Emissary (Percheron 2)

Emissary (Percheron #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  926 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Without Lazar's guiding hand and presence, the Stone Palace of Percheron has become a different place. Young Zar Boaz, mistrusting of his mother, Herezah, but too inexperienced to stand on his own, seeks counsel from the suddenly changed and secretive Vizier, who has a sinister agenda of his own.

As Herezah privately grieves for Lazar, she hatches an audacious plot to d

Mass Market Paperback, 660 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Voyager (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Emissary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emissary

The Literary Bystander (nxlee)
In a Nutshell:
So this book is the continuation of what happens in the first book. We have the Lyana subplot, especially with the characters like Pez and Lazar figuring out who is playing what role in this big "uprising" now that they have figured out who both Iridor and Maliz is. Ana basically tries to live an inconspicious life in the harem, but that is proving difficult because it is obvious that Boaz, the new Zar is just singling her out and not only that, but Herezah is out to get her for re...more
Lowed
Fiona McIntosh is a new favorite author P-E-R-I-O-D!

How do you classify a bad book from a good one? That was the one question I have asked after reading negative reviews of this series. And let me assure you, her books should sit right beside Robin Hobb just a step away from George RR Martin's.

So it still gets me to wondering, how could one rate this book so poorly when I have enjoyed this far better than Tolkien's The Two Towers. The comparison being that, both are book 2 of a trilogy. And you...more
Barbara ★
I had the same issues with book two as I had with the first book - I hate the whole harem thing and the way the girls are treated as well as the unnecessary brutality of this way of life. That aside, I really like this series. Of course, Lazar is my favorite character and what he has gone through is heartbreaking and unfortunately unending. And poor Ana, stuck in the harem, enslaved by the Zar and in love with Lazar. Will she ever catch a break?

I found myself screaming and wanting to slap the he...more
Rachel
It was a carbon copy of the first book. The only reason I kept reading it is because I liked the setting of the story. The characters were too stuck in their roles. Too predictable, and even though book 3 promises some kind of ending, I probably won't bother to read it.
Meril
My goodness, the Orientalism. I am just reading these to see what happens, although if I get any more offended than I already am, I am just going to stop. or continue on for mocking purposes (I do that a lot.) Sadly, this is going to color my reactions to her previous works.
Ithlilian
I absolutely loved Odalisque and couldn't wait to read Emissary. I was a little disappointed upon finishing to realize that not much had really happened. I wasn't expecting sword fights and tons of action though, I was expecting intriguing characters, and in that aspect I was not disappointed. The characters in this trilogy are dynamic and strong. Some may be unlikable, but they are meant to be. More than anything, I felt that they are realistic. Boaz is strong and comes off as harsh and rude at...more
Jaki
Fiona McIntosh really has a way of making a book so engrossing that you never want to put it down. Emissary, the second book in the Percheron Series, is no exception.

Following on from the previous story, Lazar the Spur is believed to be dead and so Ana is in mourning for him. With no glimmer of hope left in her harem life she is resound to live out her days with no chance of happiness, awaiting death, and in fact welcoming it. The Valide and Grand Master Eunuch Salmeo have plans that will aid i...more
RuthAnn
I've read some other reviews and I think I understand the problem that other readers have with this book. I understand, but I don't necessarily agree.

The second installment of the Percheron Saga is relatively tame in comparison to the first book. Other readers have said nothing happens, but that's untrue. This book is more of a political struggle than the first, both within Percheron and with the gods. It's a game of wits between characters and deities, but some big things happen. The goddess is...more
Maria M. Elmvang
Fiona McIntosh has a really bad habit of ending with a cliff-hanger, which gets rather tedious once you realise that all her books are like that. It's a shame too, because if it hadn't been for that, I would probably have rated this book higher than I did. The writing has improved from the first book in the series, and the characters are becoming much more complex. I enjoy Ana's no-nonsense way of handling Herezah, and found myself almost liking Maliz, now that he's abandoned all of Tariq's most...more
Deirdre
Definitely a mid-series read, this tells the story of Odalisque Ana and her finding a place in the Harem of Boaz. She has to watch herself as there are forces who can see that she has charisma and intend to ensure that she is controled.

She thinks her true love is dead but he isn't he's recovering from the dreadful punishment he has. His past is coming to reap it's revenge and he has to do what he can to survive.

Meanwhile the demon is finding his place, and trying to discover who has reincarnated...more
Jenna
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Again, just like in Odalisque, the prose is beautifully written, and describes a brutal world. Everyone is a pawn of their political leaders or their gods. The main characters are well drawn, but although I might like some of them, or at least hope they survive until the next book, I know that everyone is expendable.

Its telling when a character wishes for death as an escape and you really can't blame them; you even feel sorry for them when they don't die.

This is a middle book in a trilogy, so b...more
Lisa
Pretty good middle of a series book. Lazar is pretty pathetic for such a strong character, pining over Ana every five seconds. The diplomatic mission seems entirely pointless and in the end I guess it is. The end took me for a gigantic loop and waiting to find out what that is all about in the finale. Seems like it's taking forever for this forthcoming battle of the gods.
April
Jun 29, 2011 April added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any fantasy lover
Recommended to April by: Lucky m
Shelves: fantasy
Often with books you read the blurb on the back and it turns out that that is the best bit of the book.
With Fiona McIntosh the reverse is true, you read the blurb and think Oh, that might be ok, you read the book and WOW, you are caught u in a story you don't want to put down.

I would recommend her books to anyone who loves fantasy
Esme
Fun, keeps me reading, but one of those books where I'm often annoyed at it. I'd like less exposition and better characterization. The saying "Show, don't tell," could really be applied to this book. Let the dialogue and actions speak for the characters; don't have the narrator hash out everything.
Kristine
So so fantasy/alternate reality. But it's an easy read and gets me out of my political nf mood every once in awhile. The setting is the most intriguing as it is an alternate world view of the Muslim world in Istanbul. As I have visited that great city the series holds my interest.
Ralitsa Ivanova
i was expecting a little bit more action in the second book (looking at the title) but that was not the case. the plot by far gets more interesting and complex which really held my attention. There were more than one unexpected developments so definetely a very engaging book!
Kim
Arrgh. This is a sequel to another book I quite liked. However, this one started slow, and I slogged through it, and then by the end I quite liked where the plot was going. So now I have to read the next one.
January
The second book in the series definitely kept my interest and moved the story along at a good pace. I didn't know what I thought I knew from the first book, which is great! On to the last book in the series!
E'lyne
This book was another amazing Fiona Mcintosh book! I couldn't put it down! Love the characters and love the plot!The ending was anoyying though but im still going to read the last book of the series!
Cheryl
Like an illness, despite the lack of well-rounded characters I continue reading to see what might happen. This series frustrates me because if could be so much better - but it isn't.
Annette
Between my playing games on facebook I did get this series read. I went to the library to find the two remaining books after reading the first. It was easy for my mind to get lost in it.
Kim M-M
Pretty good fantasy adventure book. Loved the interplay between Lazur, Ana and Valdide. Strong characters and a great plot. Dialogue is really good with Ana.
jane
This is a hard series. Well written, but cruel to the characters. There are too many terrible ways to cause pain and kill people.
Maggie
Just couldnt get into it. Felt the characters were more stereotyped than in the first book, and the story line was too predictable.
Geary
Somewhat better than book 1 of this series -- the characters are coming along. Again, a little long on suffering.
Kirk
some very interesting plot twists. definitely looking forward to how the story unfolds in hte next book.
Emma Hansen
A good second book in the Percheron series. Well written, enchanting and a really marvelous story.
Stacy
Book two -- just as wonderful as the first!
Kristin
Read from 4/6 to 4/10.
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • Song of the Shiver Barrens (Mirage Makers, #3)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Alchemist's Key
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi...more
More about Fiona McIntosh...
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3) Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) Odalisque (Percheron, #1)

“I've told you before, Salmeo, you may be more woman than man but you cannot think like one of us.” 4 likes