, Nero's court, and a fisherman's accounts on his years spent with Jesus.

Unputdownable---this book is a creative masterpiece where Vidal's love for history, reverence truth, and devotion for Christ is found in a homogeneous mixture.

...made me cry a couple of times.

John
A great way to read the bible.

The book's content is mostly the gospel of Mark but told in a different light.

This is a must read for somebody who wants to know about the life of Jesus without holding an actual (or complete) bible.
Kitty Tomlinson
Moving fictionalized story of the trial of Simon Peter in the Roman court of Cesar Nero. Wonderfully contrasts of Roman life against Judaism (sp.??) and our modern society. Good Read.
Sherri Goffinet
This is an account of the life of Jesus through the interrogation of an aged Petros done by the Romans. One gets the Roman perspective. Very good book.
Pia
La historia de Jesús contada de una manera muy original, diferente y amena. Me ha gustado mucho y hace reflexionar.
Stephanie
I read this because my son had to read it for his freshman religion class and I'm glad I did. Small but worthwhile.
Jeff Smith
Very good. Gives insight into how the Romans would have responded to early Christian teaching.
Lizziepeps
Perfect, beautiful & edifying.
Jamee
Rome & followers of Christ
Jamie
A good read!
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Amina
Amina marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
César Vidal (n. Madrid en 1958) es doctor en Historia, Teología y Filosofía y licenciado en Derecho. Ha ejercido la docencia en distintas universidades de Europa y América, y es actualmente catedrático de Historia en la Logos University (EE. UU.). Es colaborador habitual en medios de comunicación como El Mundo, Diario 16 o la cadena COPE. Defensor infatigable de los derechos humanos, ha sido disti ...more
More about César Vidal...
Los hijos de la luz El médico de Sefarad Artorius El Judío Errante El fuego del cielo