Start by marking “The Only Boy in the World: A Father Explores the Mysteries of Autism” as Want to Read:
The Only Boy in the World: A Father Explores the Mysteries of Autism

The Only Boy in the World: A Father Explores the Mysteries of Autism

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Only Boy in the World is a memoir, an investigation into what makes us human, a study of aberration, and a love story. It's about all the odd ways journalist Michael Blastland's autistic son, Joe, has of seeing the world and understanding others, and what that tells the rest of us about how we also tick. Through the strange stories of Joe's scrapes and confusions, he m ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published August 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Boy in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Boy in the World

Iamshadow
Dec 04, 2015 Iamshadow rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
This is a re-read for me; my original review was: "I expected to like this book a lot more from the reviews I read beforehand. Though Blastland's explanations for Joe's behaviour are interesting, I never really engaged with it. I may re-read it another time, to see if I 'click' better with it."

Given that in the first chapter, the author draws parallels between his son's behaviour and the behaviour of chimps and determines that chimps' social behaviour makes them more eligible for inclusion in wh
Aug 04, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i read about 50 pages in this book and i just could not get into it. i found myself constantly rereading paragraphs. this author had a completely forgettable voice. i thought that the subject would be really interesting, and it may have been, had it been written by someone else. if i struggle through a book, i usually make myself finish it, but i have now come to the realization that i only get to read so many books in my life and the list is very long. so, now i'm going to be a lil more choosy ...more
Jenn
Sep 13, 2007 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a special ed teacher I was excited to see that this book was listed as one of the year's best books for 2006. I was honestly surprised at how much this book opened my eyes. I have worked in special education for the past 8 school years, and I had a number of "ah-hah!" moments. It is written by the boy's father, and put a different viewpoint on this world. I highly recommend this book.
Rosa
Jul 24, 2007 Rosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer2007
This novel is strongest when the author brings in stories of his own son, who has autism. At times, the quoting of researchers is helpful and fascinating (and my much adored Professor Paul Bloom makes many an appearance), but the author uses way too many block quotes. In a few chunks, I got tired of wading through research and philosophy and skimmed to get back to the human side of the story.
Becky
Jan 09, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
I got a lot out of parts of this book. Especially when the author was writing about his personal experiences. It got a little philosophical in parts for me.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
It’s about all the odd ways journalist Michael Blastland's autistic son, Joe, has of seeing the world and understanding others, and what that tells the rest of us about how we also tick.
Cammi
Jan 24, 2008 Cammi rated it really liked it
A beautiful tribute to a boy with autism and the father who loves him.
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Lori Padgett
Lori Padgett marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Say
Say marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Liz
Liz added it
Apr 23, 2016
Leslie Felperin
Leslie Felperin rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Alana Lively
Alana Lively marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Tammy Hornbeck
Tammy Hornbeck marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Isimbi Johanna Beachy
Isimbi Johanna Beachy rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2016
katie lovatt
katie lovatt marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Sue Hirst
Sue Hirst rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Beardo Gomez
Beardo Gomez marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Vivian
Vivian rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Truls Krane
Truls Krane marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mohammad Alfaoori
Mohammad Alfaoori marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Jane Morgan
Jane Morgan rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Maddie Feder
Maddie Feder rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014