The Only Boy in the World: A Father Explores the Mysteries of Autism

The Only Boy in the World: A Father Explores the Mysteries of Autism

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Only Boy in the World is a memoir, an investigation into what makes us human, a study of aberration, and a love story. It's about all the odd ways journalist Michael Blastland's autistic son, Joe, has of seeing the world and understanding others, and what that tells the rest of us about how we also tick. Through the strange stories of Joe's scrapes and confusions, he m...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published August 18th 2006)

i read about 50 pages in this book and i just could not get into it. i found myself constantly rereading paragraphs. this author had a completely forgettable voice. i thought that the subject would be really interesting, and it may have been, had it been written by someone else. if i struggle through a book, i usually make myself finish it, but i have now come to the realization that i only get to read so many books in my life and the list is very long. so, now i'm going to be a lil more choosy...more
Jenn
As a special ed teacher I was excited to see that this book was listed as one of the year's best books for 2006. I was honestly surprised at how much this book opened my eyes. I have worked in special education for the past 8 school years, and I had a number of "ah-hah!" moments. It is written by the boy's father, and put a different viewpoint on this world. I highly recommend this book.
Rosa
This novel is strongest when the author brings in stories of his own son, who has autism. At times, the quoting of researchers is helpful and fascinating (and my much adored Professor Paul Bloom makes many an appearance), but the author uses way too many block quotes. In a few chunks, I got tired of wading through research and philosophy and skimmed to get back to the human side of the story.
Becky
I got a lot out of parts of this book. Especially when the author was writing about his personal experiences. It got a little philosophical in parts for me.
Iamshadow
I expected to like this book a lot more from the reviews I read beforehand. Though Blastland's explanations for Joe's behaviour are interesting, I never really engaged with it. I may re-read it another time, to see if I 'click' better with it.
Carolyn
More than any of the books I've read on autism, this helped me understand how the autistic mind (often) works. He writes really well, loving his son and yet looking at him objectively at times.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
It’s about all the odd ways journalist Michael Blastland's autistic son, Joe, has of seeing the world and understanding others, and what that tells the rest of us about how we also tick.
Cammi
A beautiful tribute to a boy with autism and the father who loves him.
Allen
Allen is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mimi Laso
Mimi Laso marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
IreneV
IreneV added it
Jan 04, 2014
Laura Romanowski
Laura Romanowski marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Kana
Kana marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Nicole Stewart
Nicole Stewart is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Feb 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Numbers Game: The Commonsense Guide to Understanding Numbers in the News, in Politics, and in Life The Tiger That Isn't: Seeing Through A World Of Numbers The Norm Chronicles: Stories and Numbers About Danger and Death Joe : The Only Boy in the World